Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

Chrysler 300 Starter relay

2008 Chrysler 300 v6 3.5L. Intermittently when I turn my key the car will not start. Sometimes it takes 4 seconds. Sometimes I have to jiggle the key to start the car. I thought I would check the starter relay first. In the fuse/relay box under the hood, I found 4 relays. I swapped the starter relay with the wiper relay because they are the same parts with same part number (Omron 21911C 05269988AA were the part numbers printed on those relays). By "swapping" I pull out the starter relay and in its socket, I plug in another relay that I unplugged from the relay socket that was for the wiper. I also plug the starter relay in the wiper relay socket. I found a Youtube clip that shows exactly this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdy3HIwZis

After swapping the relays, the car starts fine and the wiper will not turn on. I swap everything back to how it was, and the wiper works and the car starting issue returned. I did this several times to confirm the bad starter relay. So, clearly, the starter relay was bad. So I ordered the relay online. However, the next day, I try swapping the relays again. But this time, car will not start even after I swap out the starter relay with the wiper relay. The car tries to crank few times but does not start when I use the starter relay or the wiper relay. The wiper works fine with the original wiper relay. The wiper will NOT work with the original starter relay.

I thought I tried starting the car too many times yesterday and drained the battery. I jumpered the battery. Still the same starting problem. The battery is 4 years old, so I went and bought a new battery. Still the same starting problem.

I am puzzled as to why swapping the relays works one day but not the next day. Did I burn out a fuse somewhere? Did I break the starter solenoid?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chrysler 300 Starter relay
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chrysler 300 Starter relay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Relay

In reply to: Chrysler 300 Starter relay

Hi, Sammy. It 'sounds' like an ignition tumbler/switch issue. Probably just coincidental that it started after switching relays? When you mentioned that it would start when you wiggled the key, that is a classic symptom of tumbler/switch problem. With Chrysler products, I always replace both the key and tumbler along with the switch. A locksmith can change the tumblers in the new one to accept your O.E. key.
Good luck.
Loren

Collapse -
It was the relay

In reply to: Relay

Hi Landchamp,
I went to a dealer and bought the relay (only $2Cool. With the new relay the car starts every time. I still don't understand why the wiper relay works for the wiper but not for the starting. They are EXACTLY same relays with exact same part number. Maybe the wiper relay is also going bad but just good enough for the wiper but not good enough for the starter solenoid. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
I have this feeling...

In reply to: It was the relay

....in a few days, you'll be back, since I think landchamp is correct.

Collapse -
It's been almost a week with the relay

In reply to: I have this feeling...

The car started right up with the new relay every time. Started everyday. I will update again in a few weeks. I know it sounds like the ignition tumbler/switch (well, in this case the WIN module). But it looks like the relay was the culprit so far. If you watch the Youbute link and the video comments I provided at the original posting, you will see that many people have this relay problem. Thank you.

Collapse -
thanks for the comeback

In reply to: It's been almost a week with the relay

It always helps others to know problem solved.

Collapse -
Answer
It's been 2 weeks with the new starter relay

In reply to: Chrysler 300 Starter relay

It's been 2 weeks with the new starter relay and the starting problem never returned. I think I can safely say that it was the relay that caused the problem. I have asked many people including who I consider as "experts" and they did not know about this. The only reason I, a car novice, tackled the relay right away was that it was the least expensive part of all the suspect parts involved in starting (other than fuses). So, if you are reading this because you are having the same starting problem, check the fuses and relays first.

Collapse -
(NT) It's been 3 weeks an 3 days and still no problem starting

In reply to: It's been 2 weeks with the new starter relay

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.