General discussion

Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cisco sues Apple over iPhone name
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
yeah...I think Apple knew they had to release it...

it's usually a calculated decision to capitalize on excitement...especially with Apple. They probably figured that the "public is with us, so we'll win". related, I think that Sony's "we won" campaign was pretty juvenile.

I think it would hurt Jobs' pride if Cisco only licensed the name for some annual fee or something...

- Collapse -
Just call it Apple Phone instead

Doesn't sound as good as iPhone, though. But could use the Apple logo in front of phone, like they did for Apple TV.

- Collapse -
(NT) good alternative - places emphasis on Apple branding too...
- Collapse -
Don*t look now, but...

...your avatar has been replaced by a red x in a box.

- Collapse -
oh yeah...

I forgot to renew the domain where it was being hosted...oops.

Yay! no more e-mail! The beatht hath been thlayne!

- Collapse -
It's about the money.

From what I can tell, Apple holds the IPhone trademarks overseas and Cisco holds them in the US. So they both have stuff to trade and they have to work something out.

They have been talking about this for some time now and were exchanging documents. Cisco knew Apple was over a barrel with MacWorld coming up so they probably tried to play hardball. Apple (Jobs) said screw it. We are going with the name. Cisco filed the suit to ratchet up the negotiation. Apple will do the same in a couple of other countries...probably in Europe.

They will sit down again and settle it for somewhat less money than Cisco was asking during the keynote and the suits will go away.

Unless Cisco digs their heels in, it will still end up being the iPhone.

- Collapse -
(NT) yeah...such is the way of many business negotiations...
- Collapse -
Suing back might be difficult...

Have Cisco announced their iPhone anywhere else in the world than the US yet?

If not, Apple can't really sue back, can they?

- Collapse -
Apple should of stuck with the iTalk

Apple knew they where going to get sued over the the name but thats the only thing they can get sued for because apple iphone and the crisco iphone are totally different but i really do not know how that works. Apple witll probly give cisco the money for the name because you know they had to of seen it comeing. Apple could be like nintendo. The wii was going to called the revolution but nintendo changed it to the wii. Apple might do the same in may they might announce the italk it comeing out or whatever name they pick. until it comes out im so sticking to any prediction or rumor the comes out.
anymore thoughts

- Collapse -
news.com article is hilarious

****, Australia, Trinidad/Tobago, various iPhone companies, destroying packages, brass balls... hahaha

I can't wait to see this play out, perhaps this couldbe CourtTV's foray back into basic cable packages Silly

CNET Forums

Forum Info