Desktops forum

General discussion

Cisnet desktops? Anyone heard of them?

by Marie Boyer / July 10, 2005 8:59 PM PDT

I am in the hunt for a new "budget" computer for my sister. Price range $500. She does not need a high-end computer. She will not be a gamer nor will she do digital video editing. At most, she will use digital photo-editing software. She surfs the net, uses email, and generally plays with her computer.

I have been shopping for solid systems at bargain prices. The best prices for the product, thus far, seem like Dell Dimensions 3000 and/or 4700's, although there are no current deals that I can afford at Dell.

Recently I discovered a desktop package at Staples ON SALE this week for $499.

It includes the following:
Cisnet PC and monitor package with: Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cisnet desktops? Anyone heard of them?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cisnet desktops? Anyone heard of them?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check...
by Willy / July 10, 2005 10:20 PM PDT

I haven't heard of it neither, but then I don't know everything that happens. Sad I'll assume it's a house brand, that Staples carries or budget line they carry. Since, its not a known or popular, follow good sense and just let it go. Of course, if a Staples item, they'll usually back it up(warranty, read fine print). You can check eMachines and other vendors/ or online for bargains, beware of some refurb pricing, but the systems are good just usually the warranty is less. Besy Buy has a eMachine system for $399 after rebates/sale, etc. if in your area but they do have online sales as well. Check http://www.newegg.com for online pricing and any other vendor. Remember, cheap is cheap, thus Wal-Mart may have a system too.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I bought the emachine last night!
by Marie Boyer / July 11, 2005 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Check...

I bought my sister the emachine at Best Buy last night. Thank you very much for all your advice. I uninstalled Norton, Aol, McAfee, and some other "trial" products and installed: AVG, Zone Alarm, Adaware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta. I would never have known about any of these products had I not been a regular "surfer" of this CNET forum. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Which emachine Marie? Did you
by John Robie / July 12, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

get the Model # T3393 that came out in Sunday's Best Buy Flyer as suggested by jrmar07?

That one also has a 17" Flat Screen monitor & printer for $329.97 after mail-in rebates. What is especially good for that price of emachine, is that it has an AGP slot for upgrade of graphics from the Integrated Graphics.

Best Buy will give you a whole bunch of register printouts with receipts/instructions. Be sure to note and do exactly as the rebates instructions state. For instance, you will have to make copies, of the BAR CODE on the boxes of the different items for some and use the original BAR CODE (cut it out of the box) for others. Also make a copy of everything you send in and double check that you have everything as required specifically for each envelop. If you do not have a scanner to make copies, pay the 5-10

Collapse -
Yes John,
by Marie Boyer / July 12, 2005 7:09 AM PDT

I bought the one at Best Buy you describe. Thanks so much for the rebate advice. I will do exactly that! So far it seems great. I cannot believe what she gets for $329! She is in pig heaven! Thanks to everyone on this forum for the advice! I am eternally grateful for your guys steering me in the right direction!

Collapse -
Bestbuy Deal
by jrmar07 / July 10, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks both of you!
by Marie Boyer / July 11, 2005 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Bestbuy Deal

I saw the emachines deal at BestBuy but there were 6 or 7 rebates involved. That was enough to make me dizzy. But if you think the emachine is worth it, I will look again.

The Staples guy, who sounded knowledgeable (as they all do to me because I know so little), said the Cisnet uses a Pentium 4 processor that is faster than either the Celeron or Sempron? And, he said it was non-proprietary (he said that means I can get replacement parts very easily).

Never thought of Walmart.

Collapse -
I would go for the Emachine....
by jrmar07 / July 11, 2005 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks both of you!

Although the Cisnet with the Intel

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)i would agree, buy the eMachine
by AKonny47 / July 11, 2005 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not Worth Buying A Cisnet
by italianoa / March 29, 2009 12:05 PM PDT

Lets put it this way, everything I've purchased from staples has broken down on us and the Cisnet is no different. The computer is already 1 year old and has been used for less then 2 months. The second the warranty was over it started acting funny. Right now the system reboots itself instantly every hour on the hour. Thought it was software, so I left the computer in safe mode same thing. Its got to be a power supply problem, the computer is worth about $125.00 not worth replacing the power supply ($65).

One thing you have to consider, is you dont care who builds the computer, but whats the hardware inside it. Cisnet is nothing more then a company that builds computers with off the shelf products. They take parts from every single manufacturer and just turn a few screwdrivers and you got a computer.

What you have to think about, is (1) who's the manufacturer of the memory, the hard drive, video card, motherboard, etc. Because it something with the computer breaks down, you cant blame Cisnet or anyone else directly you have to put blame on the company of the broken component.

PNY and Kingston memory are the top of the line for memory, you pay for it, Samsung and other generics are alot cheaper and they behave totally different then PNY or Kingston, hense they are cheaper. In order for a computer company to be cost effective, they scrap quality instantly.

Computers that where $2000 and up years ago had the best stuff in them, because they had the $ to pay for it. Nowadays, you can get a computer for $299. How do you think they could get a computer to you for $299, the point is quality.

So when you buy a computer, dont ask who's the manufacturer, ask them what hardware is in it and do your own research. Dont think Dell or anyone else just because of the name. If you go to a parts website and see that a particular store has a lot of Dell parts for example, just remember if tht store has a lot of dell parts that means they break down lot. So if someone buys a part for a laptop from a store, it could mean they are replacing a broken part.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.