Phones forum

General discussion

Cingular to strongarm AT&T customers

by rotty022 / March 2, 2007 5:45 AM PST

i heard that cingular is going to force at&t customers to switch to a cingular plan in the near future. can anyone verify this? what is the timeframe? i called cingular business dept. they are pretty hush-hush about it.

thanks,
rotty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cingular to strongarm AT&T customers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cingular to strongarm AT&T customers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Eventually
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 6:59 AM PST

Nobody is certain when, but it will happen. Just remember the old AT&T wireless is not the same as the new AT&T.

Collapse -
From what I was reading
by PudgyOne / March 2, 2007 7:09 AM PST

it looks like you got it backward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular

I know my boss used to have ATT and then they switched them to Cingular. Phones were out of date. I think they were using a different frequency. It looks like the end of 2007, Cingular will be ATT, again.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
No
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 9:02 AM PST

I didn't get it wrong.

In 2004 Cingular Wireless which was owned 60% by SBC (Southwestern Bell) and 40% by Bellsouth bought AT&T Wireless and absorbed it into Cingular Wireless.

In 2006, SBC purchased AT&T landline and renamed themself as the new AT&T.

At the end of 2006, the new AT&T bought out Bellsouth thus giving them 100% ownership of Cingular Wireless.

At the beginning of 2007, the new AT&T began rebranding Cingular Wireless under their product name.

Yes, I know what I am talking about.

Collapse -
yeah but what about...
by rotty022 / March 2, 2007 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: No

the customer. we are getting strongarm'ed into a cingular plan. this is not equivalent to an at&t plan. my nights start at 7pm. that is extremely convenient for me. i'll be losing 12000 mins if i'm forced to a cingular plan in which nights start at 9pm. bastages!!!

rotty

Collapse -
But.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: yeah but what about...

Just remember, you are not in a contract and you are free to walk if you are told you have to change your plan.

Collapse -
coverage?
by crazyfool71 / March 3, 2007 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: yeah but what about...

aren't the old at&t plans tdma? they can use the same network as regular cingular customers?

Collapse -
Yes and no
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: coverage?

AT&T Wireless did offer GSM and TDMA plans prior to the buyout. Keep in mind that all TDMA phones will no longer be usable after Feb 2008 when the FCC allows carriers to drop the network.

Collapse -
tdma phones
by gamedreamer / March 7, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and no

man those phones have got to be way out of date by now

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!