PC Hardware forum

Question

Cleaned computer, now runs games extremely slow?

by Naggles871 / June 3, 2015 5:45 AM PDT

Hi everyone, hope you can give me some insight to my issue because I have no idea what has happened.

Yesterday, I decided to clean the dust from my computer as well as check my CPU for any damage because lately it has been running very very hot (I didn't remove the CPU, just the fan and checked around it and didn't have any issues removing or putting the fan back in). Now once I started my computer again I tried running games such as BF4/LoL/HotS, and everytime a lot of action would occur my FPS would drop to 2-3, where I used to run everything at a solid 30-60 FPS.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? My specs show that everything is working as it should and I am not well-versed enough to tell a difference in the performance, nor do I have logs from before this happened using the 3dmark benchmark.

If you need more info just let me know I will be monitoring this very closely, thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaned computer, now runs games extremely slow?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaned computer, now runs games extremely slow?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
OK, I have to guess that's the CPU thermal paste.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2015 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
GPU
by Naggles871 / June 3, 2015 10:10 AM PDT

I am going to check out everything in my PC and make sure it's all plugged in correctly. I could have bumped something without my knowledge but I feel like when I checked my information it would have told me that something was not working correctly whereas it says everything is working. I will give an update once I do this, thanks.

Collapse -
But Bob's Right
by itsdigger / June 3, 2015 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: GPU

If your GPU is old or even new , you should apply new thermal paste .
I have 2 brand new Nvidia 750 TI GPU's and right out of the box I removed and replaced with new thermal paste as from the factory I could see that it was way too thick .

Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Thermal paste
by Naggles871 / June 3, 2015 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Link only

I applied thermal paste when I cleaned it, sorry forgot to mention it.

Collapse -
Answer
might want to open the case again
by renegade600 / June 3, 2015 6:40 AM PDT

you may need to go back into the case and recheck all cables and cards to make sure all is securely connected and seated. also remove the graphic card and reseat it.

Collapse -
GPU reseat
by Naggles871 / June 3, 2015 10:08 AM PDT

Will do, i will update once I check this out. Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!