Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Clay, is there a particular reason

Why you are 'bumping' so many threads back to the top when there hasn't been any new discussion going on in them over the last couple of days? Just wondering because you haven't added anything to the threads either.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clay, is there a particular reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clay, is there a particular reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Clay, is there a particular reason

In reply to: Clay, is there a particular reason

he'z dun testin the system miz toni, he's a thunkin 'ifn it's good fer the goose, it'll have tuh be ambrozia fer the gander'

Wink

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Clay, is there a particular reason

??????????????

Collapse -

My guess is that he's trying to move Blake's posts down and bring some other topics back to the first page.

Collapse -
Hehehe, I bet the gander couldn't care less.

I was curious about the bumps also. I was thinking it was some kind of code.

Richard

Collapse -
Re: Hehehe, I bet the gander couldn't care less.

In reply to: Hehehe, I bet the gander couldn't care less.

Code? You mean a quiet protest and self-help to remedy the same.

Collapse -

This is easily the most annoying behavior anyone has displayed on the new software.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wouldn't go that far. Maybe "equates with"? understa

Collapse -
and your buddys blakes flooding is ok in your eyes why am i

not surprissed Sad

Collapse -
Re: and your buddys blakes flooding is ok in your eyes why a

In reply to: and your buddys blakes flooding is ok in your eyes why am i

I have no idea, Mark. I would not even hazard a guess as to what triggers different emotional responses in your mind.

But thanks for making your contribution to the discussion.

Dan

Collapse -
I'll give you this.

At least you know what a discussion is. Pass that knowledge onward.

Collapse -
Knowledge

In reply to: I'll give you this.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well said Mark - I was thinking of doing the same :)

In reply to: and your buddys blakes flooding is ok in your eyes why am i

Collapse -
Adding to the annoyance

Some of the post do not include the (NT) description even thought there is, of course, no message. So, now Clay wants everyone to scan the entire thread to look for new messages when there are none, and to open his silly bump message to look for content that doesn't exist.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How is that happening?

In reply to: Adding to the annoyance

Collapse -
Re: (NT) How is that happening?

In reply to: (NT) How is that happening?

It happens because of the software change. If you bump one topic with the word 'Bump' in the subject line it and the 'NT' for you and posts the message. When you try to bump a second topic it says that your message wasn't posted because it's a duplicate or your last post so you have to put the NT in yourself and put something like a pair of tags in the body to get it to post. It's just a hiccup in the new code they deployed to eliminate the dupes that were showing up.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its a fluke as its done that to me when i post nt sue

In reply to: Adding to the annoyance

Collapse -

Because I can...

Collapse -
Just be aware

that there are consequences for disrupting the forums...deliberately...

Just because I can.....too

TONI

Collapse -
So ....

In reply to: Just be aware

... if I bump posts to the top, and my asserted reason is because I find them interesting and hope that will generate more comment by keeping them from getting shoved to the bottom, would that be OK?

I think you can tell that quite a few of us are rather frustrated by the inconsiderate behavior of some that seem to slide by because they have historically been "squeaky wheels". JMO.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You nailed it! Evie:)

In reply to: So ....

Collapse -
Please don't rock this boat

In reply to: So ....

There is a huge difference between bumping a post to the top in order to keep dialog going and bumping multiple posts to the top "just because you can" with this software in an attempt to disrupt the forums.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Please don't rock this boat

In reply to: Please don't rock this boat

I understand Toni, but you moderators must please understand our frustration with the flooding of the forum by one member. If he continues with such behavior, I think it would be well within the rights of other forum members to bump topics that have gotten shoved to the next page back to the top so that they might at least stand a chance of being read and/or the conversation continue.

I am also trying to figure out that if I state that to be my intent, would the mods call it disruptive?

Evie Happy

Collapse -

In reply to: Please don't rock this boat

Toni I don't think any one wants to rock this boat, BUT
I also think that when one person knocks every post to a different page HE is also disrupting the forum!
Maybe a word from the mods about flooding would help?
There are quite a few SE members upset about the flood.
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We're working on it now...have patience, please

In reply to: Re: Please don't rock this boat

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Please consult the 14 of 30 thread no longer accessible

In reply to: (NT) We're working on it now...have patience, please

Collapse -
James you should have posted the date......

In reply to: (NT) Please consult the 14 of 30 thread no longer accessible

on the 14 of 30 thread. Posted on June 14th.
I had posted one the day before that, it was pulled.
At the time of posting the flooding had been going on at least a week. Not sure exactly when it started as I didn't do a search.
I think the length of time this has been going on shows we were all very patient waiting for something to be done.
Glenda

Collapse -
And I was just trying to...

In reply to: James you should have posted the date......

...get Blake to think about what he was doing and how it looked in hopes he would reconsider. Instead it seemed to increase even more.

Collapse -
I think everyone saw that:)

In reply to: And I was just trying to...

I thought your post was tactfulHappy Unlike mine! hehehe
Glenda

Collapse -

Moderators are members, too.

Historically, folks don't appear to have any trouble finding the topics that interest them. And from the thread counts, the ones that draw the highest traffic are often the contentious ones. Now that subscribing is available, that makes it easier to continue discussions later. (I haven't used that feature, but hope it works.)

Sure, ANYBODY can BUMP. But note that the opposition can do the same thing.

So now we can expect BUMP wars?

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I think people have actually shown remarkable...

...restraint in not posting numerous "no comment" newslines in retaliation. I fear one morning coming here and finding 3-5 pages of nothing but the morning's newlines, all without a bit of comment or discussion whatever on them. If "bumps" are censored, but "newslines" aren't, then what else would the eventual outcome of that be, other than a "newsline" war? Something or some requirement in regards to "newsline posting" needs to be implemented before there is such a war.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.