Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

CHKDSK Question.

When I run CHKDSK on my Windows XP it goes through the whole procedure, steps 1,2,&3, then disappears real quick before I get a chance to read everything. Is there some way to keep it from doing that? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK Question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK Question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Viewing The Chkdsk Log....

In reply to: CHKDSK Question.

Instead of stopping the process, why not view the Chkdsk log:

In XP, open the Control Panel, double click on "Adminstrative Tools", double click on the "Event Viewer" icon, then click on "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your Chkdsk.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Viewing The Chkdsk Log....

In reply to: Viewing The Chkdsk Log....

Followed your diections and it worked fine. Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Vesta, Good Job & Glad It Helped

In reply to: Re: Viewing The Chkdsk Log....

Collapse -
Re: CHKDSK Question.

In reply to: CHKDSK Question.

Click start>run>type in cmd and hit enter. The command prompt comes up with a flashing cursor. Type in chkdsk /f. The slash f part of the command tells your computer to fix errors. The command prompt will let you see everything and hold the info till you delete the command promt

Collapse -
XP Home chkdsk

In reply to: Re: CHKDSK Question.

Hi everyone' I have another question about chkdsk'Does it only save a log file if you choose to automatically repair errors or scan for bad sectors? If possible I would like to be able to view any errors it may have found regardless of if I choose to automatically allow chkdsk to repair them'Of course since no reboot is needed for a mere check without repair there's no win loggon in event viewer' at least not in mine anyway and a search of my putter and look at my rootdirectory with all hidden and protected files set to be shown in folder options still turns up nothing'is this function just simply unavailable with chkdsk as opposed to Win98 scandisk? So far I havent found an answer to this exact question online.Thanks in advance for any answers :).

Jay

Collapse -
Pick an answer.

In reply to: XP Home chkdsk

Collapse -
XP Home Chkdsk

In reply to: Pick an answer.

Thanks for the links'Those are the ones Ive read for the most part in the past'I'll be testing out the different suggestions'But if it relates to event viewer or command prompt Ive already tried that with no dialog refering exactly to what I was looking for'So far at least'But I cant claim Ive yet exausted all possibilities though'One thing I can say for sure is the fact I had to get on the net to find the answer is a sign that Win 98's scandisk just in the respect of giving you dialog is actually superior to chkdsk in that one area IMHOP'This isnt an anti-xp rant by no means it is certainly superior to 98 by far in most ways from what my experience has shown me'But It would seem im not alone in saying easy to locate disk error checking dialog isnt one of those way's.Of course like one poster said you dont need to worry as much about displaying results with the NTFS file system'But I have to admit I still miss not having a simple checkbox right there on the error checking interface itself that will show you results either way' errors or no errors auto-repair or no auto repair.I still like to look for myself before automatically repairing:)

Collapse -
Here's why this is so.

In reply to: XP Home Chkdsk

XP is based on Windows 2000 which is based on Windows NT. If you follow the lineage and what users they marketed those OSes to, then you begin to comprehend why things are the way they are.

PS. XP is now a very old OS. The items you ask for were not in the works then (pre-2000) as Microsoft really does expect users/owners to hit the books.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
all you have to do is...

In reply to: XP Home Chkdsk

redirect the output to a file.

chkdsk > c:\checkdisk.txt writes everything that would normally show on screen to a file named checkdisk.txt located (in this instance) on the root drive.

This will also work with any of the appropriate chkdsk switches available.
[drive:] Specifies the drive to check.
filename Specifies the file(s) to check for fragmentation (FAT only).
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V FAT only: Displays the full path and name of every file on
the disk.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
(implies /F).
/L:size NTFS only: changes the log file size to the specified number
of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current
size.
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the directory
tree.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.