The DROBO (see google.)
It neatly fulfills the needs you listed.
I am replacing my old server / htpc with a mac mini - hopefully with a new model if they appear on 14.10.2008.
I am looking for a external mass data storage solution that offers me at least two terabytes of storage distributed among 2 or more drives in order to achieve a secure and redundant storage capacity of 1 terabyte without data loss in case of the inevitable hard disc failure.
I am looking for he following features - ordered by importance
1. redundancy - the data should be mirrored/backed up
2. Noise - no fans or at least smart fans
3. Power management - the system should power down the drives when not in use
4. Accessability over Lan and Internet
5. easy replacability and expand ability.
8. Speed - USB 2.0 would be enough - fire wire or faster would be great
Things that ate not important.
2 .Many connectivity options - the system should be connected to my network only at one point - AEBS ,mac mini or via Ethernet.
3. right now I have two fairly new 500 gb SATA hard drives I would like to reuse but it's not a must.
Most importantly the pricepoint. I figure I can get the 2 terabyte drives + enclosures for arround 350 euros which is about what I want to spend. But since this should be a longterm investment I could be convinced to spend a bit more.
These are the options I have in mind right now.
1. Buying two terabyte drives and putting them in decent enclosures, although I would not know which enclosures, and just hooking them up to the mini on 2 usb ports. -->probably the cheapest and can easily upgraded but problemantic in terms of noise and power management.
2. Getting a two bay raid enabled enclosure like the LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ Dual --> quite expensive - but excellent quality and feature rich. Are there cheaper options?
3. Getting a nas device like the dlink DNS 323. since I actually already have a mac mini always running or the airport extreme basestation I am not sure if its a good idea to bring in another stand alone device.
Please tell me what you suggest and about solutions you use for your self.
greetings from austria