Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CHKDSK not performing

Scheduled file system error check not happening on boot or reboot.This has been the case for sometime,now I can't defrag,because I'm informed that a CHKDSK is scheduled? I would appreciate any comments and thank you in advance for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK not performing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK not performing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CHKDSK not performing

In reply to: Re: CHKDSK not performing

Before I start I'd like to thank you both.
I am able to run C and I switches from the command prompt am able to schedule Chkdsk C:/f or /v/f to be run on boot. It fails to run.
Defrag refuses to run because Chkdsk is scheduled.
Task folder is empty.I'll keep on truckin' and backing up my files.
I would still appreciate any suggestions from anyone.

Collapse -
Re: CHKDSK not performing. Because of Task Scheduler ...

As I said, you have a problem with Task Scheduler, probable a corruption in its database. This needs some surgery and after that reinstalling the task scheduler service. Before we can go further, you need to confirm if you have the windows XP CD kit. Also, check if you have the mstask.dll file under c:\windows\system32 folder.

Note

The task scheduler reinstallation procedure I'm talking about isn't found on a Google search.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
chkdsk/f. How do you remove or turn off check disk?

In reply to: Re: CHKDSK not performing. Because of Task Scheduler ...

Thank you ahead of time for any help in dealing with chkdsk/f.

This program may have been part of an auto update I do not know! Several months ago defrag on C drive suddenly refused to work but only on C drive.

The note reads: Disk Defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C). Please run chkdsk/f.

I have read many posts and not one of them has made a difference in dealing with check disk and hopefully removing or turing it off.

I would like to defrag my computer when I wish too. I am not trained in computers, however I do have some basic understanding of how to access and follow directions.

When trying to make use of some of the posts that I have read, I have noticed about a two second flash of a Dos Window but it cannot be read as it is just a brief flash.

Regards,
Tim

Collapse -

Hi Badabing,
It sounds as though you have a registry problem, but before you go into the registry, I suggest that you run
CMD > chkntfs /d
.This will reset the machine to the default setting of autocheck.
It may solve the problem.

Roger

Collapse -

In reply to: CHKDSK not performing

Actually, your message is low in pertinent details. Example: exactly error message and when the error it is displayed.

If chkdsk was scheduled, just delete its job file under c:\windows\tasks folder.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

Sorry,I'm Back.
mstask.dll in system32 directory-I have Windows XP Home Edition on 5 disks,labeled Compaq System Recovery. No error messages are displayed - I'm using SP1 of XP.
The attempt at resetting to default failed,Thanks.
Windows XP Home Edition Service pack1
1550mh AMD Anthlon XP
768 MB Ram
Zonealarm Pro 5.0.590
EZ Trust 6.2
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
S&D Spybot
listed only apps run in real time
Thanks

Collapse -

Hi Badabing,
Have you tried running cmd > chkdsk /f /r and rebooting?
If Defrag has warned you that only one volume (drive) needs to have checkdisk run you can limit the command to that disk with a switch. eg - chkdsk c: /f /r - would limit the chkdsk to volume 'C'
Hope that helps.
Roger

Collapse -
Task Scheduler uninstall / reinstall ...

1. Click Start, Run type cmd and press Enter. Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

cd c:\windows\tasks
dir /s /a

Note

If your windows folder's name and/or volume letter is different change its line accordingly.

Now, you could see desktop.ini and SA.DAT files and maybe others files ending with .job extension.

2. Delete all the files ending with .job extension. Let's say that you see defrag.job. Type the following commands and press Enter after each.

attrib -r -h -s defrag.job
del defrag.job

Repeat the deletion pair commands for the rest of .job files.

3. Delete desktop.ini and sa.dat files. Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

attrib -r -h -s desktop.ini
del destop.ini

attrib -r -h -s sa.dat
del sa.dat

4. From windows Explorer, go to c:\windows\inf folder. Scroll down until mstask.inf file. Right click, mstask.inf, select Install option.

The procedure needs mstask.dll and mstask.ini files. For mstask.dll you should browse to c:\windows\system32 folder. For the mstask.ini file browse to i386 folder of your windows XP CD kit.

Note

If your windows folder's name and/or volume letter is different browse accordingly.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

I had the same problem after updating Zone Alarm Firewall. I completly removed the firewall program from my two computers and check disc now runs fine on both computers. I am now using Sygate Firewall and check disc still works fine.

Collapse -
Registry edit, "Q831426''

1. Chkdsk.exe is the command-line interface which verifies the logical integrity of a file system, [Q314835].

When running CHKDSK and logical inconsistencies are encountered in file system data, it performs repair actions (assuming that the data is not in read-only mode).

When running it online, the code that actually performs the verification resides in utility DLLs (Untfs.dll and Ufat.dll). The verification routines that it invokes are the same routines that run when a volume is verified through the Windows Explorer or the Disk Management Graphical User Interface.

If an error is encountered which causes a system to shutdown prematurely, CHKDSK is scheduled during the next boot and calls Autochk.exe which is run early in the startup sequence, runs without the benefit of virtual memory use, and is run when CHKDSK is used on the boot volume. CHKDSK cannot dismount the boot volume so it offers the option to run the repair process by using Autochk when the computer is restarted, [Q831426].

Note: Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows media CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe, [Q307654]. Also note, CHKDSK can be initiated using the Recovery Console.

a. Chkdsk without parameters - it runs in read-only mode, examines a disk and then reports whether it found any file system errors but does not repair anything.

b. Chkdsk with parameters - parameters /f or /r errors are repairs relating to the file system structure.

Note: When it is run with parameters on a volume other than the boot volume, the volume must be locked for exclusive use before repairs can be made. Be prepared for a long wait since it does not have a cancel option though you can specify options to reduce the time necessary. It must complete before anything else can be done.

c. In addition to using the command-line version of CHKDSK, it can be run from My Computer/Explorer but the graphical version offers the read-only mode equivalent where CHKDSK will run to completion only if no significant corruption exist and no correction is made, [Q315265]. And for your information and for what it is worth, be aware of the contents of this article even though it does not mention WinXP, "Err Msg: CHKDSK Detected Minor Inconsistencies on the Drive... (Q109524)."

d. Supplemental reading:

(1) "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Computer After Upgrade to Windows XP (Q316506)."

(2) "Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted (Q315403)."

2. For correct verification, a volume must be static, and the only way to guarantee a static state is to lock the volume. CHKDSK locks the volume only if you specify the /F switch (or the /R switch, which implies /F), [User Action].

Collapse -
Re: BINGO! CHKDSK not performing

Bingo!!
First,I'd like to thank each and everyone:xcks,cetin denislam,rogleale,nevr_dn,Cursorcowboy.
I appreciate your time and expertise.

The problem was ZonealarmPro the newer version.When I uninstalled all was back to normal.I have not abandoned Zonealarm. I reinstalled Zonealarm Pro 4.0.123 and all remained well,Apparently the problems arise with the ambitious newer versions 5.0.etc thanks again.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: BINGO! CHKDSK not performing

We too had the problem with Zone Alarm, I removed it and can use CHKDSK, but want to have the protection, how do I get the free ZA 4. version back until they fix the newest version?
Thank you for your help, I enjoy reading postings and am in awe of all of your knowledge and willingness to help us out.

Collapse -

I use the pay version-you need a license key.
You can probably pick up some version of an old version of the free app,at oldversion.com and then register it and get an upgrade. Good luck.

Collapse -

I'd like to add if you were using ZAPro and have a license key, I believe Zonelabs will allow you to download 4.5 0r earlier.

Collapse -
Workaround for Chkdsk and Diskeeper ...

Collapse -
Re: Workaround for Chkdsk and Diskeeper ...

In reply to: Workaround for Chkdsk and Diskeeper ...

Workaround? I'm paying for this! either do it right or label it beta. Only with computer software does the consumer have to put up with this BS,all kinds of ridiculous disclaimers absolving them from any responsibility for any damage done by thier "buggy" illconceived programs. This has to change!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.