Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Chkdsk at Startup

by raysavage / June 30, 2004 7:30 AM PDT

I am running win-xp-he OS. Almost every time I restart my computer, chkdsk runs, although never finds errors. How do I prevent this unnecessary (?) operation?
Thanks,
Ray Savage

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chkdsk at Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chkdsk at Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Chkdsk at Startup
by FrankQTran / June 30, 2004 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Chkdsk at Startup

Ray,

By any chances, you have Hewlett Packard (HP) ScanJet 5100c scanner? If that the case, try go to this 'http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506' to see if it can help you to fix it.

Regards,

Collapse -
by raysavage / July 2, 2004 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Chkdsk at Startup

Frank:
Thanks for your reply. I don't have the HP scanner. Any other suggestions?
Ray

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Article explains ''corrupted hive as well''?
by Cursorcowboy / July 4, 2004 10:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
by josephmauldin3 / July 2, 2004 1:55 PM PDT

In win98 you used to be able to run tweak ui (from microsoft) and disable that function. They did not put that into tweak ui for xp. Here's the link for it though-(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx). From my personal experience you don't want to disable it. If you do and you have an improper shutdown your files will corrupt and you will lose more and more fuctions until you will have to reinstall everything (from experience!). I know it might be annoying but it's best to just deal with it and be safe. Also make sure your going through proper shutdown and not just turning off the computer (as my son does sometimes).

Collapse -
by raysavage / July 4, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

Joseph:

Thanks for your response. My chkdsk pops up after start up or re-boot eventhough there has been no improper shut down. No errors are found; this occurs randomly (can't predict when it will happen, relate it to anything like new software, hardware, etc.). I have a USB external hard drive that I use for backups. The PC sometimes runs chkdisk for this drive. Still haven't found a way to disable automatic chkdsk.

Best regards,
Ray

Collapse -
Aha, may have been discussed before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2004 3:42 AM PDT

There is some unresolved issue with XP, External Hard Disks and what format (NTFS/FAT32) that causes this.

I have yet to hear that Microsoft is going to cure it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Aha, may have been discussed before.
by raysavage / July 4, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

Bob:

Thanks for your response. I will keep a check on posts at this and other forums - hopefuly something will show up.

Thanks,
Ray

Collapse -
Let me be clear. It's a known bug/limitation. Microsoft...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

You need to take this one back to mother and ask for a fix. As of today, I know of no cure.

There is some that note it vanished if the external drive was NTFS and some can't run CHKDSK on the USB drive.

Microsoft seems to be a be preoccupied with security it seems.

Bob

Collapse -
by josephmauldin3 / July 2, 2004 2:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
and another one...
by FrankQTran / July 4, 2004 4:44 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235771

However, If all fail I would suggest you to try to boot up with your installation CD then select a "Recovery Console" option then try to run two commands FIXMBR and FIXBOOT to see if it help.

Regrads,
Collapse -
by w0bjh / July 4, 2004 1:10 PM PDT

Mine was doing the same. After installing the SP2 RC1; the problem went away and the computer even ran faster. Uninstalled the RC1. Problem came back. Installed the RC2 and it went away. Will not suggest installing the SP2 RC2 since it is only a beta, but I haven't experienced any problems with it. Went through all the fixes, but could't solve that problem.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 4, 2004 11:45 PM PDT

I found a forum discussion on almost the same problem. It involves editing the Redistry. Maybe you will find it useful. Check it out HERE

Collapse -
Next Time search better ;-)
by Cetin Denislam / July 4, 2004 11:55 PM PDT

This was discussed here, in windows XP Forum. Here's the Re:Re:Error Check message.

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Next Time search better ;-)
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

OK. Just trying to help. That thread you referred to was more than a month ago, and in a different context, although the solution, if it works, may be the same. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, it worked for this thread's poster ?
by Cetin Denislam / July 5, 2004 7:49 PM PDT

? but he replied in the pointed thread (it was better to post in both). Anyway, better one reply than nothing Wink

Yes, I know that you were trying to help and this thread had a resolution (your criteria ;-)). Both threads have in common the same registry path but a different BootExecute content.

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter how old the posted message was (I remember many Forums messages since six years before. That time windows XP was in testing tube). But I'd say that using actual Forum's software its content reading and/or marking is harder.

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
chkdsk
by swapanmajumdar / July 31, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

system: Win XP SP-2, laptop HP/Compaq nx7400
in every start up, CHKDSK starts , checks two drives but does not give any error message. In next start-up also it does the same thing.

One of the drie info is shown in blue colour

Swapan majumdar

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.