Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CLAIM: FILTHY FOLEY ONLINE CHATS WERE PAGE 'PRANK GONE AWRY'

by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:25 AM PDT

According to two people close to former congressional page Jordan Edmund, the now famous lurid AOL Instant Message exchanges that led to the resignation of Mark Foley were part of an online prank that by mistake got into the hands of enemy political operatives, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal.

According to one Oklahoma source who knows the former page very well, Edmund, a conservative Republican, goaded an unwitting Foley to type embarrassing comments that were then shared with a small group of young Hill politicos. The prank went awry when the saved IM sessions got into the hands of political operatives favorable to Democrats.

The primary source, an ally of Edmund, adamantly proclaims that the former page is not a homosexual. The prank scenario was confirmed by a second associate of Edmund. Both are fearful that their political careers will be affected if they are publicly brought into the investigation.

The prank scenario only applies to the Edmund IM sessions and does not necessarily apply to any other exchanges between the former congressman and others.

The news come on the heels that Edmund has hired former Timothy McVeigh attorney, Stephen Jones.

Developing

http://www.drudgereport.com/page.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CLAIM: FILTHY FOLEY ONLINE CHATS WERE PAGE 'PRANK GONE AWRY'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CLAIM: FILTHY FOLEY ONLINE CHATS WERE PAGE 'PRANK GONE AWRY'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Duckman linked ot this earlier.
by EdH / October 5, 2006 12:00 PM PDT

One thing I find interesting is that apparently Foley was scrupulous enough to wait for these guys to hit age 18 before actually approaching them to do anything.

LINK

Collapse -
As I said before,
by duckman / October 5, 2006 12:22 PM PDT

wait til you hear the squeals when it is determined that he broke NO laws. Unless they "Scooter" him

Collapse -
So your saying he did no wrong?
by grimgraphix / October 5, 2006 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: As I said before,

I don't recall... what is your position on homosexuality? Not that I want to condemn Foley for it. I just want to know if your consistent across the board on this or just (gulp) cherry picking? Wink

Collapse -
Is that what he said?
by EdH / October 5, 2006 12:38 PM PDT

Look again. Maybe put your glasses on first.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hmm, you think DM can speak for himself?
by grimgraphix / October 5, 2006 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Is that what he said?
Collapse -
touchy!
by EdH / October 5, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

I just asked if that's what he said. Do you have a problem with that?

Collapse -
I'm sure he can ...
by Evie / October 5, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

... others are just helping you out so you can move on. What does anyone's position on homosexuality have to do with this? Technically he probably didn't do anything illegal, and that is likely more do to those that stand up for the rights of criminals over innocent children. Even if he had sex with one of the current pages, it seems that wouldn't be a crime in DC. Go figure.

Collapse -
More to the point...
by EdH / October 5, 2006 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm sure he can ...

Broke no laws does NOT equal did no wrong.

Collapse -
DC laws...
by grimgraphix / October 5, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm sure he can ...

You gotta love how the jewel of the country has some of the highest crime rates and where flirting with an underaged page is OK if they are at least 16. As I have said repeatedly... I have yet to see proof of a broken law, yet ethically was he as innocent?

Your right. Go figure.

Collapse -
Again... I have seen nothing...
by EdH / October 5, 2006 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: DC laws...

to indicate he actually made advances to anyone under 18. The e-mails were described as weird and overly friendly. That is not against the law. I am not sure I would call it flirting.

As to his ethics... he DID resign, didn't he? You have to give him that because some others didn't even reach that level, even if they did worse than he did.

Collapse -
In most of the country ...
by Evie / October 5, 2006 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: DC laws...

... age of consent is 16. It appears now that some states -- like Fla -- are trying to tighten that up by making that consent age higher for relations with adults over a certain age. It's all so arbitrary. Is sex between someone that has just turned 25 with someone who is not yet 18 really "worse" than someone who is about to turn 25 having sex with someone who just turned 16? And there are reports tonight that Foley may have actually propositioned a page for sex electronically -- if the reporting is accurate, the electronic proposition could put him in jail, but if he just asked in person, it would have been OK!?!?

I don't think any of it is right. The only thing that really makes sense is to agree on ONE age of majority for EVERYTHING. You can drink, smoke, have sex with whomever you want when you're an adult, and you can't when you're a minor. And no sex for minors Wink

Collapse -
Grim CAN'T STAND IT! He's got a gotcha, and it's
by Kiddpeat / October 5, 2006 1:51 PM PDT

threatening to wriggle right out from under him.

Collapse -
as long as its there choice
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 1:01 PM PDT

of course im not a homophobe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?