Phones forum

General discussion

Cingular phones

by ptman / January 5, 2005 12:42 AM PST

Anyone have the Cingular/Sony Ericsson z500A phone. I need a new phone urgently but I am not interested in swithing carriers or spending more than $50 for the phone. Can anyone comment on this phone or recommend another choice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cingular phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cingular phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't have that phone but
by Jerry562 / January 6, 2005 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Cingular phones

have the Samsung X427 and feel it is a very good non-camera phone. I certainly recommend it. What are your phone needs?

Collapse -
Cingular phones
by ptman / January 6, 2005 10:58 AM PST

I have considered the Samsung, but I would really like a flip phone with an external caller ID screen. I really don't care too much about the other gadgetry such as the camera, but there really are no other choices that have the external screen. I saw that Cingular was advertising the Sony buy one get one free here locally and just wondered if it my do. I did get to go by there and check it out and I wasn't too impressed. It's a little thicker and longer than I had hoped. I may wind up with the Samsung after all.

Collapse -
Z500
by mwhtlck / January 7, 2005 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Cingular phones

I have been using the Z500 for about 3 weeks now. Like most things, it has its pros and cons. First the cons:
The camera stinks. Don't plan on taking any family photos with it. The screen is CSTN and not TFT so it washes out easily in sunlight. There are not many ringtones or graphics included with the phone. Battery is only avg. SE claims something like 10 hrs talk time. I want some of what they are smoking. Expect around 4 hrs.

Now the pros:
The address book is terrific. A lot of thought went into it. The build quality is first rate, a very solid feeling phone. Unlike my other phones, (Nokia, SE, Samsung) I have yet to drop a call! The speakerphone us usefull too.

Overall I am very pleased. It makes the calls I need it to and keeps track of my contacts and it is worth the $149 I paid. One interesting thing though, with Cingular, the SIM card only holds 250 contacts while the phone holds 510. I currently have 420 in the phone. Cingular says that they have a new high capacity SIM coming, but it will be 2 or 3 months.

Good luck.

Collapse -
z500
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 7, 2005 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Z500

You also might consider the Motorola V180. External call display w/out camera. The phone is economical.

Collapse -
V180
by ptman / January 8, 2005 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: z500

Thanks,
Looks like that phone is free right now on their website. I will check it out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.