Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Church continues to advocate deiscrimination

Vatican 'regrets' female bishops decision

The Vatican said Tuesday it regrets the decision by the Church of England's governing body to allow the ordination of women as bishops.

The move by the Anglican Church's General Synod "is a rift to the apostolic tradition" of ordaining only men as bishops, the Vatican said in a statement, and is another obstacle to reconciliation between Anglicans and Roman Catholics.

"This decision will have consequences on the dialogue which had brought good fruits," the Vatican statement said.

The General Synod passed a resolution Monday night that allows women to become bishops, acting over the objections of traditionalists who argued that Jesus only wanted men in leadership positions.

More at CNN...

I wonder why they're so afraid of women? This is the 21st century isn't it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Church continues to advocate deiscrimination
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Church continues to advocate deiscrimination
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Does the LPGA discriminate against men?

In reply to: Church continues to advocate deiscrimination

Collapse -
storm in a tea cup

the real issue will be gay clergy....

the know the rules are already bending when you hear
"they can 'marry' but they must stay celibate"

Collapse -
Men wanted in La Leche Club?

Some things are gender specific, like it or not. When God makes it that way, it doesn't really matter if you like it or not.

Collapse -
The bible's view, at Gen 2, is that woman is

the "complement" of man. That's Jehovah's word; he also has places for all in society, which rules he is certainly entitled to make. Rev 4:11.

Collapse -
that reply while

In reply to: The bible's view, at Gen 2, is that woman is

very good, is no use to a person that considers the bible just another book.

Collapse -
(NT) then they wouldn't be in church, would they?

In reply to: that reply while

Collapse -
Not quite. Consider the man

In reply to: that reply while

who reads, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." He's free to adopt that as a personal rule; will his marriage benefit? "Thou shalt not steal" also has appeal for some. Many other examples; not bad for a book written so long ago by an obscure group of monotheists. Men who have adopted the bible's view of women have seen their relationships improve, especially in these modern, "liberated" times.

And a useful way to look at it is as a collection of principles, not rules. Principles are longer-lasting, more consistent, and serve where the rules run out. You could start here, just for your own curiosity: http://watchtower.org/e/20020215/article_01.htm
or here http://www.watchtower.org/e/19980408/article_03.htm
or here http://www.watchtower.org/e/20070115/article_02.htm

Collapse -
But it's OK for women

as long as they are trapped in the body of a man?

Collapse -
wwwhhhhaaaaatttttt??????!!!!!

In reply to: But it's OK for women

what is THAT supposed to mean? And if it means what I think it means, I can state without equivocation that NO ONE has or ever can prove ANYONE has been trapped in the wrong gender, LOL. They may THINK they are, but then we're moving into the realm of "I think, therefore I am not".

Collapse -
I didn't know that they were trying to get back together

Is this something like China and Taiwan?

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

Diana

Collapse -
What I wonder.

Is why these little church tiffs bother you so much.

The Vatican is still miffed because the Church of England (The Anglican Church) left Rome, the Pope, and some of its tenets.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It's the humanist in me....

In reply to: What I wonder.

The Affirmations of Humanism:
A Statement of Principles

* We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.
* We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.
* We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.
* We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.
* We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.
* We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.
* We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
* We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.
* We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.
* We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.
* We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.
* We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.
* We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.
* We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.
* We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.
* We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.
* We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.
* We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.
* We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.
* We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.
* We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Collapse -
Nice Sermon

In reply to: It's the humanist in me....

Deliver it normally from a pulpit?

Collapse -
It's not a sermon.....

In reply to: Nice Sermon

Collapse -
Then, to me,

.... considering that We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings it seems reasonable that contrary opinions are also noble and thus when weighed on the human scale can also tip it to best.

Rightly or wrongly, I group Humanists with Deists and Agnostics, all of which don't outright deny any chance at all there is a God, "just in case". Not with atheists,

The statement of what you believe bears a remarkable resemblance to what many others believe. I suspect the difference lies in that you believe man alone has the inner personal strength alone on which to draw to accomplish the goals.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
True. I always thought that the true atheists you mean,

In reply to: Then, to me,

and Roman Catholics had it right: No gray area for either one. I believe your new Pope is swinging the pendulum back that way, also.

Collapse -
About these principles, if I might ask

Would you say they are not compatible or on such uncommon ground with those who hold religious beliefs that you cannot abide with those who don't share them? Would "humanists", if they could, want to abolish the teaching of religions that don't further their own goals?

Collapse -
I support many religious beliefs....

In reply to: About these principles, if I might ask

I really don't care about people believing in God and spreading that message. I do care about intolerance and discrimination founded on such beliefs. I do think that a lot pf people and the society they live in are generally better off with the reward and consequence they believe in with heaven and hell. I avoid most debates with local Christians because it is really not my desire to cause them to doubt their faith.

Collapse -
After much personal debate

In reply to: I support many religious beliefs....

I've come to the conclusion that, to have perfect tolerance of others, one must learn to tolerate the intolerant as well...if that makes sense. As for science, I have to think it needs to be understood that it's an obsession like any other that's best kept under control for the protection of our own species.

Collapse -
Related, re your bold type:

But don't humanists join armies in time of war?

Collapse -
Probably so.....

In reply to: Related, re your bold type:

...and it could be shown that there are times when it's in the best interest of humanity to do so. I hate bringing up Hitler but he makes such a good example of when it makes sense to go to war. There are those that would stamp out all of humanity but themselves and it is in the best interest of humanity to stop them.

Collapse -
But people killing other people seems to contradict

In reply to: Probably so.....

several points of your manifesto.
And were there no humanists in Hitler's army?

Collapse -
Moses army

In reply to: But people killing other people seems to contradict

Were there any humanist there? Any Jehovah's witnesses? Anyone approved by God? Is it ungodly for one human to kill another human, even where God has commanded it?

Collapse -
(NT) Rev 4:11. He's the boss.

In reply to: Moses army

Collapse -
I don't know of any Christian Church denominations which

are based on the principles of humanism. It seems you think it is OK to attack people that you disagree with. You do it repeatedly. Then you ask, trying to be innocent, why Christians attack you. Now we all can see the answer to your question.

Collapse -
Was that Deliberate?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The use of "Dei" in the subject title, or an uncanny coincidence?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
O

Collapse -
Well, I certainly think so.

In reply to: Was that Deliberate?

They were just talking about it on the all-night show, Coast to Coast. Opus Dei has a sleeper cell hidden in Area 51, under control of men in black helicopters. Their job is to run computer programs day and night, seeking typos with double meanings, to be inserted into America's forums (fora?) by way of NSA's satellite links ...

Collapse -
After revealing this...If I were you....

In reply to: Well, I certainly think so.

I'd leave the lights on at night. HappyDevil

Collapse -
No use. They're genetically modified

In reply to: After revealing this...If I were you....

to see in the dark. I'm doomed - doomed, I tell ya!

Collapse -
(NT) No, just a typo

In reply to: Was that Deliberate?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.