Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Clean Reinstall of XP

I was wondering how many times that you are allowed to do a clean reinstall of your OS. Mine has been installed on the same pc two times. The first was just on top of windows ME. The second was a clean reinstall, with assistance from a Microsoft tech. Not knowing how to do it, or just too scared to try it, I contacted Microsoft for help. I have a 20 gig hard drive as master & a 40 gig as slave. The tech broke my 20gig into two partitions. I am now down to 2.93gigs on C drive. I tried moving files to one of the others, but it doesn't help. I had IE6 on here and I guess Microsoft thought I should have IE7, because that's what I have now. Can a "COMPLETE CLEAN REINSTALL" be done again without bad problems at the end? I need to do something as my pc is getting slower and slower. I have SP2 on a disk as well as all the ME disks, and the XP disks. Not sure what other info you need to help, let me know and I'll try to answer. Please help me. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clean Reinstall of XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clean Reinstall of XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wra, A Few Things That Should Help...

In reply to: Clean Reinstall of XP

First, as long a you have the original CD and the legal CD key, you can reinstall it as many times as you want... After 3, I believe, you may need to make a telephone call to Microsoft so you can reactivate XP, but there is no charge and they generally do it quite easily..

Next, click on the link below and follow the steps to eliminate unnecessary startup programs and services. For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom. It should speed things up substantially.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

And next, in order eliminate some of the junk files on your C drive and give you some more space, please follow the instructions below:

First, since you only have a 20 GB C" partition, try decreasing the amount of space that System Restore uses like this: RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "System Restore" tab, then click ONCE on the C drive listing and click on the "Settings" button. When that loads, move the "Disk Space to Use" slider to something lower, try 10%, then click on OK.

Next, click on the links below and follow the instructions to eliminate unneeded files from the computer. For Windows XP, it's best to NOT delete the .chk files that you find...

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Once that's done, because you have Service Pack 2 on your computer, follow the instructions in the link below to tidy up a little more.

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
the clean reinstall on XP

In reply to: Wra, A Few Things That Should Help...

I forgot to mention that when the tech guy helped me the last time, he connected me to another lady and she had me type in a different activation number, than what was on my disk. Will this make a difference? And what about the EI6 switching to EI7, (NOT BECAUSE I DOWNLOADED IT) it just switched on it's own one day. Will that be ok or will I be stuck without a browser? Thanks!

Collapse -
If You've Still Got The Key Number From Microsoft...

In reply to: the clean reinstall on XP

...you should be able to use it again when you reinstall.. Either that, or you can contact Microsoft again during the validation process.

As to IE6 vs IE7, when you reinstall, it will automatically install IE6.. In order to secure your computer after reinstalling XP, you should immediately go to the Windows Update site and download/install all of the Critical Updates listed there EXCEPT for Internet Explorer 7.. When performing the updates at the Windows Update site, check through the long list of updates recommended for your computer and simply UNCHECK the one for IE7 and then place a CHECK mark in the box which "removes" that particular updates in further searches.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Clean Reinstall of XP

In reply to: If You've Still Got The Key Number From Microsoft...

I just punched the new number in, as she gave it to me over the phone. The tech guy done something so he could take control of my pc over the phone, since I'm on dial-up. Is there a place on my pc somewhere that the number would be? I know I'm probably becoming a pain, but I need ALL the help I can get. Even though he walked me through the clean install, I'm not 100% comfortable trying it on my own. Thanks for all your advise.

Collapse -
To Check For Your Current Key Number...

In reply to: Clean Reinstall of XP

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.