TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Clarification of "monitor only" HDTV?

I see some "monitor-only" flat panel HDTV's selling for less than those with built-in receivers. Does a digital cable input make the receiver unnecessary, or will something extra still be required?

Also, do HDTV screens generally render non-HD signals about as well as an analog TV, or a little worse, or a lot worse? Or does it vary from screen to screen?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clarification of "monitor only" HDTV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clarification of "monitor only" HDTV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MONITOR NO PROBLEM BUT YOU MUST

In reply to: Clarification of "monitor only" HDTV?

Make sure it has at least two h.d.m.i. inputs. 1 for you hi-def cable or satellite system (which you must have) and the second for your d.v.d. player/ Then you will need a 5.1 audio system, Run all your vidio straight to the t.v. and audio to the amp.Most folks that own a t.v. with tuner amp and speakers never use them anyway good luck stewe

Collapse -
Clarification of the clarification

In reply to: MONITOR NO PROBLEM BUT YOU MUST

Will a "monitor only" TV play right off the cable hookup, or will it also require a converter box of some sort? That's only a few dollars extra a month, but it counts on the total cost of ownership.

Collapse -
My guess is exactly what the term "monitor only" mean.

In reply to: Clarification of the clarification

If your cable box is for HDef. then the monitor work as a tv without adaptor in between. It problaly means the monitor have an hdmi input or at least a dvi input connection.

Collapse -
I think anyone advertise "monitor only HDTV" ...

are being dishonest. They make up phrase to fit their need. I would stay away from them just on general principle.

Collapse -
YOU'RE A BIT MISTAKEN. HDTV MONITORS ARE ALL OVER..........

In reply to: I think anyone advertise "monitor only HDTV" ...

THE PLACE, PARTICULARLY AT TV STUDIOS. PANASONIC MAKES SEVERAL HDTV MONITORS. YES, they have NO speakers, NO tuners, NO frills, to say the least, but BUSINESS & PROFESSIONAL monitors are available to those who choose them!

TRY PANASONIC'S web-site for MONITORS, they are not inexpensive!!!
But, they look FANTASTIC.

http://www.panasonic.com

CLICK ON: "business & professional", go to "professional video", then "MONITORS & PLASMA DISPLAYS"

Hope this helps you. Monitor only HD plasmas exist.

River.

Collapse -
--

If you're definitely going to get HD cable/sat, and/or can live without over-the-air broadcasts, there's nothing wrong with HD monitors. I'm using mine to type this message right now...

HDTVs have more pixels than analog TVs. That's pretty obvious. When you watch an SD source on an HDTV, the image is stretched to fill the screen and use all the pixels. The stretching process, which is called interpolation, is what causes people to complain. That, and the raw detail of an HD source, which in comparison makes SD look blurry (even on a 100% digital SD source). If you watch some channels in HD and some in SD, it's very easy to notice how bad the SD channels look, but they really just look bad in comparison.

An SD source on a SD TV has one pixel in the signal for each pixel of the TV. The same is generally true for HDTV, though ABC, FOX, etc use 720p signals (for now). ANYWAY, when you have an SD source on an HDTV, that one pixel now is stretched two or three times, and also some of the rendered pixels are given an intermediate value between two signal pixels (I hope that makes sense) to try to blend the colors together, attempting to smooth the transition. Anyway, THAT'S interpolation. The stretching. And this is done internally by the TV, so how it looks can vary from one set to another, but none of them do it particularly well because the number of pixels across and down of HDTVs aren't whole-number-multiples of an SD set.

Okay, enough words.... look:
SD res is 480 vertical lines
HD res is either 720 or 1080 vertical lines

480 x 2 = 960, so in order to fill a 1080-line TV, some pixels are dowbled, and some of the pixels have to stretched to 3 pixels, blurred, blended, etc. On a 720-line set, the pixels have to be stretched ~1.5 times. This makes it look inherently blurry.

If you have an LCD computer monitor, you can see interpolation at work when you use a display resolution lower than the "native resolution" (the actual number of pixels physically in the monitor). For example, if the monitor has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024, and you change the computer's res to 800x600, the screen will look blurry because the 800 pixels in the signal need to be stretched to fill the 1280 pixels of the monitor. When you watch a DVD on your computer this will happen too. If you watch the movie in window, it'll look okay, but when you go fullscreen, it'll look blurry in comparison.

Even if the HD formats had 960 lines, and no blurring was used in the interpolation, people would complain that SD sources look blocky and pixelated, sort of like when you print a web page, it never looks as good as the computer monitor. The reason why the printout looks worse is that the printer is capable of finer detail than the monitor. Again, it's not that the source material is bad, or that the printer makes it look bad, but rather that the printer reveals the lack of detail.

Anyway, bottom line, it's not that TV makes the SD source look bad, it's just that the signal can never look good because it has to be interpolated. Okay, maybe that's the same thing. Happy I guess it's more accurate to say that an SD signal will never look as good as an HD signal because of interpolation.

Lol, does that make any sense?

Collapse -
Absolutely makes sense.

In reply to: --

Technically, I'm tracking you just fine. Just wanted a subjective impression of whether an SD signal on an HD screen looks the same or worse than an SD signal on an SD screen, and whether the brand and quality of the HD screen had any effect. Actually, only the last question is important, since I'm getting an HD in any case.

I appreciate all the feedback posted on this thread. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Collapse -
Scaling is the key

In reply to: Absolutely makes sense.

Different brands of HDTVs use different scalers to map your SD source to your HD screen. Some do a better job than others. Given the same screen and different scalers, you will see a difference. You need to spend some time comparing brands with SD sources and pick the one that looks the best. Another option is to buy an external scaler, but in my opinion, that is a waste of money unless you already own a TV that scales poorly. Buy a set that does a good job in the first place and you should not need it.

I have 2 HDTVs. One is plasma and the other is LCD. The SD pictures look pretty good on both-nothing compared to HD, but as good or better than they did on my old RP CRT set that they replaced. The edges are not as sharp and the colors are not a brilliant in SD to start with as HD, so it is always going to look inferior.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.