Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Citizen-Soldier praises his employer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Citizen-Soldier praises his employer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Citizen-Soldier praises his employer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm gonna buy Eaton products if I ever have a chance.

In reply to: Citizen-Soldier praises his employer

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wish more corporate america was as good

Collapse -
There was an extensive thread once before..........

In reply to: (NT) wish more corporate america was as good

...that brought forth the various ways MANY businesses supported reserve and guard members called to active duty.

Collapse -
During the '91 shindig in Kuwait........

There were reserves called up. In the County that I lived in at the time, the Sheriff's Dept paid the difference between the active duty pay and the members regular pay, as well as kept in place all family insurance.

Collapse -
Just FYI........

Someone, elsewhere, cared to criticize WalMart as money hungry and not caring for their soldier employees. I'm not particularly a WalMart fan, but facts need be known:

??..Wal-Mart continues to provide benefits for associates called to active duty, assistance to their families and makes up any pay differential. Wal-Mart works with hospitals abroad where wounded soldiers are being treated to supply them with needed and requested items......?

Full article: http://www.walmartfacts.com/newsdesk...le.aspx?id=611

Collapse -
Can't pull up the walmart link you provided.

In reply to: Just FYI........

Keep getting that PITA "To help protect your security" cr@p at the top of the window. Angry The options it provides won't even let me allow it.X-(

Anyone know how to get rid of this PITA? I wish I could get rid of it altogether.X-(

Collapse -
???Still works for me in IE and Firefox

In reply to: Can't pull up the walmart link you provided.

...but just in case, another is provided below.

Collapse -
This is the original, try it again....

Collapse -
Thanks. This one worked.

In reply to: This is the original, try it again....

Wonder why my IE doesn't like the other one?

Collapse -
Here is a completely different article...

that isn't even an article, it is just an example of the various Special Programs Walmart and Sam's Club provide or participate in.

http://www.walmartfacts.com/doyouknow/special-programs.aspx

America's Armed Forces
We are loyal supporters of our men and women in the armed forces. More often than not, they are our friends, neighbors, and frequently our fellow associates. In 2004, more than 38,300 of our associates told us they had served in the military. And currently approximately 4,000 associates are on military leave. Specifically, we support our Associates who perform military service. For example, we proudly offer continuation of many benefits, including health benefits, for the duration of an Associate?s military leave. We also offer supplemental pay, for the duration of military leave, to Associates called to active duty in an area that is subject to ?hostile fire? or ?imminent danger,? as defined by Presidential Executive Order.

We partnered with the Veterans of Foreign Wars in 2004 to assist service members past and present. Last year, the Wal-Mart & SAM'S CLUB Foundation made a $1 million donation to the VFW to help ease the burden of our military families in need.

Our support reaches beyond the VFW. After learning from a former associate injured in the war that something other than cafeteria food would be a dream come true for many of his fellow patients, Wal-Mart and SAM'S CLUB hosted a picnic and outdoor concert at Walter Reed Medical Center, in Washington, for wounded soldiers and their families.

We have provided millions of dollars in financial aid to military family-support organizations and worked with suppliers to supply clothing for the wounded and special-need items for the troops. In addition, Wal-Mart donated $6 million to help build the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. while associates and customers raised an additional $8.5 million.

Collapse -
More supportive than the government, Mac :-(

National Guard troops sue government in pay dispute.

>> Four members of the Massachusetts National Guard filed a $73 million class-action lawsuit on Wednesday against Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and other military officials in a dispute over on-the-job expenses since the September 11 attacks. The lawsuit, which also names Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, appears to be the first of its kind in the U.S. Army National Guard, which has faced heavy demands since September 11, 2001, lawyers involved in the case said....

The four men from Massachusetts and New Hampshire filed the suit in U.S. District Court on behalf of soldiers in about 300 jobs in the Massachusetts National Guard owed money for meals, car fuel, lodging and daily allowances, their lawyers said. "The National Guard refused to reimburse millions of dollars to soldiers called for active duty following the 2001 terror attacks," John Shek, counsel for the plaintiffs, said at a news conference. "We have found that the closer we look at this the worse the situation gets." <<

Billions for Halliburton, though...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
Why don't you start your own thread...........

In reply to: More supportive than the government, Mac :-(

......rather than trash another's with your bashing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) good call mac

In reply to: Why don't you start your own thread...........

Collapse -
He wouldn't even have to do that much ...

Collapse -
for future reference

Do you only want responses that agree with your posts?

Collapse -
It's not about agreement ...

In reply to: for future reference

... it's about totally hijacking someone else's thread. If for no other reason, it should be avoided because it is rude.

Collapse -
Understand your post, but

"the response" wasn't challenging the post I presented, he cared to take it "off topic" about something else.

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Understand your post, but

From your link

America supports you, America reaches out

The company was recognized in an October 2005 ceremony in Washington as one of America's most supportive employers who make it possible for the nation to call upon the Guard and Reserve in response to natural disasters at home and to fight the war on terrorism, DoD officials said.

The Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award was established in 1996 to recognize outstanding efforts on the part of employers who support their National Guard and Reserve employees.

Then

Dave responds about the guardsmen that are taking the government to court for expenses.

The company you referred to receives an award from the government, and government refuses to do do what the award is presented for. In other words, do as i say, not as I do.

It's about the military and doing the right/wrong thing.

The company did the right thing and the government did the wrong thing.

America supports you, America reaches out, BUT the government, doesn't in the guardsmen case.

Collapse -
What's to say about the original but "goodonem," Del?

In reply to: Understand your post, but

BTW, the UT System (for which I work) does pretty much the same thing. It's a shame some employers don't even do what they're legally supposed to for those who are serving. But I think the contrast between the two stories speaks volumes about who's really supporting the American servicemen and women -- and who isn't.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Then say that!

In reply to: What's to say about the original but "goodonem," Del?

And start your own thread about a topic that's loosely related at best.

Collapse -
He did.

In reply to: Then say that!

I picked it up, anyway. And it is a valid point to make in light of the sacrifice that some organizations are contributing.

Dan

Collapse -
not as much as

In reply to: He did.

out troops sacrifice fighting to have safety in our life

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Huh???

In reply to: not as much as

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My my, what a really informative subject line.

In reply to: (NT) Huh???

Collapse -
I didn't see that ...

In reply to: He did.

... his initial reply. Only a bash on the government and a gratuitous Haliburton reference. A company that could use a little gratitude every now and then along with a lot of the "industrial" side of the military-industrial complex.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I did.

In reply to: I didn't see that ...

Collapse -
no he started a thread

with his usual bash easier to innor if he stayed with subject

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dave's post is appropriate to the thread.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) as if we would think you would say diferent

In reply to: (NT) Dave's post is appropriate to the thread.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.