General discussion

Chuck Schumer on pre-war intel

From Fox News Sunday

C. WALLACE: As we noted, the Democrats forced the Senate into a closed session this week to try to force or get the Senate Intelligence Committee to investigate the manipulation, the exaggeration of pre-war intelligence by the White House.

I want to play a clip from your statement back in October of 2002 when you voted to authorize the use of force. Here it is.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SCHUMER: It is Hussein's vigorous pursuit of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons, and his present and future potential support for terrorist acts and organizations that make him a danger to the people of the united states.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

C. WALLACE: Senator, you read the intelligence and you came to the same conclusion the president did.

SCHUMER: YES. The bottom line is I wasn't as sure of it as the president was, but I believe in a post-9/11 world, Chris, that the president does need latitude to keep our national security strong. And you know, that is true.

But we also have to make sure, once you give the president that latitude, that you keep him accountable, and that's what we tried to do in the Senate the other day. Just because you give the president latitude, that's not at all a blank check.

And it seems that subsequent to that time, the president made many, many, many mistakes in the use of intelligence, and all we got from the committee ? and there was a lot of talk that the White House was directing Pat Roberts (search) to do so. He's the chairman of the Intelligence Committee ? was stonewalling on the use of intelligence.

And I think it's really important not to point fingers of blame, not to gain any political advantage, but so we don't make the same mistakes again.
{emphasis mine}

So YES -- Schumer acknowledges he based his position on the same intel as the President.

But, he didn't believe in it as much as Bush so he took to the floor of the Senate to make the strong statements he did -- wouldn't this constitute at least an attempt to MISLEAD the American people if he didn't trust the intel??

But he claims Bush believed it more than he did. Some might even conclude Bush had total faith in the intel. So when Bush spoke to the American people, he was telling the truth.

But the nonsense will continue.

Anyone catch the Bloviator from MA on MTP? Laughable!

MTP transcript

MR. RUSSERT: But, Senator, what the Democrats stood for on the floor of the Senate in 2002--let me show you who said what I just read: John Kerry, your candidate for president. He was talking about a nuclear threat from Saddam Hussein. Hillary Clinton voted for the war. John Edwards, Joe Lieberman, John Kerry. Democrats said the same things about Saddam Hussein. You, yourself, said, ''Saddam is dangerous. He's got dangerous weapons.'' It wasn't just the Bush White House.

SEN. KENNEDY: The fact is--and I voted against the war, because every military--I'm in the Armed Services Committee, and every military leader highly decorated, military leader, said that it was foolish to have a military intervention at that. General Hoar, with the Marines--General Hoar, who has more Silver Stars than you could possibly count said if we go into Baghdad, it'll look like the last five minutes of ''Private Ryan,'' so we know we had enough information to vote against it, I believe.

Man I wish Russert had followed that dodge up with a comment about how when we went into Baghdad it WASN'T like Hoar predicted. Someone should also have pointed out that a single general -- no matter how many Silver Stars he has -- hardly constitutes *every* military leader.

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Chuck Schumer on pre-war intel
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Chuck Schumer on pre-war intel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
List of other Dems that once "lied" too about intel
- Collapse -
I like Rush's pictures to go with those ;-)
- Collapse -
No big surprise

That the mainstream media won't follow up on this , eh

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The Dems are all lying fools.

CNET Forums

Forum Info