HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Choosing a new mp3 player

by freebird_76 / February 14, 2008 12:39 AM PST

Hey Everyone,
I am looking at purchasing a new mp3 player. I have a GPX 2gb, but i need more storage space, and I have to scroll through 500 songs just to find one that I want to listen to. I have pretty much narrowed my choice to 3 different models, the SanDisk Sansa e260, Creative Zen 4GB, and the upcoming Sansa Clip 4GB.
Here's some reasons why I've chosen these:

I don't want to spend more than $150, preferably under or around
$100.
I want at least 4GB of storage space(maybe more with an expansion
slot, cuz I'm a teenage guy, and my music collection is expanding
all the time)
I would like an FM radio(not necessary, but preferred)

I don't want an Ipod,because "everyone else has one", and from what i've read, they are headaches.I don't plan on watching video on it(I'm buying it to store music, not to use as a PVP). Sound quality is important, which is one drawback to the sansa e260(from what i've read), and the Sansa clip is supposed to have great sound quality.

If anyone has suggestions, or maybe other quality brands to suggest(within my price range of course), they would be greatly appreciated.

One Question about the Sansa Clip: Can you browse by artists(name, not album art, of course), rather than scroll through 500 songs to find one?

Thanks again,

Freebird

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing a new mp3 player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing a new mp3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My advice
by Drummer102 / February 14, 2008 4:50 AM PST

Zen V Plus 4GB or Sandisk Sansa 8GB and lastly the Zen 4 or 8GB. For these it comes down to the size you want all have FM and voice recorder.

Collapse -
The Clip is a great value
by ktreb / February 14, 2008 11:16 AM PST

If you don't want a lot of bells and whistles, then go with the Clip. I bought 2 of the 2GB versions on Black Friday for $35 each! I gave one as a gift and kept one for myself. I use it soley for my Rhapsody to go music subscription. Actually, it's not my main player. I have a 5th gen iPod and iPod Touch that I mainly use. But I like using my Clip with the music subscription to preview albums in their entirety before deciding whether or not to buy them or to listen to albums that I would never think that I would buy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have expandable memory. And since it is so small it can easily be lost. I haven't lost this one yet, but I misplaced another Sandisk Sansa player (Express) that was a little bigger. It probably fell behind some furniture somewhere in my house.

Yes, you can search by artist. You can also create on the go playlists.

Collapse -
Choose the Sansa...
by sirk337 / February 15, 2008 4:52 AM PST

I've checked out and used a few different Sansa's including the e260 and Clip and both are players that I would recommend. Yes, you can browse by artist names and other ways as well I believe. Most name brand players all have those functions so you won't need to worry about scrolling through all your songs each time. I noticed the Sansa's are starting to become more and more popular because their accessories are starting to become easier to find on the internet. Oh and last but not least, the Sansa Clip is so small you can like literally wear it around your neck. A big plus if you go to the gym or are on the move all the time.

Message was edited by: admin to remove ad

Collapse -
Choosing an mp3 player
by freebird_76 / February 17, 2008 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Choose the Sansa...

Thanks, I chose the Sansa e260. I can't wait until it gets here Happy

Collapse -
I chose the Sansa e280
by Craig Kirkwood / February 16, 2008 12:16 AM PST

I was looking in mid-December and chose the Sansa e280. 8GB, good form, good ease of use, great audio quality, expansion capable with microSD, not expensive, packaged earbuds at least as good as others, good battery life and works well with online services. A "leading consumer periodical" rated it highly. I had difficulty with an _Bay vendor for accessories (and finally purchased from another vendor) so I missed my chance to get into it over the holidays - sadly I am still using my 2GB!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.