Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

chin deep

by Edward ODaniel / April 28, 2005 2:23 AM PDT

comes back censored as **** deep.

What pray tell do the censors find perverse or perverted about one's c h i n ?

Can't even tell about the three pigs and their chinney chin chins these days. Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: chin deep
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: chin deep
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try typing a URL that has
by TONI H / April 28, 2005 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: chin deep

the word 'free' in it anywhere......url addy or page.html it all filters out to leaving only the .com or .html with stars in front of it. Now try typing it so it's not filtered out but so that others can figure out how to put the URL into the address bar since with the stars it's not clickable. The only way I can think to get around it is to create the alternate <a href= > type link with a common word as the link instead......total PITA.

TONI

Collapse -
The word free in a url...
by Edward ODaniel / April 28, 2005 4:28 AM PDT

is one we are all familiar with and aware of the actual reason behind it. Inconvenient but the reason is legitimate.

On the other hand chin c h i n or dark d a r k or horn h o r n and a few others don't really seem to have any real reason and can even directly interfere with legitimate requests for assistance or assistence itself (such as a problem with BAT/*****.A or BAT.***** -- see at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=96324&messageID=1107641)

Collapse -
You've done it yourself in SE, Ed!
by Cindi Haynes / April 28, 2005 4:47 AM PDT

Your link to

www.opinioneditorials.com/f r e e domwriters/jmartin_20050423.html

is farkled.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Yes, even the exceptionally erudite...
by Edward ODaniel / April 30, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

doesn't preview his posts all the time. Wink

Collapse -
try this
by jonah jones / April 28, 2005 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
***** rhymes with link
by jonah jones / April 28, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

c h i n k=slang for ********

Collapse -
And what's that thing in the armor U slip a dagger through?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 29, 2005 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: chink rhymes with link

#%$^ auto-censors!
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's funny! :)
by Jake Barnes / April 29, 2005 4:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) [b][/b]chindeep ...
by Jake Barnes / April 29, 2005 4:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Wayne, another word to add to the list...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 29, 2005 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
LEE,
by taboma. / April 30, 2005 3:27 PM PDT

How utterly useless this post was from the originator and why even post an answer back in the first place? Not worth it! Why can't you just eliminate it or lock it somehow?
After reviewing this original post and others responding to the post, I still have no idea or a clue to what he was talking about.

Kevin

Collapse -
re: I still have no idea
by jonah jones / April 30, 2005 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: LEE,

exactly....

Collapse -
Gee.........
by Glenda / April 30, 2005 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: LEE,

maybe if you read the original you would understand! We are talking about forum filters that are filtering words that are not banned! Sheesh! And that was a dumb reply!

Collapse -
GEE Wiz
by taboma. / May 2, 2005 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Gee.........

Glenda, Where was the original post from? Or are we to go through thousands of posts looking for it. Why wasn't the original post noted. Are we all mind-readers? I don't think so.
Where was the thread and where did it originate from.
Gee, whiz, is that too much for us to ask for??

Kevin

Collapse -
as you seem to have a problem
by jonah jones / May 2, 2005 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: GEE Wiz

following a thread here is the original post...

explanation:
any URL with the letters c h i n will be ******** (farkled)...

further explanation:
c h i n is part of c h i n k which is derogotary for c h i n e s e...

ergo:
chinese embassy will come out as **********.com

Collapse -
#%$#^% hit submit instead of edit :-(
by jonah jones / May 2, 2005 3:35 PM PDT

but i hope you get the idea...

Collapse -
"Thank God I am not like other Men"
by nworley / May 2, 2005 9:39 AM PDT

As many years as I have been contributing to the various forums, I did not know that certain words were verboten and censored. I remember that certain words were funny paper splashed with the obligatory @#$**9% to indicate a word not spoken in polite company, but I thought that it was done by the poster not a censor (Holy Roman Emperor!), now I find out it was left up to an automatic censor. I did know that the moderators had the power to erase an offensive poster, so I guess I am partially naive and ignorant.

Collapse -
Thank God
by taboma. / May 2, 2005 3:24 PM PDT

Nworley, Watch out mentioning GOD. You might be censored also. Isn't this discussion so dumb? Give me a break!
For the others?
Want to discuss this issue? Go to *******.com or something like that. You know the website and how to post it!
All so needless!!

Collapse -
Come-uppance *** contriteness
by nworley / May 2, 2005 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank God

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

Notice when I place c u m in-between Come-uppance and contriteness it is translated to ""

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Congress Edicts a Magna *** Laude for President Bush"
by nworley / May 2, 2005 11:37 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?