TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Choosing a Wireless HDMI Kit (multi I/O, HD audio, Linux)

I've spent the last few hours researching different Wireless HDMI technologies and I'm trying to figure out if there is anything out there that will provide all of the features I need and if not, what my best option is compromising on certain features.

Some of the models I've been looking at include:
Warpia Wireless USB PC to TV
VeeBeam HD
AirTame Wireless HDMI
IOGEAR Wireless HD Computer to TV Kit
Nyrius ARIES Prime Wireless HDMI Transmitter & Receiver for HD 1080p 3D Video Streaming - NPCS549
DIAMOND Multimedia WPCTV1080H VStream Wireless USB PC to TV at 1080P

I'm not trying to choose between these guys specifically but they are mostly what I've come across so far in my research that represent the basic functionality of what I'm looking for. I am very open to other suggestions.

My primary goal here is to have a laptop running Linux (Ubuntu 13.10 presently) with a dongle plugged into it, transit video and audio wirelessly (video to an extended monitor preferred) to a receiver that is plugged into a TV through an HDMI cable and to an amplifier/sound system through a digital medium (coaxial or optical cable).

Using Linux limits my purchasing ability to units that do not require sotware or support linux (AirTame supports Linux which is nice, Nyrius doesn't require software).

I've been made to understand from this article:
thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

that a transmitter using WirelessHD requires line of sight to the receiver and caps out at a distance of about 30ft. whereas a transmitter using WHDI can pass through walls and reach distances closer to 100ft. This would make WHDI my primary consideration after the need that the transmitter be a dongle as opposed to a powered device requiring cables.

Then I came across this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wireless-5Ghz-1080P-HD-AV-Video-Audio-Transmitter-Receiver-Kits-100M-HDMI-WHDI-/171101726996

Which confused me because it says that it is WHDI but only transmits a distance of 10m with Line of Sight. This has me wondering if I can get any better of a connection with a dongle.

My next consideration was whether I wanted a transmitter that was a USB dongle or one that was an HDMI dongle. I would prefer a USB dongle because it would allow wireless transmission from laptops or computers without HDMI, however I would not want to sacrifice signal quality. It seems from what I can find that Nyrius offers the best signal with the least latency but with an HDMI transmitter, so I don't know if a USB transmitter is an option for me but if anyone knows of one that can do responsive 1080p video without latency I would love to check it out.

I have not been able to find any devices with digital audio output through optical or coxial. In the worst case scenario I can run an optical out from my TV to the sound system, but this is less ideal than having a separate digital output coming directly from the receiver.

The last consideration I had was being able to manage multiple inputs and outputs. A receiver at each TV obviously with cables and power, but if:
a) the receiver had additional inputs for hardwired connections or additional wireless dongles
and/or
b) the receivers can send a copy of the signal to another receiver connect to another TV (and maybe sound system).

e.g.,

laptop w/ dongle outputs audio and video to external monitor

Receiver @ TV1 picks up signal w/ HDMI cable output to TV and optical cable output to amplifier

Receiver @ TV2 picks up signal (either from first receiver or from dongle directly) w/ HDMI cable output to TV (no sound b/c in same room as TV1 w/ sound system)

Receiver @ TV3 (upstairs in a different room) picks up signal w/ HDMI cable output to TV (video and audio or just video with separate audio from optical or 1/8 inch)

And receivers could also have HDMI inputs to manage your other devices like game consoles, dvd/bluray players, cable boxes, etc.

From what I've gathered on the internet, I'm kind of talking about a combination of two different kinds of products. One that involves powered transmitters and receivers that can copy signals to multiple output sources, and another that involves wirelessly transmitting HDMI from one source to a powered receiver.

So at this point I'm open to any input. I'm seriously considering the Nyrius Aries Prime and am going to do some more research to see how well people have got it working in Linux. It seems to provide the least latency and, short of a digital audio output, provides the essential functionality I need (as I said I can run optical out from the TV to the sound system and adjust for delay). If anyone knows of a similar device with digital audio output that would be very helpful. I'm also curious if I can add additional receivers to copy the signal (I will contact the manufacturer about this).

Hopefully I wasn't too confusing. If I could put it simplest:
Something like the Nyrius Aries Prime with digital audio output and hdmi inputs that can have multiple receivers to copy signal.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing a Wireless HDMI Kit (multi I/O, HD audio, Linux)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing a Wireless HDMI Kit (multi I/O, HD audio, Linux)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
OK, you have the basics down.

In reply to: Choosing a Wireless HDMI Kit (multi I/O, HD audio, Linux)

1. USB dongles mean you have to have drivers, etc.

2. HDMI transmitter dongles work without regard to OS.

But all this and I can't tell if you would be annoyed by LAG. No one would do this if they were gaming or using it as their primary display.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, and not for gaming

In reply to: OK, you have the basics down.

Although I won't be gaming and it won't be a primary display, I'd still rather have the most responsive connection. I found this model on Edup's website: http://edupwireless.com/product-6-1-hd-audio-video-transmitter-en/137286 that is pretty similar to the ebay one but the specs seem more accurate. I'm going to contact the company and confirm but it does seem better than the Nyrius Aries Pro which is also an improvement on the Aries Prime.

Collapse -
What I own.

In reply to: Thanks, and not for gaming

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Visit AVS forum for comments on which ones work

In reply to: Choosing a Wireless HDMI Kit (multi I/O, HD audio, Linux)

That's the only place I have seen with actual decent end user experience/tips.

IMNSHO you may be SOL though. It's not a good/reliable technology.

Collapse -
I'll give them a try

In reply to: Visit AVS forum for comments on which ones work

Thanks. I think I'm trying to decide between the Nyrius Aries Pro and the Edup EP-WH3596S Wireless HD Audio Video Transmitter & Receiver so I will head over to the AVS forum and ask them for some input on the situation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.