General discussion

clean install of windows 7 professional

Hey, I am planning on moving from windows vista home premium to windows 7 professional. So i will have to do a clean install of windows 7. I was wondering, how do i know which of my local disks my operating system is on? I have a D, E, F, and C. I'm not much of a computer guy, but "Local Disk C" is the largest. (I ask this because I know when i do the custom install of 7 its going to ask me to choose the disk my current Operating System is on)

Also, what type of files should I backup? Can i do this via a 4GB USB drive? I have all the reinstallation CD's my computer originally came with. Do i need to reinstall all of those?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: clean install of windows 7 professional
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: clean install of windows 7 professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you research

How Windows Assigns Drive Letters you discover that there are rules about that and that each install can have differing drive letters.

Now that you know that you can't count on C being C or D is D you only need to know this -> "We only lose what we don't backup."

Installing any OS is not safe enough to write "having your files on another drive or partition is safe." That's some urban legend that won't die. Yes, it works most of the time but for those that it didn't they learned it the hard way.

Try this. Unplug all drives you don't want Windows to touch. Place the target drive on lowest channel of SATA on that board and begin the install followed by all the drivers then when it is all working, power down and connect one drive, boot up and see what happens.
Bob

- Collapse -
Can i do this via a 4GB USB drive?

You can if they are less then 4 GB in total, but don't rely on it alone, anything important to you put on dvd's.
I've seen too many sad stories of failing USB drives.
You can use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save files and settings, don't use the one in Vista.
To use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard:
Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory.

- Collapse -
Do I buy an IPAD or wait

Obviously you must be young since you state your birhday is coming up.

Here is my answer, please respect your parent's money and always requesting and desiring the latest and the greatest. When you start to work and earn money...you will find out you will never have any money saved up. The important things in Life: family, home and cars cost a lot of money.

The IPAD is another Apple gimmick designed to increase Apple's net worth and have the stocks go up to the moon.

So if you want to spend your parent's money then get a NETBOOK or small laptop (13.3 inch screen). Why pay for something with decrease functionality...which could be just a fad.

- Collapse -
I'd love to discuss iPad.

For us the iPad is no gimmick. We are looking at it replacing an over thousand buck (much more than!) device that configures some gear. At 500 bucks it would be quite a savings.

Someone told me once "the right tool for the job."
Bob

CNET Forums