General discussion

Cleaning Mouse 'ball'

I know its a silly question, but, what's a good cleaner for the mouse ball. I used water and soap and it helped some. any other suggestions. Sand paper, windex, buy a new mouse and forgetaboutit. Ha Ha Thanks in advance.
Eddie

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cleaning Mouse 'ball'
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cleaning Mouse 'ball'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
An optical mouse

has no balls. It is easier to use and keep clean.

- Collapse -
Dirty mice

My experience, before going optical, was that the ball carried its crud into the innards and particularly the rollers. These get all kinds of fiber wrapped and glued with who knows what. I would clean these with alcohol and sometimes had to carefully scrape the stuff off with the side of a wooden toothpick. These rollers are often attached to a spoked wheel type device that runs through an optical device and dust can get in the spindle bearings and slots in the wheels. A good compressed air blast might help but I've had to disassemble a few to clean. Another area of vulnerability is the cable. It flexes and wires break inside. If you're really good, you can shorten the mouses tail with some cutting and splicing. If not...new mice are so cheap these days. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Cleaning Mouse 'ball'

Open it (usually just one screw).
Q-tips, Cotton swabs, tooth picks, alcohol (<=70%).

Good Luck!

- Collapse -
Cleaning with Alcohol

Thanks for the advise everyone. Had not tried alcohol and I did see that new ones are cheap so if it doesn't seem to clean good than i'll just buy a new one. thanks again.
eddie

- Collapse -
Mouse

Eddie. get yourself an optical mouse. Mechanical mice have gone the way of the eighttrack. There is no cleaning hastle with the optical mice and they are not expensive. Cheers Stewart

- Collapse -
Cleaning mini-mouse

I have a small mouse I use with my laptop. It seems to attract lint, fuzz, etc. to its "innards".

I regularly remove the three screws, pop out the two encoder shafts, and remove all the build-up with tweezers and a kleenex, pop the shafts back in, and use it for another few months.

Where it picks up all this stuff is beyond me.

The ball is never the problem.

- Collapse -
Mouse ball

you are best to use air and rubbing alchol.you have to clean the levers inside the mouse as well if you need more help with this E-mail me at croganj@earthlink.net

CNET Forums

Forum Info