General discussion

Chrysler pays back bailout money...or did it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43155011/ns/business-autos/?GT1=43001

but from the link.

"To pay off the governments, Chrysler raised $3.2 billion through a bond
sale and took out $3 billion in lower-interest bank loans. It also will
use a $1.3 billion investment from Fiat."

Isn't this a bit like paying off a credit card with another credit card? Doesn't sound to me like a healthy business practice. Wasn't it Tennessee Ernie Ford who sang a song called "Sixteen Tons" wherein he suggested he couldn't be called to heaven yet because he owed too much money? Wink
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Chrysler pays back bailout money...or did it?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Chrysler pays back bailout money...or did it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
wouldn't that be something?

Die debt free or miss out on heaven. Considering some of the teachings in Bible about debt, that might not be too far from the truth.

- Collapse -
"St. Peter doncha call me, 'cause I cain't go.

I owe my soul to the Company Store."
I'm suspicious about Chrysler in particular being able to pay even the ice man, but maybe the Fiat resources have something to do with it.

My brother-in-law has sold new and used cars for years, and told me about trade-ins. Even a junk one can be handled in such a way on paper so as to make it a substantial part of the deal ... They call it "funny money".

Maybe the gov't got a good deal; maybe it got a '58 Multipla in trade. Devil

CNET Forums