Computer Help forum

General discussion

Clean Install or not?

Hi, I'm giving my old computer away to my sister, should I do a clean install or just go to system tools and do a system restore.
I've never done a clean install before, by using the windows xp disc that came with the computer.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clean Install or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clean Install or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
EXACTLY Which Discs Came With The Computer?

In reply to: Clean Install or not?

In addition, which computer brand and model number are you using?

Basically, when passing on a computer which contains your personal data, it's probably a good idea to at least, format the drive and reinstall everything from scratch.. (Business computers or computers with highly sensitive information should take other precautions to fully wipe the drive before reinstalling.)

Reformatting the drive and reinstalling all software plus drivers can be an easy task if the discs supplied with your computer are Recovery Discs which offer the operating system plus all drivers and software.. If such are available, place the first disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer and follow the prompts to boot from the CD and then install all software.

If you only have an XP disc and no other software or driver discs, you'll need to get copies of those drivers so the hardware on the computer will function correctly.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Computer

In reply to: EXACTLY Which Discs Came With The Computer?

The computer is an E-Machine T5026.

Collapse -
Other options

In reply to: Computer

There is a program out there called index.dat remover that you can download for free that will scan your computer and list and also allow you remove all found *.dat files on your machine, as well as view the contents of those files.

If you're unfamiliar, a *.dat file is a file that stores information about the user, sites visited, encrypted user name/passwords, credit card information, all that kind of stuff is stored in the *.dat file. And, your computer normally has several of them floating around on it. You use this program to essentially clean your personal information off the computer without having to reformat/reload the system. It is an option.

Collapse -
The eMachine T5026 Has A Recovery Partition?

In reply to: Computer

Although it's important that you create a separate set of Recovery Discs using their Recovery Creation utility BEFORE reformatting and restoring the computer, the T5026 will easily perform the task by using the Recovery partition. (I believe you press the F11 key during startup to access the Recovery Partition options.) The "Help and Support" shortcut in the Start Menu should get you headed in the right direction for using such.. Your Owners Manual may also have such.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
computer

In reply to: The eMachine T5026 Has A Recovery Partition?

Thanks for the help, you were right on about the F11. Thanks again

Collapse -
System Restore Doesn't "Clean" Unwanted Files.

In reply to: Clean Install or not?

If you choose to go the "less secure" router, the a "System Restore" doesn't won't help.. If you choose to not perform a Clean Install as I listed earlier, you will still want to remove all your personal documents, files, and personal programs from the computer.. That will require a fair amount of work on your part by cleaning out the "My Documents" folder, clearing all the various internet surfing and download tracks, uninstalling any programs you don't want to pass on, and basicallly removing anything you don't want your sister to have.. There are a number of effective tools which will allow you to remove internet tracks but only YOU can decide which documents, pictures, music, and other files you want to remove.. It takes a little work but it's do-able.

It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.