Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Chirac Says Sharon Not Welcome in France...

by Blake Cook / July 19, 2004 6:05 AM PDT

PARIS (AP) - President Jacques Chirac said Monday that the Israeli leader would not be welcome here until he gave a satisfactory explanation for saying Jews should go to Israel to escape anti-Semitism in France.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's remarks Saturday produced a storm of rebuke after he said French Jews were under threat by the nation's much larger Muslim community and should leave.

Sharon was considering a trip to Paris, but no date had been set.

"A visit by the Israeli prime minister to Paris ... won't be looked at closely until the requested explanation is provided," a presidential source said on condition of anonymity.

The sharp response by Chirac, the head of the French National Assembly and others caused Sharon to step back, with Israeli officials claiming the remarks were taken out of context. The Israeli officials also praised steps France has taken to stop a surge in violence against Jews.

More...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chirac Says Sharon Not Welcome in France...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chirac Says Sharon Not Welcome in France...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
why would anybody want to go to france unless its to take .
by Mark G / July 19, 2004 9:06 AM PDT

it over, as the french arent to keen on fighting Grin

Collapse -
Re: Chirac Says Sharon Not Welcome in France...
by Paul C / July 19, 2004 10:26 AM PDT

From the story:

In the past, Israel has castigated the French for not doing more to stem an upsurge in anti-Semitic acts blamed on young French Muslims using the Middle East conflict to justify their violence. The latest French Interior Ministry figures show 510 anti-Jewish acts or threats in the first six months of 2004 - compared to 593 for all of last year.

In response, France has beefed up security at Jewish institutions and enacted tougher punishments against anyone convicted of a crime motivated by anti-Jewish hate. But in a nation where French police files are burgeoning with reports of such crime, a sense of uneasiness and betrayal has some Jews questioning where they belong.

Hmmmmm...maybe Mr. Sharon's on to something here - and maybe Mr. Chirac has better things to do than complain about a person who seems to be merely pointing out the obvious...

Collapse -
Re: Chirac Says Sharon Not Welcome in France...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 10:40 AM PDT

Ariel Sharon's remarks Saturday produced a storm of rebuke after he said French Jews were under threat by the nation's much larger Muslim community and should leave.
===========================

It looks like Chirac sees ]:)a.s's]:) visit a code red alert.

Why would ]:)a.s's]:) feels threaten unless he's done some serious crime against humanity?
:
:
:
:
:
:
rUn fOrEst rUn.wav

Collapse -
Re: read the article again maybe
by jonah jones / July 19, 2004 1:02 PM PDT

#Why would a.s's feels threaten unless he's done some serious crime against humanity?#

#after he said French Jews were under threat# understand it now?

Collapse -
And what you need is analyze the post
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 4:03 PM PDT

Let me help you......
My previous posts is comprised of the following:

Paragraph one - A statement
Paragraph two - A statement.
Paragraph three - A question.
Paragraph four - A command.
==========================
Please focus on paragraph one and paragraph three.
Now did you see what I see?

Collapse -
Re: *big DUH!* of course i see it now!!
by jonah jones / July 19, 2004 8:58 PM PDT

Paragraph one - A statement
Ariel Sharon's remarks Saturday produced a storm of rebuke after he said French Jews were under threat by the nation's much larger Muslim community and should leave.

the french are never too happy to hear the truth about their inherent anti-semitism...

Paragraph two - A statement.
It looks like Chirac sees a.s's visit a code red alert.

as the visit was only in the planning stage, at the most your statement is conjecture-b/s...

Paragraph three - A question.
Why would a.s's feels threaten unless he's done some serious crime against humanity?

as your question ignores the fact that nowhere in the article did arik sharon say "i fear for my own safety" i.e. "threatened" it is just another example of your (already on record) prejudice shining through...

Paragraph four - A command.
if that command was aimed at arik sharon, israel, israelis, jews in general or even people like me who live here, then the 'short' answer would be **** you!...

Collapse -
Well, you are entitled to FILL IN YOUR BLANKS---
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 9:19 PM PDT

I did mine.

And you may continue to fill in your blanks at your pleasure.

In the event that I do not respond, please do not take my silence too personal. It may just be due to the no substance context which is not the first of my encounter or let's say previous experiences in many of your responses. Happy

Collapse -
Re: FILL IN YOUR BLANKS---
by jonah jones / July 19, 2004 9:31 PM PDT

just a reminder,my little born-again convert to islam newbie, there were NO blanks til you let your prejudice shine through...

Collapse -
dItTo -- :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 9:40 PM PDT

I can honestly say, I have not encountered any microorganism that does not possess an minute amount of it.

Psycho analyzing most of your postings as far as Islam and Muslims are concerned --- I see more than a miniscule amount of it. I just hope you recognize the mirror in which it stands. Happy

Collapse -
Re: hypocritical b/s!
by jonah jones / July 19, 2004 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: dItTo -- :)

you want to check again?
maybe you'll correlate between your "F-16/sticks and stones" post and my reaction to your posts?

maybe you'll notice that a reluctance on your part to condemm the actions of (in this case, muslim) terrorist subhumans! was 'maybe' cause enough to show a certain amount of hostility!

you may also notice that your tendency to claim "the victim deserved what he got" added somewhat to the situation...

Collapse -
Let's just say....
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 19, 2004 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: hypocritical b/s!
Collapse -
Ummm, did Mohammad miss the part about
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2004 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: dItTo -- :)

turning the other cheek? Did he think Jesus had that part wrong?

Collapse -
An answer made before the question :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 20, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

Fill in your tank.

Collapse -
Re: An answer made before the question :)
by C1ay / July 20, 2004 12:47 AM PDT
Cry rather you pray to insect cups go in bravely by each rung into sheep houses...

Collapse -
Is that what Mohammad said?
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2004 2:12 AM PDT

Could be why I don't get it.

Collapse -
Okay then, don't loose a slept over it... :)
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 20, 2004 2:17 AM PDT

When you're ready to agree that we will always disagree but able to discuss the "commons" rather then the differences, then let me know. I'LL make extra time.

Collapse -
I didn't know anyone is welcome in France. They've made
by Kiddpeat / July 19, 2004 11:19 AM PDT

it clear that they don't want to bother with their lessers unless due respect is shown.

Collapse -
Re: I didn't know anyone is welcome in France. They've made
by dirtyrich / July 19, 2004 2:48 PM PDT

And their idea of respect is kowtowing to the overwhelming might of their culture...with such tangible influences in today's world like...ummm
I dunno.

Collapse -
I spent a week in Paris this April
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

We were most welcome. Everyone was kind, polite, generous with assistance, nothing like the stereotype we were led to expect.

Don't believe everything you hear.

Dan

Collapse -
Hmmm, perhaps it helps if you're critical of the US and
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2004 2:14 AM PDT

support the French position?

Collapse -
Kinda paranoid, aren't you?
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

In any case, though you do not describe my politics, there is no way that the French could have known my positions on any such topic. I approached them politely and they returned the behavior. It's a tactic I recommend to you when vacationing abroad.

Dan

Collapse -
Nah, I've just been around a while and had the opportunity
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2004 12:05 PM PDT

to observe the French. At this point, there are a lot of other places I'ld rather visit. The French aren't known for being technically astute anyway which is where my interests lie.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what do you expect from snail eaters yuck
by Mark G / July 20, 2004 10:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mark, lots of Americans eat snails.
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 11:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) so thats yucky
by Mark G / July 20, 2004 11:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
KP, I've been around awhile too....
by Josh K / July 21, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

....and have had my share of bad experiences with French tourists (I used to be a bartender) but I have to say that when I visited Paris around 12 years ago the people were very nice and helpful, not at all like I'd heard they would be. And no, they didn't know anything about my politics either.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) just see there past history proves it cowards
by Mark G / July 20, 2004 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't see what you mean
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

Could you rephrase that?

Dan

Collapse -
Re: I don't see what you mean
by Mark G / July 20, 2004 3:53 AM PDT

ww2 vietnam got there butts whopped says it all
theres a glut on french rifles fired 1 timed dropped alot

Collapse -
Re: I don't see what you mean
by Dan McC / July 20, 2004 3:59 AM PDT

What has that got to do with my treatment in Paris?

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!