General discussion

Cheney stiffs farmer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cheney stiffs farmer.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cheney stiffs farmer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Stiffs?

Usually when I buy something at a farmstand, they add up the amount due for me and I pay it. Stiffing implies that the farmer requested an amount more than $10 and Cheney only gave him $10. More just looking for something to portray Republicans as stingy I suppose. Incidentally, in season, $10 for that amount of produce is about right in this neck of the woods. Last time we were in Philly about a month or so ago, that much produce would have run us about $5.

- Collapse -
Cheats? Steals from? Bilks?

Always when I go shopping I ask how much I owe before I pay. That's the market system, you see? I don't know what the system is called where the powerful man with many armed guards decides how much to pay.

Stiffing implies that he payed less than what was owed.

I don't know if Cheney's stingy or not, but he's certainly casual about prices and payments. Hmmmm...Do you think that's where Halliburton gets it?

Dan

- Collapse -
Yeah ...

... and there is no indication that Cheney was told he owed more, thus he didn't stiff him. For the produce listed, at a farm stand in season, $10 is probably overpaying although the farmer now claims it to be a discount. IAC, he didn't seem to be complaining so why the petty nonsense?

- Collapse -
Re: Yeah ...

Maybe the farmer was just a tad intimidated by the fact that his customer was the Vice President of the United States and decided to let it go.

Too bad we can't search the old forum. I'd be curious to reread your posts in the "Hillary didn't leave a tip" thread.

- Collapse -
Or maybe ...

... he was going to give it to the Veep for free given that this was a campaign event and Cheney offered $10. The fact remains that the farmer isn't complaining so why the need to even make an issue here? I recall that thread. Surely you can see the difference in not leaving an appropriate tip when presented with a bill and knowing general protocol for such?

- Collapse -
Re: Or maybe ...

There's protocol in this type of transaction as well, as Dan noted.

Cheney didn't even ask if it was enough. He just handed over $10 and left. I used to be a bartender/waiter. Anytime I saw someone try that (just dropping some cash on a table and getting up to leave) I stopped them and told them I'd write up their check. Most times the amount of cash left did not cover the amount owed and if I hadn't stopped them, I'd have been stuck for it.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That farmer could use a guy like you, Josh.
- Collapse -
I miss those days sometimes

Being able to tell a customer, "if you don't like it, then get the F out!"

Felt good! Maybe that farmer should hire a bouncer next time a campaign swings through his area.

- Collapse -
Re: I miss those days sometimes

Did you really say that? Was that you? Where did you tend bar?

Simpler days.

Dan

- Collapse -
Re: I miss those days sometimes

LOL, I thought you looked familiar! Devil

Yeah, I worked in a place where we could get away with stuff like that. It's a bar on Bleecker St. called The Back Fence.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You were discussing manners in another post?
- Collapse -
Yes, I was

What I was not discussing was how to deal with rude customers. While I'll grant you that I might have been a bit more diplomatic with the Vice President than I would with some joker off the street, the rudeness on the part of either customer would be the same.

- Collapse -
Been to a farmstand lately Josh?

I would dare say that if any celebrity politician showed up at one here the same thing might happen. So much for "that'll be $12.30 Sir" or something like that.

- Collapse -
Re: Been to a farmstand lately Josh?

It might, unless the next politician has better manners.

- Collapse -
Go back to the original article Josh

The farmer in question didn't seem to have a problem with this, Cheney's manners, or anything.

- Collapse -
Absolutely, that could happen.

At that point, it up to the responsible, respectful customer to find out what he owes. Then the shopkeeper can tell him that it's no charge and receive the customer's thanks in lieu of cash.

Dan

- Collapse -
Well I don't know about Jersey farmstands ...

... but this was a campaign visit and I know how farmstands can be in my neck of the woods. You are making a mountain out of less than a mole hill here as even the farmer remained "honored" by the experience.

- Collapse -
It is already obvious that you have...

never bought produce from a farm stand and you should just admit it.

Price often, if not conspicuously posted, varies by customer and quantity.

In every instance I have witnessed, if money offered didn't cover the purchase in the opinion of the stand worker the actual price was stated. Although many people do ask "how much" many others simply make an offer as Cheney did, and it is either accepted or not. Ray Levan of the article obviously accepted it and as he stated felt it an honor.

- Collapse -
That's too funny

I pass half a dozen stands on my way home every night. Each one has posted prices.

What is obvious to you is, once again, diametrically opposed to what is actually the case in the real world.

Dan

- Collapse -
Must be Jersey farmers then ...

... some here in CT are similar ... others are closer to what Ed describes. Granted the farm stands we frequent usually tally up the charge, but I would venture to guess that Chris Dodd or Joe Lieberman would not get charged either.

- Collapse -
Re: Must be Jersey farmers then ...

But would those two assume and calculate their own 'discount' or would they wait for the owner to offer his generosity?

Dan

- Collapse -
Hung by your own petard...
"I pass half a dozen stands on my way home every night. Each one has posted prices."

An admission that you haven't "bought produce from a farm stand and you should just admit it" as I stated pretty clearly.

If you had actually STOPPED and made a purchase at a few you would have seen some unpriced merchandise unless NJ is different than any of the states I have had occasion to shop farmers fruit and vegetable stands in over the years.

Tonight stop and walk into a couple and see what you have been missing.

- Collapse -
How can you hang something from a petard? ? ?

I thought you would have understood the colloquial nature of the phrase I used. Considering your subject line I'll try not to missoverestimate you in future.

I have visited and patronized each of the stands, and many others. On each occasion the overwhelming majority of the products had a price displayed in some fashion. On each occasion I brought my selections to a representative of the shop to have my bill calculated. On each occasion I gave as much money as was required or more. On the occasions when I gave more than was required the representative returned to me cash in the amount equal to the amount that I had overpaid. On several occasions I was offered and accepted a price for some of the items that was less than the price displayed for that item.

Dan

- Collapse -
Your chance for an education - LOOK IT UP

The how leaps out at you.

Forget the "colloquialism" attempt--it won't fly because it wasn't.

This statement of yours refutes your earlier claim also:
On each occasion the overwhelming majority of the products had a price displayed in some fashion.

A farmer's stand is difficult to confuse with a shop but you seem to have managed. Credibility is visibly lacking in your responses, have you even seen a farmer's stand or better yet, have you ever seen a farmer?

Try again, that Super with the flower box doesn't count. Go here and at least you can say you have seen pictures of one http://home.thegrid.net/~trinityriverfarm/years.htm

You are welcome.

- Collapse -
My dictionary was sitting right next to my petard

and now there's words all over the place.

You've really slipped back into your own little world now, Ed.

Dan

- Collapse -
This just might help, Dan:)
http://www.alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxhoistw.html

A petard (see under "peter out" for the
etymology) was an explosive charge detonated by a slowly burning
fuse. If the petard went off prematurely, then the sapper (military
engineer; Shakespeare's "enginer") who planted it would be hurled
into the air by the explosion. (Compare "up" in "to blow up".) A
modern rendition might be: "It's fun to see the engineer blown up
with his own bomb."

GlendaHappy
- Collapse -
Well, speaking as someone who's grown up on a farm...

In Texas, especially around my home town, Paducah, farmers have told people they have, say, some sweet corn, or black-eyed peas -- and if you want some, just help yourself.

While some farmers in any area might sell produce at their farms I cant imagine any of them being such penny-pinchers as what some have suggested. If the Vice President of the United States of America dropped by, any farmer I have ever known, wouldve said, "Help yourself." Happy

- Collapse -
Just my point, thanks!

This particular farmer did not say that.

Dan

- Collapse -
That particular farmer said he "was honored".

And he didnt say he was honored to have been 'ripped off', did he? That says it all. Any farmer I know of wouldnt care if he were a couple of bucks short.

- Collapse -
Re: That particular farmer said he "was honored".

Even if he was honored, even if he was giddy with pleasure, he still didn't get the money he was due. There is no indication that he decided to give a discount until Cheney already calculated and took the discount on his own initiative.

Given the choice between being honored and having to call out the Vice President of the United States of America as a petty thief in front of the press corps and a bevy of armed guards, many small businessmen will choose the former. Even if only to avoid the repercussions of shining a spotlight on the truth of the latter.

Dan

CNET Forums

Forum Info