Question

Choosing a tablet

I travel a lot and would like to buy a tablet that would do few things:
- have long enough battery life to watch movies, online and downloaded
- webcam to use Skype
- reader for reading books
- 3G is not a necessity, as I don't have the budget to pay for another data plan (I have a Motorola Droid already), plus when traveling internationally, roaming is not the best option
- fast enough processor for fast Internet access of course would be good for checking email, social networking sites and reading newspapers online
- capability to be able to view MS office documents and spreadsheets

Given these, what would be my tablet choices? I am lost right now with all the different models out there.
Thanks much!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Choosing a tablet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Choosing a tablet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Can you tell why you didn't get an iPad?
- Collapse -
Not opposed to it but want to see what the competiton has

I could, I just don't know enough about the iPad competition and presume that there might be something cheaper that fits my criteria too. I like their computers but Apple products are definitely overpriced, plus I really like my Android phone and would like to see what the Android tablets have to offer.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

But as I shop around the Apple iPad runs as much or more.

598 buck Playbook http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Playbook-7-Inch-Tablet-32GB/dp/B004UL34VW
599 buck Xoom http://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-XOOM-Android-Tablet-Wi-Fi/dp/B0045FM6SU

And so on. And the features you noted are missing today.

How about an example of this overpricing? OK there are things like a sub 200 SuperPad at http://www.amazon.com/Superpad-Tablet-Google-Android-Webcam/dp/B004HIXDEQ but look at the reviews.

I own a Nook Color rooted and while it's fine, I would get the iPad if Apple did "one thing." It has to do with the Apps I author and the "one thing" is Serial Port Profile (SPP) on Bluetooth.

Hope this helps,
Bob (now porting company apps to Android)

- Collapse -
No Android apps...

I just realized now that there is no Android app for Netflix so Android may not work for me after all... Unless they come up with one soon.
thanks, this was helpful. It looks like my options are limited for now.

- Collapse -
CNET wrote about that and How To.
- Collapse -
Answer
Choosing an iPad

Never thought I'd say it, but Apple is the way to go. I've bought a lot of tech over the years, and I've been a PC guy since Apple went to Macs.
Nevertheless, this whole "user-friendly" thing makes sense with new tech, and Apple has nailed it with the iPad. You can dream up the wackiest thing you could possibly want your tablet to do and, chances are, later that day you'll be doing it.
I know this because I bought my technophobe wife one, and she has embraced it, and uses it very well, productively and for entertainment.
Also, what, a ka-trillion apps? Yeah, they've got an app for counting apps, I bet.
Bonus - you don't have to budget your 3G funds - hit the road with a one-time $15 monthly charge and you're good to go for your travels. This is a genuine advantage if you're already paying for a phone xG plan, and can't make a hotspot with your 3 month old phone. It's the best of all reasons to sign up with AT&T's service for iPad, even if, like us, your phones are Verizon.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thank you for your posting. I am not a technophobe by any means but somehow am not a big app user and so far what I have available for the Droid has been sufficient - a variety of travel apps, translation, dictionary and a few (educational Happy) games for my 5-year old. I did not mention that my travels are mostly international so a data plan there is actually not helpful. But based on the comments, I am becoming more convinced that the iPad is the way to go. Still, if anyone has good experience with other tablets, please let me know, would love to hear it.

Thanks R. Proffitt for letting me know about the Netflix app.

- Collapse -
Answer
How about Acer Iconia

If you are Android user, then try this one. Wink

CNET Forums