HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Clean Msconfig

by lions / December 9, 2004 12:12 PM PST

I open my msconfig file and unchecked many programs I don't need to start at power up.I woud like to know how to delete those lines not needed any longer in my msconfig file.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clean Msconfig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clean Msconfig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Clean Msconfig
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Clean Msconfig
Collapse -
by lions / December 9, 2004 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Clean Msconfig

Thanks Bob. I think I didn't explain correct; what I want is to remove all those unchecked lines; they never cause any harm exept loading up to many programs at power up. Are 20 lines which do no good. I kept only 5 to open at boot up.
Thank you.

Collapse -
by glb613 / December 9, 2004 6:48 PM PST

Once the programs are unchecked, they don't load at startup. Modifiying the registry to remove these from the msconfig list will not improve the performance of your computer. And if you don't know what you are doing or do it incorrectly, you could make a real mess of your computer for no gain.

Collapse -
And I think you didn't try this software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 7:53 PM PST

As such, you dismissed it and missed an easy fix.

Bob

Collapse -
by Ameth / December 9, 2004 12:29 PM PST

Hey Buddy my name is Ameth. I'm from Panama, I have news for you. You can't erase those lines at msconfig. The only thing you can't at msconfig is disable those files by clicking in a little square.

Collapse -
Re: Clean Msconfig - YOU CAN!
by pearljamkornfan / December 9, 2004 2:37 PM PST

**THIS IS FOR WINXP HOME SP2, I am unsure about XP PRO.**

Actually, you can. **BE VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU DO THIS.** It deals with modifying your registry, so make a backup if you feel unsafe. I believe you will need ADMINISTRATOR privileges. Go to start, the click run and type regedit. Then click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then the + next to "SOFTWARE" then the + next to "Microsoft" then the + next to "Shared Tools" then the + next to "MSCONFIG" then "startupreg". Here you should see a list of items that are in the box. BE CAREFUL that you do not disable anything required by your drivers and make sure that what you are deleting you won't need to re-enable. REMEMBER, make a back up of your registry just incase! This worked for me, so if anyone else is interested!

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / December 9, 2004 2:30 PM PST

You can try to remove some of them by removing their 'root' programs at Control Panel> Add/Remove. Most of them are 'system' programs, i.e. they are part and parcel of the OS, so removing them, if that is possible, may destroy the OS. Can you give examples of what you want to remove ?

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / December 9, 2004 8:31 PM PST

Here's another answer similar with the following message.

Before doing the following procedure, create a Restore Point. Click Start, Run type regedit and press Enter.

Expand the following path:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Note

HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Under this path there are subfolders. Click each subfolder "one by one" and look in the right pane. You'll find the corresponding info with what's displayed on the disabled items under Startup Tab. Delete the unecessary items.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by lions / December 9, 2004 10:55 PM PST

Thank you very much to all of you for your great help.I got the picture and I remove those lines with no problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.