Question

Cherokee 1995 Headlight Switch access

Feb 1, 2020 12:13PM PST

Trying to replace the headlight switch on my 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Sport. Removed the lower dashboard, removed the switch lever, reached behind and removed the old switch, ready to install the new one. But the wires to the female receptacle are too short and it will not reach down far enough for me to plug-in the new switch and it seems impossible to slip it in and hold the receiving end in place to plug-in the new one. Also, other tight cables and structural obstacles prohibit any reach at all. It was easy to remove the old switch and impossible (for me) to install the new one. Any ideas? Should I remove the entire dashboard?

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Cherokee 1995 Headlight Switch access
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cherokee 1995 Headlight Switch access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I watched a video on the 1997 model.
Feb 1, 2020 12:51PM PST
- Collapse -
Thank you
Feb 2, 2020 3:13PM PST

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the '95 model is completely different. I have made some progress but it's taking hours (and a couple of band-aids). In my case, access is from down under the dash, and you need arms and hands made of rubber to reach. Finally the "female" should, according to all photos that I've seen pull down a bit so you can plug-in the male new part (several points of plugging-in) but mine is on shuch a short buch of wires that it won;t reach to the point of accessibility. It may have something to do with shops that worked on my car in the last 25 years seeing that I found screw-loops broken-off on my lower dash. The adventure continues and I still can't drive it...

- Collapse -
When I'm back on the web.
Feb 2, 2020 4:34PM PST

I'll look for a 1995 specific video.

You can search too (I use both google and youtube to find those) but the company that made this video might be helpful? Just don't tell them you have a switch in hand.

The old cable "had" to reach on the old switch so my thought is that the wires to the connector are getting hung up somewhere and making it seem too short.

I'll share that one of my new tools last year was a camera for my phone that I could fish into place to put an eye where my head and hands can't fit. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Endoscope-Borescope-Waterproof-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07YY5T4GY/

- Collapse -
That endoscope is pretty cool!!
Feb 20, 2020 7:10AM PST

May have to get one of those just because.

- Collapse -
THAT endoscope saved a lot of headaches.
Feb 20, 2020 8:15AM PST

I changed the car battery on my son's car. I dropped a nut. Where did it go? Can't see it. Out comes the next tool and found it. I luckily have another tool which is a snake like flashlight with a magnet at the head and was able to get down there and fish it back out.

Some tell me I could have not dropped that nut.

CNET Forums

Forum Info