General discussion

chkdsk, stage 5. monitor goes dark

I was checking my Vista PC for errors. Error checking ran fine in stages 1-4. In stage 5, monitor went dark, cooling fan runs high speed and after 2 hours, I see no results (or anything else). I did hear the Vista startup jingle about 15 minutes ago, but still no video. I ran the same process yesterday and after 2.5 hours I hard powered down with power button. PC, otherwise seems to be performing ok. Ideas??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: chkdsk, stage 5. monitor goes dark
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: chkdsk, stage 5. monitor goes dark
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No make, model, age or longer story.
- Collapse -
Dell XPS420

PC is a Dell XPS 420, 3 years old, Vista Home Premium, Dell flatscreen lcd monitor, DVI connection.

- Collapse -
At 3 years.

It should be the third time you are doing that.

- Collapse -
???

3rd time? I already tried error checking twice.

- Collapse -
Western Digital Lifeguard

I located the free WD Lifeguard drive diagnostics for the WD drive. I am currently running it to detect any drive errors.

- Collapse -
No errors on drive

WD diagnostics shows no errors on drive. I accept that. I just wish I knew why Vista's error-checking screwed up.

- Collapse -
Try

The third time doing what I linked to in my first reply.

- Collapse -
Alternate error-checking software?

Can you recommend an alternate Vista error-checking software?

- Collapse -
cleaned pc - no help

Since chkdsk operates in DOS, I was wondering if my DVI-D monitor could be the problem? I looked in BIOS, and I see nothing in power settings or video that would shut the monitor off. Maybe the Dell 2001FP LCD is too sophisticated to operate under DOS? I see nothing in the monitor's controls that would cause this.

- Collapse -
Sorry

But this sounds like the machine needs repair.

CHKDSK when booting Vista does not run in a DOS mode. That could mislead us to think of other than what it could be. The machine's details are eluding me. It could be as simple as there are more than one video connections and the machine is using the other output.
Bob

- Collapse -
I might try switching back to vga cable

Frustratingly, PC works fine otherwise. I ran Spinrite and same problem happens. Spinrite cd runs its own DOS on boot.
Thanks for helping.
David

- Collapse -
First time I read spin rite.

Sorry but as this was a Vista forum I would not know what is not told. For example I can't find the make, model, any add ons, etc.

Using only what I've found in this posting the problem looks to be a machine that needs repair. Of if it did that from day one, a chat with the machine's maker to correct a flaw.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info