Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Clean Install with Windows 7..What about my peripherals?

by jmoran / October 14, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Am I correct to assume that the Windows 7 DVD will "find" all the device drivers or anything that is needed for my printer, mouse, keyboard and for my installed devices such as the video card et all?
Also any other important things to do prior to the clean install in addition to a complete backup?
Thanks!!! I'm no geek here!
PS: Vista Home to Windows 7 Home

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clean Install with Windows 7..What about my peripherals?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clean Install with Windows 7..What about my peripherals?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I did a clean install of Windows 7 RC
by orlbuckeye / October 14, 2009 9:35 PM PDT

and it installed everything except sound drivers on a laptop that is 5 years old.

Collapse -
I hate to say no, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

If you make that assumption, and then Windows 7 fails to find the correct drivers, what will you do then?

Windows 7 is good and all I can say is, it "might" find all the drivers, especially if this is an original Vista install that is being replaced. The Windows 7 DVD certainly has a large library of possible drivers. But how can we tell? For instance, when you added that printer to the Vista system, did you have to install any software from the CD that came with the printer?

It is always best to be prepared for any eventuality.

Mark

Collapse -
windows 7 clean install
by Paul kench / October 16, 2009 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I hate to say no, but

Re clean install windows 7.

I did a clean install on my Fujitsu Siemens.Amilo laptop Pc. I played safe and fitted a new hard drive,connected all that is normally used including all in one printer.
No problems at all found all drivers and works well,I also have a disc of windows XP Drivers,which I have used when pluging in extra hardware.when asked for installation disc have used this one each time( XP drivers do work on windows 7 ).
Best wishes with windows 7.
Paul.

Collapse -
Maybe but maybe not
by villanim / October 17, 2009 12:25 PM PDT

Just because your system is running Vista does not mean all the drivers will be in Win 7. And to be honest, the version you are looking at is not worth upgrading to at all, as it is nothing but Vista Home with a new name, at the minimum you should upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium or Professional (there are two home versions Home Basic and Home Premium, avoid Basic at all costs, five versions of Win 7 in all). Home Premium will fill the bill for most users, but if you have software and hardware that will not install or run under Vista than you will want to upgrade to Win 7 Professional as it supports Windows XP mode which will allow you to run your older XP apps without having to upgrade them as well - See this for more info http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

See this for the comparisons of the different versions of Win 7
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!