General discussion

Choosing a wireless router that will handle my USB 727

Can anyone give me a few good choices for a wireless router that will be compatible with my Verizon USB 727 mobile broadband/air card?

Here is my set up (for home):

Laptop with built in wireless (G) card
Desktop which I may have to buy a wireless adaptor for
Another laptop yet to be bought (will have a built in wireless card)
I have purchased a Wilson "trucker antenna" to improve the reception for the USB 727.

I don't expect that all 3 computers will be active at the same time on the network. The desktop will be set up 15-20 ft away but I want the laptops to have access from anywhere in the house (I don't have any problems now with my DLink WBR 1310). While I want quality and reliability, price is a concern and I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Choosing a wireless router that will handle my USB 727
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Choosing a wireless router that will handle my USB 727
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Won't work . . .

The Verizon wireless system is different from a home wireless setup. And unless that antenna is designed for the same frequencies, it won't work either.

- Collapse -
Antenna issue

The antenna has an adapter that is specific to the broadband modem. That's not really my issue...I need to find out what routers will accommodate the broadband modem/wireless card. I know there are some out there, I just want better advice than what I'll get at Best Buy.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
AIR CARD ISSUE

What does Verizon suggest?, they should know.

- Collapse -
Did you check if they offer routers for it?

I see some at 3gstore.com but you might have to call them to confirm it.

- Collapse -
3gstore

Thanks for the tip. Do you know much about CradlePoint? I haven't heard much about them, but did see them on a web site while researching this topic yesterday.

- Collapse -
" I know nothing. "

Call and talk to them.

- Collapse -
USB727 and wireless router for home. i have a fix.

i'm in the same boat. i live in the sticks, but am able to connect to the net via my verizon usb727 wireless modem.

me and the little woman each have laptops with 802.11g cards. we wanted to be able to each go online at the same time from the den. the desktop pc isn't in the den.

my fix was to buy a windy31 (usb wireless router, distributed by synet) from amazon.com. it ran about $49, and it works. the first one i got worked for about an hour & just quit. i returned it. amazon has an excellent exchange procedure. the new one has worked great for a few days now.

my one beef, is that since i shut down the desktop pc at night, i have to unplug & completely reinstall the windy31 each morning. it's not really designed to be a stationary wireless router. but, it will do until someone comes up with something better.

good luck,
chuck.

CNET Forums