Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CHKDSK freezes when finished

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and Windows XP Home Edition.

My computer will not stop running the CHKDSK. It takes about an hour and then it finishes up and says "CHKDSK finished, the drive is clean ...", but then it freezes there and I can't click out of it. I have to hold the button in to reboot and everytime the computer goes on an infinite loop of CHKDSK and I can never get past the last page where it says it's done.

I really need to use my computer, but I haven't been able to anything with it for about 4 days. I tried using safemode and it froze on that too. Please help, and thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK freezes when finished
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK freezes when finished
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had to use the WABAC machine.

In reply to: CHKDSK freezes when finished

But the old cause was Zone Alarm. Was that on the machine?

-> Details matter. I see so little about the machine, a story and what happens with all the other boot options. Please detail each item and if you miss one, I'll ask about it.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: I had to use the WABAC machine.

I am not very familiar with computers which is why I asked for help. So i'm not exactly sure what details you would like. I can tell you exactly how everyhting happened, but that's all I know. I apologize for this.

I recently bought a burner and upgraded to high speed internet. Well soon after installing the burner and the access point usb for the wireless internet, I started getting a blue screen that would say that the computer needed to be restarted and that it may have been a recent software or hardware change that caused this. I couldn't click out of the screen, so I had to reboot by pushing the button. When it restarted and got to the login screen a box would pop up saying that Windows had to protect files that may have recently been modified or changed and they had to be backed up. So I thought it was the burner and I uninstalled all the programs and disconnected the burner. The blue screen appeared again, but this time I had a better view and it still said the same thing about a recent software or hardware change or also somethign about memory. So I restarted again and deleted some things and ran a virus scan just to be sure. There were no viruses found. So I decided to run the CHKDSK to check for any errors. The box came up and said that the next time the computer restarted the CHKDSK would happen. I restarted it and let the CHKDSK run, but then it got to the final step where it was finished and would not go any further an dI could not click out of it. I restrtaed the computer and tried again, still the same thing.

Since then I tried using safe mode and safe mode with command prompt and all I get is a black screen with white writing and it freezes with all the drivers listed. I let it sit for a while but nothing happened. I tried safe mode with command pompt and the same exact thign happened. I then hit f8 when the Dell screen came up and I had another black screen with more options. The same safe mode options and last good configuration. I tried last good cinfiguration, which left me with a plain black screen, but nothing happens after that, it just freezes on the black screen. I tried to use restore mode and it went to a black screen with white writing which listed all the drivers again, it didn't freeze but then went to the CHKDSK on a black screen this time instead of a blue screen. When the CHKDSK finished it went to the same frozen blue screen stating that the CHKDSK was finished and the drive is clean. I have no other options. The only other one was debugging mode and I don't know what that is. I tried to use a windows xp home edition cd, but it was a gateway so it wasn't compatible. I can't find my windows xp home edition cd so I may have to borrow one, since I don't think they are selling them anymore but everyone I ask can't find theirs either.

Hopefully this is everything you need and hopefully you can help. Thank you.

Collapse -
No modes work.

In reply to: Sorry

Not one of the modes from http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safemodexp_2.htm work.

We also do not have any restore or usable XP CD.

-> That's the end of the game I fear.

Let's move forward and throw cash at it. Here's what I'd need.

1. A new compatible hard disk. Cheap today. You'll see why in a moment.
2. A new copy of XP SP2 Retail.

That's less than 200 bucks and cheaper than any shop counter fees so unless you think the machine and your files are not worth it, stop reading.

Armed with the new hard disk the old drive is pulled out since it's likely the owner had no backup. We install the drive and then XP. I never write "how to install XP" since there are plenty of web pages like http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm and the machine maker's support pages.

Now with XP installed and all the drivers we can add the old hard disk as slave or another connection to get the owner's files back.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: No modes work.

Ok, I just borrowed an XP cd. If this doesn't work then I am going to try what you said. It's way cheaper than what the geek squad wanted, which is $70 just to figure out the problem and $350 to fix the hard drive.

The only other question I have is, if I have to buy the hard drive, how do I know exactly which one to buy? Or are they all the same? Sorry, i'm not great with computers. Thank you again!

Collapse -
Just the facts.

In reply to: CHKDSK freezes when finished

I'll start at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/ to see what type hard disk I'll want.

1. I see it uses IDE hard disks.
2. The second hard disk has no place to mount so we might shop around for a mount like http://cgi.ebay.com/Hard-Drive-Bracket-fits-DELL-Dimension-2300-2350-2400_W0QQitemZ130267698456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_PC_Cases_Towers?hash=item130267698456&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting
or use some USB hard disk enclosure for the old drive.
Example at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145394 and there are some hundred choices for this.

4. I couldn't find the maximum size hard disk for this model so here's a 160GB that I find mentioned from time to time.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136112
(45 bucks!)

5. While we're there, here's XP Sp3 Home.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511
(90 bucks!)

6. If you need to use your machine NOW and want to copy files off the hard disk to some USB memory stick NOW try Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com/

I hope these fill in some answers to questions you may need answers to.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Just the facts.

When I go into the settings, which is about the only thing I can get to I might be able to find the maximum hard disk. I'm pretty sure I did see it and might have been about 500 MB but im not positive.

The USB hard drive enclosure, how would that work? I did read under settings that a USB hard drive wasn't installed. I don't know if that would effect anything.

The ubuntu would be able to copy the files from the hard drive? Which would then allow me to use the computer?

Collapse -
Answers.

In reply to: Thanks

1. The USB hard drive enclosure, how would that work? I did read under settings that a USB hard drive wasn't installed. I don't know if that would effect anything.

First you would not see it installed because you don't have one yet.
How does it work? Just like any other USB memory stick or USB hard disk. The reason for doing is in case your backups fail and there are files we must save.

2. The ubuntu would be able to copy the files from the hard drive? Which would then allow me to use the computer?

Yes and yes. And no about running what programs are on the PC but using the PC, yes.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll try that

In reply to: Answers.

Ok thank you so much again. I am going to try to use ubuntu to copy my hard drive so I don't lose everything.

I appreciate all your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.