Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cheney sends viewers to anti-Bush site by mistake.

by James Denison / October 6, 2004 9:55 AM PDT
LINK

Vice President **** Cheney told viewers Tuesday night they could verify his claims from the vice-presidential debate at an independent Web site -- www.factcheck.com -- but visitors to the site found a searing anti-Bush message.
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Follow the news that matters to you. Create your own alert to be notified on topics you're interested in.
Cheney accidentally said ".com" instead of ".org" during the televised debate. Internet surfers who visited factcheck.com were redirected to the home page of billionaire anti-Bush activist George Soros....

You'd thing SOMEONE in their campaign headquarters would have had enough sense to capture "com" "net" and "org" for any name they were going to use, or not use it at all!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cheney sends viewers to anti-Bush site by mistake.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cheney sends viewers to anti-Bush site by mistake.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And ...
by Evie / October 6, 2004 10:07 AM PDT

... I've tried to go to that site several times today (the real .org site) and gotten "server too busy" errors. You would think they would have prepared for more traffic.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
speaking of mistakes
by MarciaB / October 6, 2004 10:19 AM PDT

.org, .com, .net, .edu, .gov, .OHMIGAWD!

I remember when I was still new to the computer- / Internet-thing. I was going to show my oldest son the website for the Whitehouse, and how cool it was to be able to see things like that so easily. I made the mistake of typing in .com and boy-oh-boy did we get surprised!! I discovered just how quickly I could redirect the cursor to close the resulting window. Happy

We laugh about it now, but I surely was embarrassed at the time. Happy

--Marcia

Collapse -
Same here
by James Denison / October 6, 2004 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: speaking of mistakes

Back in mid 90's, my daughter had an assignment to write about school children in another country. She had a list of different countries she could choose from. The main search engine at that time was Infoseek, so I put in Canada and school and children, and it came back with a list of sights. One that looked promising was about canadian schoolgirls, so I clicked on it. This was before the days of "front pages". Oh yeah, it was about schoolgirls, in various stages of disrobe. Had to do a quick lean-in at front of the screen and clk off the page before innocent eyes spotted it. We'd just gotten internet, so wasn't prepared for that one. Finally Donna Rice, she of Monkey Business fame got a law passed that had those sites slapping up a front entry page, at least in this country.

Collapse -
Re: speaking of mistakes; whitehouse.com's for sale,...
by Paul C / October 6, 2004 4:27 PM PDT

...as the owner/operator has decided to get out of that business. I guess he can afford to, as the site takes in an average of $150,000/month...

Collapse -
Re: don't knock it folks....rumour has it that
by jonah jones / October 6, 2004 7:58 PM PDT

Monica Lewinsky got her intern job via a whitehouse.com application...

HappyHappyHappy

Collapse -
Re: Cheney sends viewers to anti-Bush site by mistake.
by Paul C / October 6, 2004 4:46 PM PDT
You'd thing SOMEONE in their campaign headquarters would have had enough sense to capture "com" "net" and "org" for any name they were going to use, or not use it at all!

Actually, James, Factcheck.org is NOT a dependency of the Republican Party:

Our Mission

We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.

The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by an endowment from the Annenberg Foundation.

Factcheck.COM is a property of George Soros, who to date has dropped some $60 million into left wing 527 organizations such as MoveOn.org and America Coming Together.

Given that most polls still have President Bush either trailing by a margin well within the margin of error or leading Sen. Kerry, I respectfully submit that Mr. Soros has not received the return on investment that he expected...;-)
Collapse -
Re: Soros -- wait a month, Paul!

>>I respectfully submit that Mr. Soros has not received the return on investment that he expected..<<

Collapse -
The funniest part is....
by Josh K / October 6, 2004 11:40 PM PDT

....that if you go to factcheck.org and read up on Halliburton, you'll find that Edwards' debate statements were accurate.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!