Laptops forum

General discussion

Cleaning Laptop Screen

Hi,

I just got a sony S series notebook and it has one of those Xbrite screens, which get dirty really fast. I tried cleaning it with a soft cloth but the fingure prints won't come off. Somebody suggested using an alcohol wipe.......is that okay? Does anyone know how to clean the screen without damaging it! Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaning Laptop Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaning Laptop Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Widely discussed.

In reply to: Cleaning Laptop Screen

Collapse -
no alcohol on laptop screen

Shariff,

I would not suggest using alcohol on your screen. Over time it will "yellow" the screen. This page has some information I found usefull: http://www.shaggymac.com/plugged.php

Their store has some really good laptop goodies. There are other stores online with similar items as well.

Collapse -
Lcd Cleaner Update

In reply to: no alcohol on laptop screen

Saw a post about Shaggymac's new lcd cleaner called Optimist Prime:

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=73

It looked good and I bought a bottle with their polishing cloth. It worked awesome! It is comforting to know that the cleaner you are using is "aerospace" grade and will safely clean any optical surface. The techs and network engineers at work were all impressed and ordered a case for the company. Many thumbs up.

Collapse -
laptop screen lcd cleaner and laptop screen protector

In reply to: Lcd Cleaner Update

Collapse -
What to use

I use a product called Klear Screen. In fact I swear by it. It is good for LCD and CDs & DVDs. It comes in pre-moistened wipes or with a pump bottle and cloths. I prefer the Bottle and clothes as it is more economical. It is availible online and at computer shops. Later,

Kstorm

Collapse -
What to Use

In reply to: What to use

Where might we be able to buy Klear Screen?

Mark

Collapse -
PC

In reply to: What to Use

Collapse -
alcohol BASED cleaners are fine....

As an Optician, we primarily use lens cleaners that are all (mostly) alcohol based cleaners. If you want to clean your screen properly, buy some optical quality lens cleaner (good for AR coated lenses) and also get an optical lint-less shamy too. You will not regret it.

my $0.02

Collapse -
alcohol will clean but.....

In reply to: alcohol BASED cleaners are fine....

Yes it will clean but not intended for use on the coating on an LCD screen .....Over time it will discolor the display..........REMEMBER PC SCREENS ARE NOT GLASS!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Microfiber Cleaning Cloths

Check out the Microfiber Cleaning Cloths. They do a great job of removing fingerprints and smudges from the screen. 3M sells one under the Scotch-Brite brand. You can find them in hardware, drug stores and grocery stores.

-Mark

Collapse -
I second the notion

In reply to: Microfiber Cleaning Cloths

I agree. Whatever cleaning products you decide to use, always keep a microfiber cloth on hand. I use them all over the place; I keep 1 with my digital camera, 1 set aside for my computer LCD screen, and 1 for my truck windows. More often then not, you can use them dry to buff off fingerprints and the like. You can buy an 8 pack of them at Wal-mart for about $5, I think (in the automtive cleaning isle in most stores...or electronics, depending on the size of the cloth you want.

Collapse -
How to clean laptop screens

Hey, clean it with a soft cloth damped with a little water ok reply me at(zakiuddins@mail.com)
I hped this helped you
Nice laptop by the way new technology(xbrite)

Collapse -
Cleaning laptop screens

The best and safest way is use a quart of warm water (preferably distilled water, which will not leave deposits) plus ONE or TWO drops of detergent to lower surface tension - not more. Anything more than this may be too harsh for some screens. This method is very good for removing stubborn fingerprints. However, some screens that look simple enough actually have a delicate chemical coating, so beware of rubbing too hard. It is also good for the coated glass used on some monitor screens, and LCD screens generally. I should add that I recently had a 17" NEC CRT whose glass cover was coated. I foolishly started rubbing with alcohol and removed a small area of the coating. The result is, I'm stuck with a clear patch the size of a penny which constrasts with the rest of the screen where the coating is intact. So beware of rubbing too hard with anything! I don't know about commercial wipes.

Collapse -
Cleaning laptop screens

In reply to: Cleaning laptop screens

I agree to 100%. For me it seems that people in general dont understand how strong solvent alkohol is.

Collapse -
cleaning laptop screens

In reply to: Cleaning laptop screens

so warm water with ne or two drops of detergetn shall do it. soap works fine also? mine is a 15.4" WGA TrubriteScreen.

Thanks

Collapse -
Klear Screen is available

In reply to: cleaning laptop screens

at Apple stores or through Apple online. Google it and you may find it cheaper.

Collapse -
screen cleaning

In reply to: cleaning laptop screens

I use Zeiss opticl cleaning wipes or regular non-alcohol cleaning solution from Wal-mart on eye glasses,screens,cd and dvds.

Collapse -
Never use paper!

Never use anythig with wood or other plant fibers because you risk adding micro-scratches to the finish.

Also, never use solvents. Iso-propyl alchohol is generally okay but you should only need water with a mild detergent.

Don't press hard when rubbing or drying.

Wipe slowly.

Always use a clean wipe. If your wiping cloth has dirt in it, you might as well use sandpaper.

Collapse -
Cleaning high-gloss notebook screens

Shariff,

I am with a company called ScreenTek and we are the largest replacement notebook screen supplier. So we have to deal with cleaning hundreds of notebook screens a day, both traditional antiglare and the newer high-gloss versions officially called antireflective which include Sony XBRITE, Toshiba TruBrite, HP BrightView, etc. We had many of our own customers ask us about how to clean screens in general and more specifically high-gloss so we went out and developed our own product called PixelClean.

First, never use anything like Windex which contains ammonia as this will permanently etch the polarizer of the LCD screen. Every LCD uses a polarizer which is a layer of film affixed to the outside of the glass. Secondly, isopropyl alcohol should not hurt the screen, but it is not always as effective on high-gloss screens. Thirdly, always use a non-scratching cleaning cloth as polarizers can easily scratch especially the high-gloss LCDs.

Collapse -
Laptop screen cleaners

Just bought new HP laptop.When screen needs cleaning I need info on

what product to use.

Thanks,
jif13

Collapse -
cleaning lap top screen

Hi, I accidentally sprayed nail glue on my brand new toshiba laptop screeen.... I unfortunately wiped it with a papertowel and now it is streaked. Don't know what to do or if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to get this off. HELP!!!!!!

Collapse -
Good news.

In reply to: cleaning lap top screen

This MIGHT be cheap to fix.

Look up LAPTOP SCREEN REPLACEMENT and add what COUNTRY you are in on google. Now call them up and ask if yours used a top protective film. Some did, most don't but these folk may know.
Bob

Collapse -
Cleaning Laptop Screen

I use ordinary baby wipes and never had any problem. If it's too moist, just squeeze out the extra moisture from the wipe before applying.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.