PC Applications forum

General discussion

Cleaning info off hard drive

by carol914 / March 11, 2007 3:23 PM PDT

We have a computer we want to give to a non-profit we support,but we want to remove any private files and info from it. PC based computer with XP . Appreciate your ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaning info off hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaning info off hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link to discussion about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 4:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thats quite drastic
by mark04276 / March 11, 2007 10:00 PM PDT

If you have a restore disk that came with your computer, I would use that to restore the computer back to the state you recieved it in. There will probally be an option to delete all information first, I would.

If you dont have a restore disk, you will have to manually go through and delete personal folders and files. You can go into control panel and under User Accounts you can add a new name such as New User and make that with administative rights, then delete all other accounts, you will still have to manually remove other personal folders and files. You cn also go through Add/Remove Programs and remove programs there.

Giving a non-profit a computer that cant even boot up, may be useless to them, if they dont have computer knowledge.

Collapse -
Giving a machine that boots is a clue to thieves.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Thats quite drastic

Don't count on restore CDs to clean the hard disk.

Don't take the chance, DBAN the drive, if you feel you must reinstall the OS then do so.

Bob

Collapse -
Cleaning info from hard drive that is to be donated to non p
by carol914 / March 12, 2007 9:44 AM PDT

So what is DBAN? is that a program that cleans the hard drive?

Collapse -
Yes...

DBAN is a free utility (click here to download) that overwrites all data on your hard drive with random 1s and 0s a set number of times, ensuring your files cannot be retrieved. It'll take a good hour or more to complete, but it is quite thorough and the only way to go if you are concerned about personal information being handed over to others.

John

Collapse -
Reloading programs
by carol914 / March 14, 2007 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

After I use DBAN, Can I then reload XP and then other programs I use?
Is it that easy?
Thanks,
Carol

Collapse -
As long as you have them on CD...
by John.Wilkinson / March 14, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Reloading programs

It's that easy provided you still have the CDs containing Windows XP and any programs you want to reinstall. It's a little time consuming to reinstall everything, but it's doable in an afternoon. Just make sure that you backup any files on the computer that you wish to keep...DBAN will permanently erase them all.

John

Collapse -
Thanks
by carol914 / March 14, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

your info has been very helpful.. Now on to the time commitment.
Carol

Collapse -
Opening DBAN
by donq / June 30, 2007 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Just picked up on this information as I am planning to pass on an old pc to charity. As advised I downloaded DBAN to my Desktop (it wouldn't download to a CD). However when I attempt to open the file I am faced with the message "Does not have a programme associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel". I cannot get any further and would appreciate any advice.

Collapse -
Is that the dban-1.0.7_i386.exe file?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2007 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Opening DBAN
Collapse -
DBAN
by donq / July 1, 2007 1:58 AM PDT

Thanks for your help Mark. I will give this a try!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?