Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CHKDSK Runs on BootUp Automatically+Norton Crashed?

by ladytrickster / August 22, 2009 4:32 AM PDT

WIN XP Pro SP3 (+NortonSecurity2009) Two days ago & ongoing: On BootUp CHKDSK NTSF started running automatically on Blue Screen every time I turn on the computer. "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" and proceeds to check C:\ for 'Files' 'Indexes' and 'Security Descriptors.' (command line 'parameters' are needed for all these) Then Windows boots up normally. When I went to defrag I was not allowed to proceed because of CHKDSK and something about damaged files. Where did this CHKDSK automatic behavior come from & what is it doing? Is my disk corrupted? Will all my files get eaten from the inside out? (BTW-this "DUMMIE" [me] has NO backup) At the Very Same Time - My Norton Anti-Virus became Completely Disabled. An icon appeared on my desktop where I've not had one before - but I cannot access the program from there, from Start-AllPrograms, or even from C:\ProgramFiles, open, run. Nothing. The System-Tray Norton icon is gone too! Tried to download a quick, free good antivirus program for right-now protection: AVG and/or Avast - both failed. My behind is hanging in the breeze. (hoping that Windows little Virus Protection & the Firewall will do ok short-term) I've run Malwarebytes, Spy-Bot, & Terminator, but those aren't AntiVirus. HELP! These issues look like maybe 2 separate problems? Maybe not. Has something really bad gotten in? I'm really stuck! Is CHKDSK the priority if there is corruption of the HD, or is AV the priorty? Seems like I can't do either. ??? Anybody- ??? thanks in advance, ginni - P.S. Should I run Registry Mechanic, assuming all the responses are true and clean-sweep it? Last time I tried, System Restore didn't work, and prob'ly wouldn't fix this anyway...
thanks for your responses, ginni

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK Runs on BootUp Automatically+Norton Crashed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK Runs on BootUp Automatically+Norton Crashed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, not Registry Mechanic, nor any registry cleaners
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

if you have run those already, then we may be seeing the results of so-called registry cleaning and optimisation.

What I would do at this stage, a multiple step process.

1] Disconnect from the internet, physically. Computer turned off for this. We don't know what protection this system now has.

2] Uninstall all Nortons products from the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs. It isn't working at the moment, but it may be holding back some processes like ChkDsk and Defrag. If you have paid for it, you can always re-install later and use that same license code.

3] Reboot, (restart), the computer to finish the uninstall process. If ChkDsk has to run again, then let it.

4] When Windows has fully loaded, go to My Computer, right click the C Drive, select Properties, then in the Tools tab, select "Check disk for errors". The system may need a restart. This is the same ChkDsk, but it is performing a full check not invoked by some error.

5] When it is done and Windows has fully loaded, reboot it. If ChkDsk doesn't intervene again, goto the C Drive properties once more and in the Tools tab, run the Disk Defragmenter.

See if that helps.

That, "No backups" is worrying. If you can back up those, 'can't be lost' personal files like photos, music, videos, documents, etc, before doing all this, then I would do so. It is always risky when disk errors start creeping in and you have no backups.

6] When all is done, turn on the Windows Firewall, (or check it is still turned on), close down the computer to re-connect the internet cable. Restart the computer and either choose to try ad reinstall Nortons or select one of the free anti-virus utilities. Whichever you choose, make sure it is up to date and perform a full system scan.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
CHKDSK Runs on Boot-But NO RegistryClean Has Been Performed
by ladytrickster / August 23, 2009 7:01 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply, Mark ~
You proposed that the problem may be the result of a Registry Clean & Optimize. But I Haven't Used It! I did seriously think about it - but I don't touch the Registry (I really am a "dummie" - but smart enough to listen when people say "Don't touch it!" I did do an update to RM, tho, and found it doesn't allow me a Restore Point? box is gray) The steps you provided make sense. I'll do each of them carefully - Starting with copies of my "Can't-Lose-These-Precious-Files."
I don't know what the results of these proposed steps will be. Will manual CHKDSK find & fix errors? (+ it's time for a defrag anyway) I've GOTTA have my AntiVirus running without fail. I'm stumped why AVG & Avast both failed to download. I set the Firewalls down - did I maybe not get all the locations for that? OK to Uninstall & Reinstall Norton - but I sure am nervous right about now. Even tho I have the Norton disk, I've got a Dinosaur Dial-Up & any part of Install that requires connection can go wrong. It's happened before.
Are these 2 events related somehow? Got any idea why this auto-running CHKDSK thing is happening or why my Norton suddenly became disabled? Sometimes after Windows AutoUpdates, weird stuff happens - you too? Or has a nasty virus disabled my AV? I could see that. But why would a virus or whatever fiddle w/settings like chkdsk? This is all too weird.
All responses Welcome! ~ ginni

Collapse -
It's difficult to say.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 7:25 PM PDT

Hi ginni. Thanks for that about the registry cleaners. Good to hear.

It's difficult to say why ChkDsk is running each time you startup. The obvious, and most worrying, reason, is that your hard disk is about to fail, and that is why backing up your files at this stage might be a good idea.

But that is not always the case. All hard disks gather disk errors over time, but the disk controller system manages them and bypasses them very well. Virus or other malware damage can be a cause. They will interfere with disk management components and cause problems. Norton is a known resource hog, and some Norton products have their own system managers that cause problems and conflicts. System Restore is often one casualty.

I'm hoping that the manual Check Disk, with Norton uninstalled, will run smoothly and fix any errors, and reset itself. The Defrag tool will often fail until a ChkDsk has been performed, but that is a known effect of bad disk sectors.

Your dial-up. There's little we can do about that, but may be downloading other anti-virus failed, and you had corrupted file downloads.

One other thing I would suggest is to download, install, run to allow updates, of the free version of Malwarebyte's Antimalware from;
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
When installed and updated, run a full scan.

Anti-virus on its own is not sufficient nowadays, and we find we need other help to keep our systems protected. Malwarebyte's, (MBAM), is a good utility to do this. If you have access to another computer with a faster connection, you could download MBAM and it's malware definitions file on another computer, as described by Grif, here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=328528&messageID=2969621&tag=forums06;search-results#2969621

I'm thinking, reading both your posts, that your computer has malware damage, and this somehow disabled Norton. But you may have to consider the possibility of a hard disk failure, and start planning accordingly.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
CHKDSK + NortonCrash+HD Crash? - "It's Difficult To Say"
by ladytrickster / August 24, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: It's difficult to say.

Hi Mark Again - You're a real trooper. Thanks again for trying to think of ways to keep me from falling off the edge...
I tried the C:\... Tools, manual CHKDSK as you suggested, but it didn't make the auto-running-boot-up process go away.
I'm figuring at this point AV is priority if I'm gonna use the unit online at all. Using a different browser with a Norton toolbar confirmed that Norton is indeed disabled. If the 2 issues are related, I'm afraid there's somthing really wrong. I can't even open the Norton program interface; all I get is Tech Support window. I followed that as far as I could go, which was basically nowhere. I wonder, am pretty sure I'll go to Symantec Tech to get a clean Uninstall/Reinstall first. I dunno. Maybe I should just stop here in my tracks. Since I'm a "dummie" with no backup, what I've done "in crisis" before is unplug the dern thing, take it to the shop, have them do an "exact image" copy of the HD (correct term?), take it all apart, new HD, & good ReInstall... What'd'ya think? money I don't have... They could do, then, the Precious-Files-Backup before anything else happens. Huge Huge # of images & Really Importamt Documents & Original Writing. really a dummie... see?
Should I Just NOT Turn It On At All, On Pain Of HD DEATH? Like you say, "It's difficult to say." ??? decision time.

Collapse -
That Norton Uninstall would be a good idea.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

And Norton has a specific utility tool to help there;
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I can't decide for you about taking the computer to a repair shop. They can be expensive, and some of the 'less conscientious' ones may not be ideal. You would need a repair shop which is well known and respected. Also, if the repair shop created a complete copy, (image), of this hard disk, then installed that image onto a new hard disk, we don't know if that copy will hold the same problems as this existing installation.

Backing up personal files, whilst it may be time consuming, should not be difficult. Grif Thomas tells how he does his here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?messageID=2493378#2493378

If you were to back up those files now, (a bit at a time if necessary), then remove Norton, and see if that helps solve problems. If so, either attempt to install Nortons again, or go for another anti-virus.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?