Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Civil rights is one thing. This here is somethin' else.

by Bill Osler / July 3, 2009 11:32 AM PDT

"Civil rights is one thing. This here is somethin' else."
That was my favorite line from the movie we watched tonight. It was spoken by the black housekeeper in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

I finally broke down and subscribed to Netflix a few weeks ago and I've been getting caught up on a whole boatload of films that I never saw the first time around. Some, like this one, I've enjoyed. Others made me wonder what all the fuss was about. For example, I thought MASH was so awful that I turned it off after about 30 minutes.

I didn't know what to expect in watching Guess Who's Coming ... and I was surprised by how funny it was as well as how preachy it was. Still, it was a remarkable film for its time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Civil rights is one thing. This here is somethin' else.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Civil rights is one thing. This here is somethin' else.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've gone the other route...
by Willy / July 3, 2009 7:10 PM PDT

I still have a VHS player for tapes. Its nice to go down to the Goodwill or Sal. Army and get tapes for little cost. I've found some classics and many I liked to see again. I even stumble across older B&W flicks as well if the local rental place dumps their tapes. I've gotten Forbidden Planet, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Fistful of Dollars, M*A*S*H(I liked it), Apollo 13, Invaders from Mars, etc., etc.. However, the hardest to find are Disney movies though they do arrive now and then. Of course, my VHS is getting old but there are used VHS players for sale too, when mine dies. I like to get one of those VHS->DVD converters I've read about but cash is short. adieu -----Willy

Collapse -
From what I've read the converters have issues ...
by Bill Osler / July 3, 2009 8:37 PM PDT

Most commercial VHS have copy protection via Macrovision. I haven't tried it myself because I don't have that much VHS content I want to preserve and most of it is available in DVD anyway, but from what I understand it is hard to find a VHS to DVD converter that will work well on the copy protected tapes. It appears that there are work-arounds but most of them involve using multiple pieces of equipment (VHS players, 'image stabilizer' and DVD recorder).

Collapse -
I actually bought last year
by Angeline Booher / July 4, 2009 12:35 AM PDT

..... "Guest In the House", Jolson Sings" (B&W), "Jolson Sins Again"(Color), The first stars Anne Baxter, who played Eve in "AllL About Eve". (BTW, I highly recommend "All About Eve". Also the John Wayne-John Ford trilogy which can be seen on some cable outlets.

We were huge fans of Al Jolson in the mid to late '40's.

IMO what distinguished the pre-special effects movies was dialogue.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?