Cameras forum

Question

Choosing the right camera. Help!

by Blufkip / June 1, 2015 6:06 AM PDT

Hello everyone and thanks for reading this post.

Me and some friends want to start a YouTube channel.
Some people advised us to buy an DSLR camera.

Currently I am on the Internet searching and have made a top 3 for me:
-Nikon D3200 + 18-55mm VR
-Canon EOS 100D + 18-55mm DC III
-Sony Alpha SLT-A58 + 18-55mm II (volgensmij this is the best price / quality choice?)

I made this list because of the following options I want it to have:
- + / - 400 euros
-external mic jack
-Video recording
-auto stabilisation

Could some 1 help me choose and tell me why its the best option to buy?
another, even better model is obviously also good!

Thanks! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing the right camera. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing the right camera. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Dedicated video camera.
by MarkatNite / June 1, 2015 10:33 AM PDT

I've said this before, but since the search function no longer includes usernames, I'll have to repeat/repost:

Nearly everyone would be better off shooting video on a dedicated video camera. The only people who are usually better off shooting video on a large sensor, interchangeable lens, hybrid photo/video camera are folks on a scripted narrative feature (who have the time to setup, block, light, do multiple takes, etc.) i.e. people who have the time to plan all of this out ahead of time and who also have the time to reshoot if something (e.g. focus) goes wrong during a take.

From focus, to sound, to exposure flicker, etc. there are myriad reasons to use a dedicated video camera unless you absolutely need a cinematic look -- i.e. 24p, shallow DoF -- and are on a budget of around $10k "all in". (By "all in", I mean camera(s), lenses, light rig, audio rig, glide cam/stedicam, edit bay, etc.)

And keep in mind that I've been shooting video on these types of cameras since the GH1 came out in 2009, so if anything, you'd expect me to be biased toward these types of cameras.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Let's hear what you have on hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2015 10:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?