Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Christmas shopping - bah humbug

by Brian S. / December 14, 2004 8:32 AM PST

Every year it is the same old crap, the retailers complain about another Christmas season that is not meeting expectations. What/who are to blame, retailers who stock their stores with junk nobody wants or retailers who cannot keep in stock items people want?

Here is an example, it is the holiday season and my son wants an Xbox. Ok, I think, this is easy, Xboxes have been around for a couple years so they should be easy to find. Boy was I in for a big surprise. No xboxes to be found anywhere, none at Walmart, Sam's, K-mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, I could go on with a list of stores (and online sites) that don't have any. Who the heck is in charge of ordering these for their stores?

A second example, Reeses peanut butter Christmas trees. I have been looking for 2 weeks to find these with no luck.

Thanks for listening to my complaining. As you can tell that I am really p---ed off that I cannot find items that I would expect to be readily available.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Christmas shopping - bah humbug
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Christmas shopping - bah humbug
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cheer up. It'll get better
by Steven Haninger / December 14, 2004 10:59 AM PST

Don't you hate when folks say that? As for finding a gift for your son, the X-box will still be there next B-day (if he's even still interested). As mine were growing, my wife would always tell them "You may not always get what you'd like, but you will always like what you get." Then she had to make that work. And ya' know, she always did. Happy

Collapse -
Thank you
by Brian S. / December 14, 2004 8:04 PM PST
In reply to: Hi, Brian

for looking. I went to the links for Walmart and Newegg and neither had any available. You are correct that they can be found at Amazon, the cheapest being over $300.

I guess that I should have been more clearer, I could not find any at their regular retail price.

Thanks again for looking.

Collapse -
You must have missed them
by MarciaB / December 14, 2004 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: Hi, Brian

The one from New Egg is $149.99 as described:
All Products> Video Game Console > MICROSOFT > N82E16875105062

Microsoft XBOX Holiday Bundle Pack 2004 -RETAIL

Model# F2300182
Item # N82E16875105062

Comes with NCAA Football 2005 and Top Spin plus 2 FREE months of XBOX Live!
CPU: An Intel 733MHz Processor
GPU: An NVIDIA graphics processing unit
Media: 2-5x DVD, 8 GB hard disk
Inputs/Outputs: Controller ports (4), Ethernet port (1), AV port (1), AC IN power port (1)
Features: - An internal hard drive, for massive storage of game information: first in the console gaming industry
- A multisignal audio-video connector that allows for easy hookup to televisions and home theater systems
- Four game controller ports that allow easy multiplayer gaming and enable other peripherals
Dimensions: 5 1/8" x 7 5/8"

On sale at Amazon for $110.00

Was out of stock at Walmart Sad

Collapse -
Product shortages
by jim c / December 14, 2004 9:33 PM PST

Sometimes it's not the store's fault. My daughter wanted a new Hoover wind tunnel vacuum but couldn't find one anywhere. I found a source on the internet and placed an order for her. They told me it wouldn't be shipped until at least Jan 10th as the Hoover factory can't produce them fast enough to keep up with demand. Since vacuums are not seasonal items, I think Hoover just got behind due to the Christmas crunch. Or perhaps it's a new model and they underestimated demand.

Collapse -
Re: A second example, Reeses peanut butter Christmas trees.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 14, 2004 10:44 PM PST

Hi, Brian.

Most of the high-quality Christmas novelty candies are no longer carried. Never mind that Russell Stover chocolate Santas (our favorite) are a standard item for Christmas stockings -- the margin per item is too low, and the stores make a lot more money by carrying other, higher-margin items (the outrageously priced Christmas varieties of paper towels, frinstance...)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
If you don't mind mail order
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2004 2:30 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?