General discussion

Clean installation of windows 7 Pro XP mode

I just received my new laptop Dell Vostro V13 with Win7 Pro XP mode pre-installed.

I had win XP on my previous laptop and I am not quite familiar with win 7.

My V13 comes with 500GB hard disk and 4GB RAM. Right now, the HD is divided in 3 volumes as partitioned by Dell:
- one with no name of 39MB
- one called RECOVERY of 14.65 GB NTFS
- one called OS (CHappy of 451.07 GB NTFS where OS was pre-installed

I would like to partition my disk properly in Win 7 and have OS on one partition, eventually applications on another and data on a third.

I have chatted with Dell but they would not provide support/advice as far as partitioning is concerned.

I understand that a reformatting of the disk is necessary and that the 2 first volumes below will be deleted so no more original factory settings system recovery will be possible.

I also read that there is no point installing applications on a different partition than OS if it is on the same disk.

I would like to have the best hard disk partitioning config before I start installing my applications: MS office, etc and migrating my data.

Appreciate the input of anybody out there who can give come advice on how to partition my disk, number of partitions and size.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Clean installation of windows 7 Pro XP mode
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Clean installation of windows 7 Pro XP mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First question: Why are you wanting to reformat & reinstall?

Except for the unnamed partition,I have not noticed that before but do not have a new Dell either. There is nothing out of line. The Recovery partition is the accepted form (by the manufacturer's)of giving you a system disk. If you mess with that partition, be sure the Recovery DVD has been created or the if OS is lost, there is no restore.
Just leave it alone, IMHO, and install the apps.

- Collapse -
why

thanks for your interest, because i want to create a partition D for my data files and Dell told me it is the only way to do it, i.e. Reformatting the disk although they won't accept to take me through it.

- Collapse -
You're right.

Installing Windows (any version) is not something makers will walk you through. Even I can't do it here because I don't have the exact step by step plan ready. There are PLENTY of online guides but you posted in this forum so I take it that guides are unacceptable.

For now, why not put your files in their own folder and backup that folder since partitions don't save us from today's pests and more.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info