Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Chickens come home to roost - Saudi Arabia

by Del McMullen / May 28, 2004 11:54 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chickens come home to roost - Saudi Arabia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chickens come home to roost - Saudi Arabia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Chickens come home to roost - Saudi Arabia -- very disturbing, Del
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 29, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

Hi, Del.

I think Al Qaeda has decided to try to destabilize the Western economies by severely disrupting the flow of oil from the Middle East. This not unexpected move ("why did they wait so long?" is the real question!) makes Bush's "energy policy" even more criminal. We need to drastically cut our need for oil, and his policies have moced things in exactly the opposite direction. Just another area in which he's a disaster as President.

And I know what you say -- there's Konkel, criticizing Bush again because he hates him. That's not true -- I loathe him (as President, not as a person) because of his policies, not vice versa.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Now you can understand OUR sufferings over Clinton for 8 long miserable years.

Good to know the Liberals are getting all the ulcers now.

Collapse -
Ulcers for Bush haters.........

It is my understanding that the Congress is sitting
on an energy bill....not the Administration.

Collapse -
Re: Energy Bill
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 29, 2004 9:16 AM PDT

Hi, Del.

The current "energy bill" would do little to help reduce our oil dependency. I've catalogued Bush's missteps on energy before, so I'm sure you know them. The biggest is the elimination of the requirement for further improvemnts in gas mileage by the passenger car fleet, and of the scheduled addition of pickups and SUVs to the covered list. Time squandered in our losing war for energy independence, never to be regained. Bush and Cheney's energy policy is, simply puit, to maximize the profits to the oil and gas industry, and that's not what's needed by the country or the world.

How little the Republicans understand or care about the importance of energy indpendence is shown by their targeting Kerry for his support of a 50 cent per gallon gas tax a decade or so ago. Had such a policy been put in place then, most of the people now complaining about lousy mileage by their pickups, vans, and SUVs wouldn't have them to complain about, oil demand would be substantially lower, and so would the energy prices, not just for gasoline, but also for electricity and national gas. Now that China is starting to compete with us for the available oil (the real reason for the price runup), the tax could be rescinded, sheltering our economy from energy price shock. And the collected taxes would have been used for research into alternative energy sources, research initially cut back to develop the suplus Bush has squandered, and then further cut by Bush because he's an oil and gas man, not a wind turbine/ocean temperature gradient/geothermal fan. Kerry SHOULD be defending his previous stance -- but that's impossible to explain in a six second sound byte, while "John Kerry 's gas tax would have made your gas prices even higher" fits (and distorts) quite nicely, thank you.

Collapse -
Hey DK, ....Hello.........
by Del McMullen / May 29, 2004 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Energy Bill

I opened this thread with an article regarding a terrorist
attack in Saudi Arabia. As is normal, you have chosen
to take the conversation to criticism of Pres Bush.

Is has been the Democrats, and their envoronmental cronies,
that have blocked new exploration within the US, and
piled the restrictions on gas refining.

If you think/believe that any kind of an energy policy
in the US would have any impact upon the terrorists, your
thinking is further afield than I thought. The Islamic
Radicals don't give a hoot who's in the White House. The
closest to any interest they have is their spoken belief
that if Kerry were there, they could more easily further
their ambitions.

To take this a step further, if you believe that Kerry
can gain cooperation from the major european nations,
stop and think a moment. If those nations, Germany, France,
and Russia, had any mind of cooperation with the US,
they wouldn't have spent the past decade or more
cooperating with Saddam, or have been involved with the
oil-for-food program as it appears they have been. But I'm sure
they would like to see Kerry in the White House in that
they feed his ego a bit and get everything they want.

Collapse -
How does.....
by James Denison / May 29, 2004 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Energy Bill

....this concept of energy independance balance with the Liberal concepts of interdependant world economies in which each nation needs the goods and resources of other nations for their survival, thereby insuring peaceful coexistence since wars would upset that delicate balance to such a degree it would become inconceivable to engage in. Has that Liberal utopian dream now faded?

Collapse -
Re: How does.....
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 29, 2004 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: How does.....

Hi, James.

For the last 20 years or so, it's been the conservatives who have been the free traders. At the current time, and given the instability in the regions on which we rely for energy, energy independence is just as important to the national defense as anything -- and a lot more than some of the useless high-ticket weapons systems and ships being built in some important (usually, but not always Republican) Congresscritter's district!

Collapse -
Hey, I agree we should strive for energy independance, it's just the methods and ways used we disagree on. nt
by James Denison / May 30, 2004 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: How does.....

Collapse -
Re:Now you can understand OUR sufferings over Clinton for 8 long miserable years.

Hi, James.

I pray to God I don't have to suffer under Bushcroft much longer, because our nation, our economy, and the world can't take four more years like the last three and a third. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Bush is the worst president since Calvin Coolidge -- and I'm starting to wonder if it may not go all the way back to Buchanan!

Collapse -
Only four plus years to go ;-)..nt

Collapse -
What a pity!

Pity the various Muslim factions in Iraq can't learn how to battle with verbal slings, arrows, and barbs as do the political ones here.

It makes for understanding the "troubles" in Northern Ireland, tribal wars in Africa, ethnic cleansing in Yugoslavia, and others which have in common being hated although they probably don't even know each other.

The white crosses marking military graves do identify religion, but not politics. Their dying was non-discrinmatory. Clinton haters and Bush haters lie side by side. Their political views had nothing to do with the sanctity of their souls.

God Bless America!

Angeline

Collapse -
Jesus - "Let the dead bury the dead" nt
by James Denison / May 30, 2004 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: What a pity!

nt

Collapse -
(NT) Yes- follow Him now rather than waiting until it is convenient.
by Angeline Booher / May 30, 2004 6:40 AM PDT

Collapse -
good exegesis. nt

nt

Collapse -
Re: What a pity! -- Welcome home, Angeline; how was the trip? (NT)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 30, 2004 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: What a pity!

Collapse -
(NT) Heart warming and pride inspiring!

Collapse -
I'm a leftist and I hate Bush, WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Every steenkin' post for years. Get help man.

DE

Collapse -
Re: I'm a leftist and I hate Bush, WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

DE, I don't recall saying you needed help when you and the rightists whined about Clinton for 8 years. The country thrived under him -- it's going down the tubes under Bush, by just about every objective measure, including economy, deficit, and world respect, to say nothing of the deteriorating environment and infrastructure. It's the country that needs help, and hopefully, come January, it'll get it.

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by Angeline Booher / May 30, 2004 1:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Since the Dems have prevented Congress from approving President Bush's energy policy,

I find it perplexing that you try to blame him for the state of energy in our economy. I do, however, understand that you're just parroting the DNC line.

Collapse -
Re: Since the Dems have prevented -- Bush's energy policy is flawed, KP

His "policy" relies on doing things the way they've always been done, and in such a way that his buddies in the oil and gas industry make buckets more money (which, of course, is squeezed from the consumer and economy). Blocking his policy is the first step to responsibility in that area, but it's not enough -- bold new initiatives are needed, and good old boys from the oil patch can't and won't provide such leadership.

Collapse -
Re: Chickens come home to roost - Saudi Arabia -- very disturbing, Del
by Diana Forum moderator / May 29, 2004 9:01 AM PDT

I think the idea is to destabilize the Saudi economy. The Saudi economy would go under if all the foreign workers left. The Saudis are too good to do most of the work done by foreigners. Kinda like what they say about us and Mexican workers.

Collapse -
Re: very disturbing, Del -- is exodus set to begin? :-(
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?