Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

Cingular 8525

by certifiedgq / November 27, 2006 12:35 AM PST

Hey, does anyone know for sure that you can download programs to this PDA, and actually use it. And for one of these programs, can you download AIM, not the one included by Cingular's text messages, but like the one you would on a computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cingular 8525
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cingular 8525
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Cingular 8525
Collapse -
AIM like the one on the computer? No.
by John.Wilkinson / November 27, 2006 12:56 PM PST

Yes, you can install and run software on the Cingular 8525, with thousands of titles available. However, software designed for Windows on a PC cannot be run on a smartphone or PDA running Windows Mobile...despite the naming scheme it is not simply a mobile version of your desktop's OS. There is a version of AIM available for Windows Mobile, but it has basic functionality and is little like the AIM for Windows. There are third-party IM clients which you can use to connect to the AIM service that offer more functionality, but it's still not going to be like the 'AIM' you know.

John

Collapse -
Mobile
by SeansAPimp / December 24, 2006 12:14 AM PST

Ok, well...I just recently got the new Cingular 8525 and I dont know where i can download an AIM that will let me acess my buddy list, i tried i few sites listed here but i dont think any are available for this phone because its new, help, please. =)

Collapse -
(NT) Try Agile Messenger. (agilemobile.com)
by John.Wilkinson / December 24, 2006 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Mobile
Collapse -
=P
by SeansAPimp / December 24, 2006 1:10 AM PST

Great suggestion, thanks alot man

Collapse -
=/
by SeansAPimp / December 24, 2006 1:38 AM PST

Ehh I guess i spoke to soon, great find but kind of buggy if there is anything like this out, please let me know...or i can just wait for an official one to be released =P

Collapse -
What happened?
by John.Wilkinson / December 24, 2006 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: =/

I haven't tried it specifically on the 8525 but it is supposed to be a supported device, so Agile Mobile may be interested in knowing what went wrong so they can fix it. Aside from that, IM+ or imov may work.

As to the 'official' messenger, it's iffy. Neither the 2125 nor the 8125 were fully supported by AOL, so while they may offer downloadable AIM mobile for the 8525 the odds do not appear to be in your favor.

Good luck.
John

P.S. For a long shot, you may consider clicking here and downloading AIM CE 2.0. It was designed for PocketPC 2000, but there's a slim chance it might work.

Collapse -
by ellenjojo / March 11, 2007 3:56 PM PDT

I downloaded AIM mobile which allows me to receive instant messages. Once I've accepted a message, I'm able to respond. Unfortunately, you won't be able to start the instant messaging to your buddies, only receive then IM. Considering how easy it is to chat for hours, I don't understand why cingular does not provide unlimited text in any of their affordable plans. It gets so expensive with IM!

I just got the phone myself. Why am I not able to get onto Google? I am a MAC person and the microsoft search engines are quite frightening.

HOW DO YOU SET YOUR HOMEPAGE PREFERENCES FOR INTERNET SERVICE????

Collapse -
Cingular 8525
by johnyparker845 / May 12, 2016 4:57 AM PDT

I am also searching for it. If you will get any please also inform me.

Collapse -
thread closed
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 12, 2016 7:30 PM PDT

This thread was started almost 10 years ago and the device is no longer being manufactured or supported by Cingular/At&t. If you want to discuss further, start a new thread instead of resurrecting old ones.

Collapse -
Instant messenger for Cingular 8525
by dsheila / May 31, 2007 9:50 AM PDT

You can ddownload and Install the Mobile IM Client from Cingular MEdia Net on your device:

Access MEdia Net on the device.
From the MEdia Net homedeck, scroll to and select Mail & Messaging.
Scroll to and select Mobile IM.
Place a checkmark next to "open this file after download:" Select YES.
Installing will display
Installed on your device screen will display. Select OK.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!