Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cindi, here's a non-5224 reply to your

by drpruner / April 28, 2005 10:54 AM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=93240&messageID=1156645

Of course I'm limited; I'm human.
Here's a limited God:
Creates all the physical universe out of pure energy. As Einstein said: M = E/c squared. (Isa 40:25,26)
Makes a planet to house a couple of self-replicating robots, and comes up with a plan for their future. Note that this is a "plan," as when you and I "plan" to go to the beach, but the car breaks down so we stay home.
The notorious Jehovah's Witnesses bible uses the word "purpose" instead, when talking about the future that its God has in mind. That's because their God is not limited. His name, Jehovah, indicates that. Some translate it as "I am who I am," and then use that in a specious "proof" that someone else is Jehovah. My bible translates as "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.? (Ex 3:14) In either case- either case- there can be no more than one person in the universe who can name himself that with absolute truth: The Creator. You and I could say "I am ..." and be dead on the floor from embolism before we finish the sentence. Limited. Like Jesus, who once died.
Our hypothetical God is limited, so he doesn't notice when one of the robots steals from him, and the other attempts to cover it up. When he does catch them he realizes that his plan for rewarding them and their descendants has fallen through. "Oh, drat!" Nothing to do for it, mere robots have foiled him. (Gen 1:28; 2:17) Limited.
His solution? To wait several thousand years (?) before putting the torch to the whole shootin' match- the whole universe, not just the robot house (1 Pet 3:7)- and zipping a bunch of robot survivors up to heaven to live with him. Well, not all of them. He won't take Judas or Hitler or my greedy ex-wife or those nasty Jehovah's Witnesses, but just about everyone else. He's limited; can't afford to be selective.
Say, that is limited. About like me, for example. Time was, if I was mad at someone I would just strike out at them (if they were weaker than I, as in the relationship of God to robots). If pushed to an extreme I might have torched their house just to get even. I haven't done that, but other limited humans have, and I'm sure I was capable of it. Limited. And given the opportunity, I might have punished them by slow fire, rather than injection or Ol' Sparky. Other men have done that- religious men, in fact. Religious men trying to suppress knowledge of their own holy book, in fact. Limited, but at least that God is made in my image.
Remember Jesus, above? At this point I should say that that the Jesus of today's churches isn't the one known by Jehovah as his first-born son, The church Jesus was made up by men because they've been made fearful of knowing Jehovah. (Jer 31:34) The made-up Jesus is said to be God in disguise, for reasons known only to him/them/it. Limited.
A curious thing: You can always recognize the followers of that Jesus because (a) many of their children think bunnies lay eggs and (b) because they can't reason on their tripartite God- as in three pieces, not unity- with language skills up to the third-grade level. When this is pointed out, many of them ridicule the messenger, and all flatly refuse to give up their primitive, ungrammatical language. Probably just because all their friends use it. (Pro 29:25) Limited.

You need a stronger, more literate God- the All-mighty God of Jehovah's Witnesses. (As his real first-born son said of him, "...the only true God.") Here's how He operates:
Gen 1:28. Gen 3:15. Isa 45:18. Isa 55:10,11. John 3:16,36. Ps 37:10,11,29. Rev 21:3,4.
Unlimited in power, yet able to use that power with perfect wisdom.
Perfectly wise, but with a perfect sense of justice when judging out of his wisdom.
A fair but firm judge, yet with all that, one of his adopted children once said of him, 'He is love.'
Regards, Doug in New Mexico
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cindi, here's a non-5224 reply to your
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cindi, here's a non-5224 reply to your
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In case you're not joking.
by Dan McC / April 28, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

I have never, ever, not even once, known a child who thought rabbits lay Easter eggs.

You just sound silly when you keep saying that, Doug.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have, and Jehovah doesn't think any of it's silly.
by drpruner / April 28, 2005 11:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Like you said, a reply to my post.
by Cindi Haynes / April 29, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

It sure wasn't an answer!

Doug, I'm going to stop here, it's clear I'm not going to be the one to change your views, and also because I don't want to begin an argument with you.

Pleading the 5th? I plead 1 Peter 2:12 and Romans 12:18.

God bless,
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?