Phones forum

General discussion

Cingular or Verizon

I know this been asked several times, but I gotta get rid of NEXTEL. I'm tired of seeing my bill go up a few cents every month. Anyway my relatives have cingular which would keepo our mins down but verizon I could get a better deal on the phones and a plan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cingular or Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cingular or Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon

In reply to: Cingular or Verizon

I've had Verizon for five years and live in so cal, rarely get a dropped call and get reception everywhere. They have the ugliest phones(with gnarfed blue tooth) but the best network hands down.
Cingular has the best phones, but their network is spotty, even with the at&t merger, they also have roll over minutes which is cool as well.... But Verizon wins out in the end. EVDO kicks ***, they have fairly priced plans, and again, the network is far better then cingulars. so in the words of Ben Stiller in Starsky and Hutch, "Do It" "Do it".

Collapse -
Cingular

I would ask people that live in your area who have both services and see which they have had the best service with. I personally have had cingular for about 4 years now. I have had excellent service with them never have had a dropped call. Also the fact that, my family gets a certain percent of the bill for being with At&T.

Collapse -
Verizon

Verizon is a great provider. They have great coverage. Cingular has a wider variety of phones, but verizon's offerings I think are a bit better.

Collapse -
cingular

pick cingular...everybody says that verizon has better service than cingular...that might be true...but thats only true in rare places wer verizon has 2 bars and cingular has none, if u change ur phone all u have to do is switch ur sim card...for verizon its this other process that takes more time...cingular has file transfer bluetooth, better phones, better everything, so go with cingular.

Collapse -
Cingular

I have tried every different carrier, Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. I currently have cingular and it has been my favorite. They are always have the coolest phones with the best features, such as the 3G HSDPA network, that allows you to watch videos with great quality.

Collapse -
verizon

I had cingular for a short time and it SUCKED. using the customer support was like trying to run water and the reception was no better.

Collapse -
Cingular

I get great reception and never had a dropped call.

I heard that Verizon disables the functions on the phones that they do NOT want you to use. I think they do this for an extra fee.

Rick

Collapse -
Cingular

Personally I'd say Cingular. But it does depend on where you live. Yes Verizon may have Cingular beet in some of the more rural areas but thats because they still use SOME of the old analog network that has no security, poor voice quality, and can't support voicemail or text messaging (keep in mind this is for some rural areas not urban areas). Cingular is ALL DIGITAL. As far as the data networks go Cingular offers UMTS/HSDPA which allows simutaneus voice and data where as the Verizon's EV-DO is either data or voice (if your on the internet calls go to voice mail). As a general rule Cingular's phones are lighter and have better battery life, not to mention Cingular usually get the newer cooler phones.

and just for the record I do work for Cingular.

Collapse -
Cingular kills Verizon

Please trust me when I say Cingular/At@T kills Verizon Wireless not only in there products and customer support but also in their reception, I travel all over the state of Michigan with my brother who happens to have Verizon Wireless while I have Cingular/AT@T, and I always seem to get better reception everywhere we work around the state, the same goes for Florida my brother's verizon phone will have no coverage while i will have full coverage and the funny thing is it has never been the opposite where he has had full coverage and I have had no coverage.. Trust me pick Cingular/AT@t.. you won't be disappointed

Collapse -
Cingular

is generally strong everywhere- what area is this for?

Collapse -
Cingular

I had Verizon for many years. One day every call I made got dropped. From then on it was all downhill. I found out, after driving to a service center that they had made a software upgrade to the towers near me. Unfortunately, the upgrade made my LG phone no longer compatible with their network. The next year and a half was one nightmare after the other. I actually had one rep tell me that my particular model of phone was very problematic, yet Verizon was still selling this model, knowing it was giving their customers problems. They made promise after promise to correct the problem, and to give me credits on my bill since I couldn't make a phone call. I never got the credits, and magically, they lost all records of my every having called. When I pushed them over the whole mess, their response was: Sign a two year agreement with us and purchase a new phone and my problems would go away. I told them to give me the service I was paying for first, and then I'd consider signing a new contract. I finally switched to Cingular, and have been very pleased with the call quality, and with their customer service. I'll never consider Verizon again. They are a bunch of scam artists and liars. Do yourslef a favor and save yourself many headaches and choose Cingular.

Collapse -
A Word About Cingular Coverage

In reply to: Cingular

Just make sure that you use more than 50% of your call minutes on a Cingular network or live inside a Cingular-owned network. They don't like to pay the "other guy" for the use of his tower just so you can talk on the phone. I am being politely asked to find another carrier.

Collapse -
Cingular

No joke, this past summer I used the Nokia 6102i throughout OVER 25 states nation-wide. NEVER, ever dropped a call. They have a greater variety of phones. Unfortunately, we had to switch, so now I know both worlds. If you like better phones, and great service, and ease of use changing phones (GSM), go with Cingular.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.