The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name

by benanzo / January 10, 2007 10:33 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yeah...I think Apple knew they had to release it...
by shawnlin / January 10, 2007 10:57 AM PST

it's usually a calculated decision to capitalize on excitement...especially with Apple. They probably figured that the "public is with us, so we'll win". related, I think that Sony's "we won" campaign was pretty juvenile.

I think it would hurt Jobs' pride if Cisco only licensed the name for some annual fee or something...

Collapse -
Just call it Apple Phone instead
by ktreb / January 10, 2007 4:55 PM PST

Doesn't sound as good as iPhone, though. But could use the Apple logo in front of phone, like they did for Apple TV.

Collapse -
(NT) good alternative - places emphasis on Apple branding too...
by shawnlin / January 10, 2007 9:27 PM PST
Collapse -
Don*t look now, but...
by imiiso / January 10, 2007 5:58 PM PST

...your avatar has been replaced by a red x in a box.

Collapse -
oh yeah...
by benanzo / January 10, 2007 6:09 PM PST
In reply to: Don*t look now, but...

I forgot to renew the domain where it was being hosted...oops.

Yay! no more e-mail! The beatht hath been thlayne!

Collapse -
It's about the money.
by Dave In Ohio / January 10, 2007 9:18 PM PST

From what I can tell, Apple holds the IPhone trademarks overseas and Cisco holds them in the US. So they both have stuff to trade and they have to work something out.

They have been talking about this for some time now and were exchanging documents. Cisco knew Apple was over a barrel with MacWorld coming up so they probably tried to play hardball. Apple (Jobs) said screw it. We are going with the name. Cisco filed the suit to ratchet up the negotiation. Apple will do the same in a couple of other countries...probably in Europe.

They will sit down again and settle it for somewhat less money than Cisco was asking during the keynote and the suits will go away.

Unless Cisco digs their heels in, it will still end up being the iPhone.

Collapse -
(NT) yeah...such is the way of many business negotiations...
by shawnlin / January 10, 2007 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: It's about the money.
Collapse -
Suing back might be difficult...
by Evil Penguin / January 10, 2007 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: It's about the money.

Have Cisco announced their iPhone anywhere else in the world than the US yet?

If not, Apple can't really sue back, can they?

Collapse -
Apple should of stuck with the iTalk
by dark_cwboy / January 11, 2007 3:01 AM PST

Apple knew they where going to get sued over the the name but thats the only thing they can get sued for because apple iphone and the crisco iphone are totally different but i really do not know how that works. Apple witll probly give cisco the money for the name because you know they had to of seen it comeing. Apple could be like nintendo. The wii was going to called the revolution but nintendo changed it to the wii. Apple might do the same in may they might announce the italk it comeing out or whatever name they pick. until it comes out im so sticking to any prediction or rumor the comes out.
anymore thoughts

Collapse -
news.com article is hilarious
by robstak / January 11, 2007 4:10 AM PST

****, Australia, Trinidad/Tobago, various iPhone companies, destroying packages, brass balls... hahaha

I can't wait to see this play out, perhaps this couldbe CourtTV's foray back into basic cable packages Silly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!