General discussion

Chicken in every pot...........A Taser in every home

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/10913304.htm?1c

LAS VEGAS - (KRT) - The maker of Tasers is launching a major high-stakes campaign to market its new model to consumers despite scores of fatalities and injuries linked to the police Taser.

Taser International, which has made its name in law enforcement and the military, envisions a future in which millions of average citizens protect their homes and communities with the stun guns instead of firearms.

I wonder if everybody that purchases one will have to use it on themselves (as law enforcement does) to appreciate how it feels?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Chicken in every pot...........A Taser in every home
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Chicken in every pot...........A Taser in every home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If not themselves

then their little brothers and sisters.

Dan

- Collapse -
ill stick with my pistols

if im wrong the tazer only has 2 projectiles, and weve had home invasions here by several punks.

- Collapse -
I agree ...

... the "bad guy" has to get waaaaaayyy too close for my comfort to use a Taser!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
I'm with Mark, Evie...

I'll keep on traveling in a group of 3 - Me, Smith &Wesson.

- Collapse -
Nonsense, Evie.

Most untrained gun users aren't very effective at ranges beyond the taser's, anyway. Meanwhile, let me put it this way -- no way do we have a gun in the house. I'd consider a taser.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
And most encounters, Dave...

And most defense with a firearm take place at a range of 7 yards or less, Dave.

- Collapse -
At a distance of 7 yards or less, it's a matter of

lethal vs. non-lethal, J. Hmm -- which would a Christian choose?

- Collapse -
what has that to do with it

you mean a person who kills in self defence isnt a christian? thats bs and god help you.

ive never had to point or use my guns in the usa, but if i was put in a spot to save my life or a strangers and it ment killing the jerk id do it in a ny min

i would evan save a non "jew"

- Collapse -
To kill a person UNNECESSARILY in self defense

isn't Christian, Mark. Remember Christ telling his disciples to put up their swords when the High Priest's men came for Him? That's the example we're called to follow.

- Collapse -
yup and Christ died

if he had a gun:)= sword and defended his elf just think what would be.

you can be a victim Dave ill be a surviver.

and my sons will have there dad.

- Collapse -
Are you for real?

Dave if a person comes into your home and keeps advancing towards you despite having a gun aimed at him, you think it is unChristian to put oneself, and the lives of others, ahead of the intruder by killing them? You can have your Taser and hope the guy doesn't get to you and kill you before you can get far enough away to call the cops. I'll give the jerk enough warning to skidaddle. If he doesn't, I'm shooting to kill, and that killing will be NECESSARY.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Yup. Exodus 22:2

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed."

Mark

- Collapse -
Skimming again, Dave?

Here's the whole of what He said:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Matthew 26:52-54

Note that there was a very specific, and dare I say very important, reason that Jesus did not want to be defended in this instance.

Mark

- Collapse -
Also ...

... To kill a person UNNECESSARILY in self defense isn't Christian

Where then is the Christianity in killing an unborn person needlessly and not in self-defense?

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
This Christian

Would choose a gun. What about the case where a taser does NOT stop the aggressor? (Think Rodney King...wasn't he fired upon several times and kept going?)

And, I don't have a billy club or handcuffs or the strength to use them when the intruder recovers from the taser before the police show up. My guess is he'd be even WAAAY more dangerous than before.

Being a Christian doesn't mean being defenseless, or a sitting duck, Dave.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

- Collapse -
plus what about a person

high on speed or crack that is so hyped up wont feel the shock?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He that hath no sword, let him sell his cloak, and buy
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ...one. Darn NT. The whole thing fit when I typed it.
- Collapse -
dave i shoot every weekend

and what do you do when you use the taser when more than 1/2 intruders.

ill stick with a 6 shot revolver never jambs

- Collapse -
Most gun users ...

... are trained.

I'm sure that intruder is going to be frightened right off at the sight of you with a taser in hand. Nah, he'd be much more worried staring down the barrels of my shotgun.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
I beg to differ, Evie.

Many gun owners who "just have one at home for protection" are not well trained -- we're not talking "right to carry" here.

- Collapse -
Anyone I know ...

... that has a gun in the home, knows how to use it. You say you would consider a Taser. Are you considering some training in hand-to-hand combat? If not, there is FAR more of a chance that an intruder could grab that Taser and turn it back on you than if you had a gun. Incidentally, I know what I can do to a piece of plywood at various ranges with my shotgun. That's how I know it will be effective in my defense even if my marksmanship might be a bit shaky in the actual event of a home intrusion. It's also why I don't have a handgun (yet). When I do, I will be well trained first.

Good luck with your Taser. I'll stick with my shotgun.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
So much for the Castle Doctrine. aka Taser for Home Defense.

Maybe you should move to Massachusetts, Dave. Oh wait, even they weren't liberal enough to keep it overturned.

FYI the effects of a Taser are not as persistent as, for example, OC spray. In other words, it's not like you zap someone and they're incapacitated for the next hour or so. It's just like any other electric shock; granted, it's probably more severe than any shock most folks have experienced, but the point remains: once the zapping is over, the zapee is usually physically capable of resuming his attack within seconds, if not immediately.

So, the way a civilian would properly employ a taser for self-defense is to fire it, place it on the ground, and then leave the scene. Which is fine, unless the scene is your own home.

Mark

- Collapse -
I dsiagree -- nonlethal force is always preferable

except in wartime, and a taser eliminates the major problem of being more likely to kill or maim a family member/friend than an intruder, precisely because the damage is usually much less severe.

- Collapse -
dave your entitled to your views

i live alone and if somebody breaks in to my home im allowed to use deadly force and beleave me ill use my 44 every time.
you are welcome to keep your tazerGrin

- Collapse -
Non lethal force ...

... in self defense is often lethal too.

Besides, an intruder that isn't aiming for a conflict is likely to get the hell outta there quicker when he hears or sees a gun in the home. Everyone gets to live.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your link needs to be signed up to read
- Collapse -
Here ya go
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/technology/taser/

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Taser is planning to market its stun gun for home use -- an idea garnering criticism from human rights groups and others concerned about the product's safety, according to a report Monday in the Chicago Tribune.
- Collapse -
thank you

the police here in ga have had some deaths reported to be from tasers ill stick with my pistols.

- Collapse -
Dangerous? perhaps, but to whom?

First even if tasers are potential dangerous to a few, being shot with a taser certainly is less likely to be fatal than being shot with a gun. And that's supposely the alternative. Of course, taser companies are hoping that thousands that won't use a gun will buy tasers because of the "stun" rather than kill idea.

The home version supposely is less voltage than the police version. If so, will it be ineffective regarding 'stopping power'? will those being shot be able to attack despite it's shock?

Another thing I'm uncertain about is the difference between the voltage and/or danger of a taser compared to the stunners already available. The stunners require you to actually be able to touch the target indidividual. If the danger from the taser to the recipent is no more than from a hand held stunner, the difference is slightly more safety for the intended victim as he/she tries to fend off the attacker.

The example of the parent using the taser on a child and then raising a bogeyman of parents using tasers as new standard punishment devices is nothing less than scare tactics and emotive compaigning. The parent who would use a taser against a child is the same type as those who have used electric cords to shock with wall receptacle current or batter a child physically with any club at hand. Such emotional manipulation actually weakens any real arguments against the sale of tasers to home users.

JMO

Roger

CNET Forums

Forum Info