General discussion

China Loses Olympic Medal (Years too late)

"The International Olympic Committee has stripped China of its bronze medal from the women's team competition at the 2000 Sydney Games for using an underage gymnast.

**** Fangxiao's results from Sydney were wiped out in February after the International Gymnastics Federation determined she was only 14 at the 2000 Olympics. Gymnasts must turn 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/04/28/chinese.gymnasts.stripped.of.medal.ap/index.html?xid=si_topstories

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: China Loses Olympic Medal (Years too late)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: China Loses Olympic Medal (Years too late)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ahh, I feel sorry for the young girl

All those years training, but rules are rules.

Mark

- Collapse -
I don't

I feel sorry for the young lady that followed the rules and was cheated out of her chance for fame/glory and commercial advancements.

- Collapse -
True enough but do you think the

Chinese girl had much of a choice given how they reportedly scout, then isolate and train potential champions?

I'm sure she was doing what she was ordered to do by the government under tremendous pressure and threats about the future for her and her family if she didn't do well.

They both lost out.

Roger

- Collapse -
Did she come back next Olympics?

If so, win anything?

CNET Forums