Desktops forum

General discussion

Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine

by TalonRazor / June 2, 2004 6:46 PM PDT

Hello,

I'm a cinematographer who runs his own part-time business with a friend. I'm also a student and gamer. Currently, I built my own computer that I use in work, school and games. It's specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP +2600
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 SE
Sound Card: Audigy 2 Platinum ZS
Hard Drive: Western Digital 160GB and 100GB drives
RAM: Kingston DDR400 PC3200 512mb
Media Drivew: Sony DRU-510A and HP (not sure of model, bought off of a friend) CD-ROM

It's a UV case with decals on the side with the computer name "Hardcore".

Now I'm probably going to have about $400-$600 to spend this summer. I'm currently debating either selling my rig and building a new one or simply upgrading it. If I upgraded, what would you suggest I do? I know I want to replace the RAM and CPU, any other suggestions? What do you think about getting the new X800s? Or swapping mobo and going to 64-bit? Would that be a hassle? Has anyone done that?

If I got a new machine, I'm thinking about several things. One is a FireGL card, but I'm not to sure how those rate against the X800s. I'm also tempted by a dual CPU machine. What do you guys think of a Dual CPU rig? Are they worth it? Dual 32-bits CPUs better then a single 64-bit? If you did build a Dual CPU rig, what would you use?

I'm currently reading up on it and would like some tips and pointers! Thanks for all your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2004 10:58 PM PDT

My advice is to have 512 to 1024 Megabytes of RAM and wait to see the 64-bit play out just a month or two. For video work, this will be a "big deal."

Those who over-expend may feel upset about having that expensive 32-bit only machine.

You already have 512M of RAM, so don't expect more than a 1% payoff in going to 1G. I see only a few minutes saved over hours on the 1G box vs. 512M on DVD encoding, so a slightly faster CPU has more impact.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine
by TalonRazor / June 3, 2004 3:42 AM PDT

That's what I was wondering. Sounds like the 1G won't have that great of an added benefit. Have you ever gone from a 32-bit machine and turned it into a 64-bit machine? I'm not sure it's such a great idea to rip out a whole mobo and put in a new one.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Cinematographer looking to upgrade machine (64-bti)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 4:23 AM PDT

No such upgrades have been done since we want to fit a supersize power supply and so little else is retained along the way. Memory sticks are different, most had low end video, so it was a new box. Besides, they usually outfit the (now) old machine to be still used...

The repeating overlooked area continues to be the power supply...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!