Phones forum

General discussion

Cingular North America Plans-Canada Calling Dropped??

by KC Nite / November 16, 2005 5:34 AM PST

It is extremely disappointing that Cingular has dropped the North America Plan due to fraud from Mexico. There is a lot of cross border transactions (Canada is US's largest trade partner) with Canada daily and to lump Canada into the new Cingular World is ridiculous! They try to make it sound like this is an improvement charging $3.99 a month and then .19 cents a minute LD + .59 cent a minute roaming that sure is attractive! (Mexico is .09 cents a minute-what gives here!) This is especially absurd when phone companies like SBC (which own Cingular) sell our company LD to Canada, US @ .04 cents a minute. There are more and more VOIP that include US & Canada the same rate with unlimited calling!

Cingular is missing a marketing opportunity with their phrase "all over network", they could have fun with their old TV commercials when they mocked other companies about moving around a room and saying they would get charged roaming while with Cingular you do not. Like being in Detroit or Buffalo where cell signals are routinely picked up by another carrier and then the customer gets a surprise the .79 cent roaming & .59 LD rate, at least the Cingular World looks attractive beside this charge but still is crazy!

There are so many similarities with Rogers Network in Canada to Cingular:

Both comprised of merged companies-(Rogers= Rogers AT&T + Fido)
Both operate GSM 1900 & 850 MHz + TDMA + Analog (Rogers deployed GSM overlay a year earlier)
same dialing pattern as USA, (unlike Mexican Market)
offer the same handsets & PDA's
Cingular needs to bring back AT&T's old $9.99 Canada add on to their Digital One Rate Plans. I am sure both Rogers & Cingular would benefit from a revised agreement to include Canada & USA in one rate plan, this would put a big jump on the competition which is on Cingular's ankles. (Verizon & Sprint-Nextel) The Cingular World Plans may be attractive for overseas but they do not cut it for USA-Canada commerce!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cingular North America Plans-Canada Calling Dropped??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cingular North America Plans-Canada Calling Dropped??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cingular North American Plan
by wanekart / November 29, 2005 11:18 AM PST

I too am frustrated with the loss of Cingular's North American plan. I specifically changed to Cingular for that plan. I have not found another that offers anything close to it.

We are in Canada for business 8-10 months of the year. AT&T's Canada Call plan worked, but the Cingular plan ended up being a bit cheaper. I just found out today that the plan has been dropped so I can not make changes to my account or I willl lose the North American plan.

Collapse -
so who has it?
by fishmongerconsultant / February 28, 2006 4:24 AM PST

Can you get it with another carrier?

Collapse -
Verizon
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: so who has it?

Verizon does. Read the other posts.

Collapse -
Verizon's plan = LD only; roaming charges apply!
by tedchuang / March 8, 2006 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Verizon

Verizon's plan is here:

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/rates/na_calling_plans.html

It lets you call *parts* of Canada and Mexico w/o long distance charges, but you must originate the call from your Home coverage area (i.e., within United States where Verizon has service)

Cingular's (now retired) North American plan costs the same but you can call from anywhere in North America to anywhere in North America w/o incurring LD or roaming charges.

Collapse -
Cingular Drops North American Plan
by ronpapandrea / December 6, 2005 12:41 PM PST

I agree Cingular has made a big mistake. If Cingular does not let me renew my north american plan when my contract expires I will switch to the north american plan of verizon. I predict enough people will jumb to verizon to drop Cingular to #2 in terms of number of customers.

Collapse -
North American plan
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 6, 2005 1:23 PM PST

If you still have the plan when you upgrade, you will not lose anything. Cingular just isn't signing up new plans like you alreay have. No plan change is required when/if you upgrade your equipment.

Collapse -
Decided to move on to Verizon
by cablemodemfreak / December 16, 2005 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: North American plan

I was an old AT&T customer with the $9.99 add-on. I have a lot of family in Alberta and B.C. Cingular lets you keep the old plan - unless you want to upgrade to a new phone. Once I realized I couldn't get a cool new phone I thought I'd better give Verizon a call. Verizon does have a North America plan - also includes parts of Mexico and Puerto Rico. The only thing I don't like about Verizon is when their evenings start (9pm) and that you can't buy an earlier evening.

Collapse -
Issues with Verizon
by sgoldbac / January 16, 2006 10:40 AM PST

I'm glad you moved on to verizon - they seem to offer a better service in general. The only issue I have is that their international roaming is inconvenient, and the only phones they offer are really expensive. Anyone know of another alternative? Both T-Mobile and Cingular have discontinued their North American plans. It's rather frustrating to phone Canada and run up hundreds of dollars of charges.

Collapse -
North America Plan
by memoi / January 28, 2006 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: Issues with Verizon

If you're mostly making calls to Canada, a good alternative is to use a phone card or service like OneSuite.com, which will allow you to call Canada for about 1.5c/m.

Collapse -
Phone card = pain in the butt. How much is Verizon plan?
by fishmongerconsultant / February 28, 2006 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: North America Plan

How much is verizon N.A. plan?

Collapse -
bad cingular
by wonderwzer / February 15, 2006 2:50 PM PST

cingular owns 40% of Rogers, that's why the did away with canada calling. to gouge more money out of you.

Collapse -
cingular owns 40% of rogers?
by fishmongerconsultant / February 28, 2006 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: bad cingular

I didn't know that. Truly insidious.

Collapse -
Rogers
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: bad cingular

Just curious, where did you read/hear that? I would like to learn more. Never heard about that.

Collapse -
actually, yeah...
by jbroshear / March 1, 2006 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Rogers

I'm searching google for info on it and can't find anything.

Collapse -
Any updates?
by agaiki / February 28, 2006 3:29 AM PST

I wholeheartedly agree with you - 0.59/min is a sad joke...especially if presented as an "improvement". Its closer to misleading in advertising?.

I have been on ATTWS for a few years and have used the NA Calling plan on many occasions when I spent time in Canada for either business or pleasure.

Have you contacted Cingular or heard any recent updates on this?

Collapse -
You expect them to change their policy?
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Any updates?

hahaha

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?