Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Chirac: 'No' vote on E.U. benefits U.S.

by Mark5019 / April 15, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

PARIS, April 14 (UPI) -- A "no" vote to the European Constitution would weaken the EU and benefit the United States, warned French President Jacques Chirac, Thursday.

Appearing on a live televised debate with a group of 83 young French citizens aged 18-30, Chirac replied during two full hours to questions from the public, trying to promote a "yes" vote.

Chirac said a European constitution is important to help build a stronger Europe in the face of other powers.

"Europe must be strong, it must have the power to survive in tomorrow's world," said the French president.

Chirac said that France and Europe would in the future face other super powers such as the United States, China, Russia and even Brazil and the rest of Latin America.

sounds like the snail eaters getting desperate Grin

http://interestalert.com/brand/siteia.shtml?Story=st/sn/04140000aaa01827.upi&Sys=rmmiller&Fid=NATIONAL&Type=News&Filter=National%20News

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chirac: 'No' vote on E.U. benefits U.S.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chirac: 'No' vote on E.U. benefits U.S.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chirac's right
by JP Bill / April 15, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

It makes good sense.

It's better to be a big fish (country) in a big pond, than a bunch of small fish (countries) in a big pond.

sounds like the snail eaters getting desperate

maybe getting practical?

Collapse -
Yep, he's right.
by EdH / April 15, 2005 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Chirac's right

Heh heh heh heh heh!

Collapse -
Oh he's right, he needs someone,
by Jerry562 / April 15, 2005 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep, he's right.

anyone to protect them. The EU can carry them if they want.

Collapse -
Netherlands may reject the treaty also.
by EdH / April 15, 2005 5:51 AM PDT

It's not just France. The EU is on very shaky ground right now. I don't want them to fail, just to feel some pain on the way.

It's good for their souls and fun to watch.

Collapse -
im sorry but i want them to crash and burn
by Mark5019 / April 15, 2005 6:00 AM PDT

dont know why so please dont ask maybe its my bias:D

Collapse -
they still can make large white sheets
by Mark5019 / April 15, 2005 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Chirac's right

its still the reconized flag to use when you surrender:D

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not universally recognized, of course.
by Dan McC / April 15, 2005 4:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
but in there eyes it means surrender a french thing
by Mark5019 / April 15, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

in history doubt much has changed

still they have guns fired 1 timed and dropped 1 time:D

Collapse -
Yeah, you say that
by Dan McC / April 15, 2005 5:37 AM PDT

same stuff all the time.

Whatever.

Dan

Collapse -
dan why do you have to reply to my posts
by Mark5019 / April 15, 2005 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, you say that

it must be envey on your part.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah, you say that same stuff all the time...Whatever.
by Jack Ammann / April 17, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, you say that
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / April 17, 2005 10:25 AM PDT

Surrender flags or KKK outfits;)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the french arent kkk there at least good people
by Mark5019 / April 17, 2005 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
For entertainment only,
by duckman / April 15, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

Read the EU constitution and pretend you have to be a EU constitutional lawyer.

Collapse -
Funny thing is
by dirtyrich / April 15, 2005 5:43 AM PDT

A "No" vote probably benefits most of the other countries who could sign the constitution. From what I've heard, and what I've seen of France and Germany's efforts, the constitution would effectively set them above the rest of Europe.

Collapse -
sounds like the snail eaters getting desperate
by JP Bill / April 16, 2005 12:32 PM PDT

I guess they are not desperate enough

EU Worried by French Vote on Bloc's New Charter

LUXEMBOURG (Reuters) - European Union partners voiced concern on Saturday over growing opposition in France to the EU's first constitution, stressing there was no fallback plan if ratification is rejected in a May referendum.

Founding heavyweight France is the second EU state after Spain to put the bloc's first charter to a popular vote, on May 29, and an opinion poll published on Saturday showed 56 percent of French voters plan to say "No."

Senior EU leaders said that such a political earthquake would plunge the 25-nation bloc into uncertainty. Fear of such an outcome prompted EU foreign ministers, meeting in Luxembourg, to rally behind their French colleague, Michel Barnier.

Collapse -
So, let's see:
by Paul C / April 17, 2005 8:48 AM PDT

It might be that many Frenchmen realize that this Euro Constitution will mean that France can no longer be a large fish in a small pond (which I think is what you really meant in your first post). Or, it could be that 56% of the French electorate realize that this document is a hopelessly complex piece of bureaucratic gobbledygook that will take more freedoms from those it governs than it protects or grants. Or it might be both!

In any event, it's nice to see that the citizens of the land of my ancestors are having a rare attack of common sense - whatever the motivation may be.

Have you read this thing yet? If not, go here (Note: All files are PDF, which is OK, since it'll take you hours to plow through the thing, and if you print it, you'll save time and bandwidth).

Collapse -
Mark
by Sancho Panza / April 17, 2005 11:39 AM PDT

There is an entire world outside the USA.There are billions of people out there.They may not agree with you,but still have a right to their opinions without being insulted or belittled as you just did to an entire population.You will have a hard time to cope with life if your opinions are the only ones that count.At least if you plan on being an open person with wide views and not limited to your own kitchen.

SPOUS

Collapse -
tell it to the iraqi people as
by Mark5019 / April 17, 2005 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Mark

france was in saddams pocket.
you dont like me much and you know what i really dont give a damn.

the french government sucks. you like them great.

and as i only added my comment to that post why dont you write them im sure they will wait and listen to you as much as your the man whos complaing lol the sound of laughter is what i hear:D

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!